Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His all I have a 2013 Dart with the 1.4 turbo 92k on it. My mechanic had it and he erased the codes with his Alcatel scanner after the CEL light came on. When he put on the scanner again it's saying it's need to camshaft relearn. My mechanic said he would research it and get back with me. The car runs and drives great. Any ideas how to do the relearn process?

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
What code are you getting? A relearn should almost never need to be done. If your timing belt skipped a tooth, doing a relearn will make the PCM think that the new position is correct. Perhaps instead, you should be thinking about replacing the timing belt instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded the alpha OBD2 scanner attachment and scan the code and it came back as p0315 I did the timing procedure that I've seen before to relearn the sensor and it said completed but I turn the car back on and the light was still there any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P0315-00-NO CRANK SENSOR LEARNED

Theory of Operation

The Crankshaft Position System learn feature is used to calculate reference errors caused by slight tolerance variations in the crankshaft, target wheel and the crankshaft position sensors. The calculated error allows the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to accurately compensate for reference variations. The Crankshaft Position System variation compensating values are learned and stored in the PCM memory during a decel fuel shutoff event. If the CKP System variation values are not learned and stored in the PCM memory, DTC P0315 sets. If the actual crankshaft variation is not within the CKP systems window stored in the PCM, DTC P1300 sets and the values are not learned.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored:

•This diagnostic runs continuously with the ignition on.

Set Conditions:

•The CKP system variation values are not stored in the PCM memory.

Default Actions:

•MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

CRANK POSITION LEARN PROCEDURE NOT PERFORMED AND STORED IN THE PCM
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1.PERFORM THE TLC RELEARN PROCEDURE

NOTE:
The Clear Misfire TLC Miscellaneous Function must be performed using the scan tool anytime there has been a repair/replacement made to a powertrain system, for example: flywheel, valvetrain, camshaft and/or crankshaft sensors or related components.

1. Turn the ignition on.

2. With the scan tool, select PCM/Misc. Functions/Clear Misfire TLC and follow the on screen instructions.

NOTE:
If a negative response is displayed after the Clear Misfire TLC procedure is performed, start the engine and perform the Clear Misfire TLC procedure over until the misfire monitor is cleared.

3. Start the engine and allow the coolant temperature to increase above 60°C (140°F).

4. With the scan tool, select Monitors / OBD II Monitors / Misfire Monitor Screen, and observe the Misfire Monitor Status.

5. Perform a 6000 rpm WOT stab and let the engine return to idle.

NOTE:
The status should change from waiting to in progress, verifying that the misfire monitor is active and the learn procedure is complete.

Did the PCM complete the TLC Relearn procedure?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Start the process over until the Relearn procedure is completed.

2.CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Turn the ignition on, engine not running.

3. With the scan tool, erase all DTCs.

4. Start the engine and allow it to idle.

5. With the scan tool, read DTCs and record on the repair order.

Is the DTC active or pending?

Yes

•Go To 3

No

•Repair is complete.

3.WIRE HARNESS INSPECTION

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Visually inspect the CKP wire harness. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.

3. Visually inspect the CKP wire harness connectors. Look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.

4. Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Crank Position Sensor and Powertrain Control Module connectors.

5. Ensure that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is properly installed and the mounting bolts are torqued to the proper specification.

Were any of the above conditions present?

Yes

•Repair as necessary
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 4

4.TONE WHEEL/VIBRATION DAMPER INSPECTION

1. Remove the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (Refer to 14 - Fuel System/Fuel Injection/SENSOR, Crankshaft Position - Removal) .

2. Inspect the Tone Wheel/Flex Plate for damage, foreign material, or excessive movement.

Were any problems found?

Yes

•Repair or replace the Tone Wheel/Vibration Damper as necessary. (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block/DAMPER, Vibration/Removal) .
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 5

5.CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair.

Repair

•Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (Refer to 14 - Fuel System/Fuel Injection/SENSOR, Crankshaft Position - Removal) .

·
Registered
4 Posts
just on alphaobd run clear missfire tcl or whatever it is and then run the timing/cam relearn and in park rev to 6k and turn car off and then turn to run and clear codes...done thank me later lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
His all I have a 2013 Dart with the 1.4 turbo 92k on it. My mechanic had it and he erased the codes with his Alcatel scanner after the CEL light came on. When he put on the scanner again it's saying it's need to camshaft relearn. My mechanic said he would research it and get back with me. The car runs and drives great. Any ideas how to do the relearn process?

Why bother if your car runs great?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts