Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody deep into engine mods done anything to tweak cam timing? This engine has a unique timing method when installing a new timing belt, in that the cam drive sprocket can turn freely while the cam and the crank are held in place by the special tools.

My question is: Has anybody put a degree wheel on the cam and tweaked exhaust valve timing to get better performance? One would think that with the intake valve timing controlled by the Multiair module, that advancing exhaust valve timing would bump up low end power, or retarding it may help the turbo to spool faster.

I'm a machinist for my day job, and I'm thinking how easy it would be to mimic the cam holding tool, only with the ability to adjust cam timing 5 degrees one way or the other...

...just a thought as I contemplate this timing belt/oil pump/con-rod bearing job.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the camshaft sensor monitors the exhaust cam on the 1.4L. It would not surprise me that even a little deviation would throw a code.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh yeah the Cam sensor next to the Air Pump housing is super sensitive!
I had to redo my timing more than 10 times before I realized that me setting the Timing belt tension, with the cam lock plate in place...
Was preloading the cam with just enough tension to move about 1mm when I would remove the Cam lock plate.
That little bit of timing deviance was noticed, and the PCM was telling me that my camshaft was faulty, and the PCM went into a limp mode.

Now if I had my PCM flashed to allow it, that might work.
Best option is to contact one of the shops that have the ability to do that kind of PCM modification, so you can have the ability to make that mechanical modification.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts