Dodge Dart Forum banner

Can’t figure out the issue?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GUNHEAT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Just joined so I could come here for help to see if I can figure out the issue before giving up and putting it in the shop. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart Limited with the 1.4l turbo 6 speed manual. About two months ago or so, I was driving and all of a sudden I felt this hiccup happen - went from driving normal to absolutely no power. Even with my foot to the floor I was slowly decreasing in speed. The check engine light then came on. I pulled over, turned the car off and popped the hood. Nothing seemed wrong. So I went and started the car again, and the car went back to driving okay again, albeit there was considerably less power/acceleration, but it still got up to highway speed somewhat fine. I checked the light code and it came up as a turbo underboost code. So I started doing some research, and learned this is a somewhat common issue with these. I saw, on this forum actually, the culprit was the vacuum boost solenoid (I think that’s what it’s called) it’s what has the vacuum lines from the turbo hooked into it. So I ordered a new one to replace it. In the meantime, I serviced the whole turbo. The turbo itself still works perfect mechanically, so that was fine. I noticed the wastegate arm was a little loose so I tightened it up just a bit. Replaced all the vacuum lines and hoses. Etc. Then the solenoid came in. So I put the new actuator on, excited to finally have my car back at 100% and - fart noise the same issue was happening. Every time the car dies and I feel it lose the power, I just have to throw it in neutral (thank god it’s a standard) turn the car off, wait a second then turn it back on, and it “corrects” it (although like I said it still only has about maybe 50% of its power) and I just have to be careful not to use too much throttle otherwise it’ll trigger it again and again. I can still get into high rpm’s, everything else works perfectly fine. It’s just this one issue. I noticed a valve at the base of the turbo that seemed to stick a little bit, but doesn’t make sense how turning the car on and off again would fix that so idk. And dodge doesn’t sell that valve separately, they said I’d have to replace the entire turbo system, which I really don’t want to do. So I think it’s an electrical issue but I don’t know. It doesn’t make sense to me and I don’t know where to go from here. Help? Much appreciated everyone.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are lots of posts about P0299 if you search.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P0299-00-TURBOCHARGER UNDERBOOST CONDITION

Theory of Operation

The base Turbocharger boost pressure is managed by the mechanical Wastegate. The Wastegate is a mechanical valve that, when opened, allows exhaust gases to flow around the turbine. The Wastegate is spring loaded in the closed position. Boost pressure is applied to a diaphragm that works against the spring pressure of the Wastegate. When the force created by the boost pressure exceeds the spring force in the Wastegate, the valve opens. This limits boost pressure by limiting the speed of the Turbocharger. Boost pressure is applied against the spring pressure of the Wastegate to control the speed of the Turbocharger. The Wastegate Solenoid is Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) by the PCM and is located between the compressor and mechanical Wastegate. When opened by the PCM, the Wastegate Solenoid bleeds boost pressure away from the mechanical wastegate, this allows the PCM to increase boost pressure to a level higher than would be allowed by the mechanical wastegate alone. The system operates as follows; boost pressure is supplied to the Wastegate Solenoid through a hose connected to the compressor side of the Turbocharger. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) varies the PWM signal to the Wastegate Solenoid to control the amount of boost pressure applied against the Wastegate. When more boost pressure is needed, the Wastegate Solenoid will direct more of the boost pressure to the clean air tube upstream of the Turbocharger and less against the Wastegate spring.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
•DTCs P0033, P0034, P0035, P0237, P0238, P0299, P006C, P006D, P012B, P1185, P2261, P2262 are not present..

Set Conditions:

•The PCM detects that the difference between the Boost Pressure Sensor desired value minus the actual reading is above a calibrated value for the driving conditions.

Default Actions:

•MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

RESTRICTED AIR FILTER
BOOST SYSTEM PRESSURE HOSES RESTRICTED OR LEAKING
SMALL INTAKE SYSTEM LEAK OR RESTRICTION
EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTION
WASTEGATE SOLENOID
WASTEGATE VALVE STICKING
TURBOCHARGER (DRAGGING TURBINE)

#4 ·
The rest of the diagnostic tree:

1.CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

1. Turn the ignition on.

2. Test drive the vehicle.

3. With the scan tool, read DTCs and record on the repair order.

Is the DTC active or pending?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Perform the INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2.CHECK THE AIR FILTER

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Remove and inspect the Air Filter and housing inlet for snow, soiling or excessive dirt and debris which may cause air flow restriction.

Were any of these problems found?

Yes

•Replace the Air Filter or remove the obstruction.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 3

3.CHECK FOR INTAKE SYSTEM LEAKS OR RESTRICTIONS

NOTE: Damaged, restricted or poorly connected Intake System and Turbocharger System related tubes can cause this DTC to set.

1. Inspect all air intake, crankcase vent and Turbocharger related hoses/tubes and clamps for leaks or damage.

2. Inspect all boost pressure system hoses for leaks or restrictions.

3. Inspect the Intercooler Assembly for signs of a leak.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair or replace as necessary.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 4

4.CHECK FOR EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTIONS

1. Inspect the complete exhaust system for damaged, bent or clogged pipes that can cause exhaust system restrictions and excessive back pressure.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair or replace as necessary.

No

•Go To 5

5.WASTEGATE AND SOLENOID INSPECTION

1. Inspect the Wastegate Solenoid, linkage and the Wastegate for proper operation. Refer to the appropriate Service Information.

2. Inspect and test each of the Wastegate Solenoid vacuum/pressure hoses between the engine, the Wastegate Solenoid and the Wastegate Valve.

3. Inspect and test each of the Wastegate Solenoid electrical circuits between the solenoid connector and PCM C1 harness connector.

NOTE: Test each electrical circuit for high resistance, a short to ground and a short to voltage.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair as necessary.

No

•Repair or replace the Turbocharger in accordance with the Service Information.