Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as my title says I am experiencing a frustrating issue with my 2013 2.0 with 115,000 miles. It hesitates and bucks so bad that at highway speeds it will actually shut the cruise control off. It had a CEL when it started so I took it to a reputable local mechanic and it came back as the downstream O2 sensor. I replaced it and the bucking came right back with another CEL. This time it had several codes (can't remember the numbers) but they were for the O2 sensor again and the PCM shutting down. The mechanic inspected everything and saw nothing obvious wrong so they reset the CEL and took it on three drive cycles with no issues. I drove it to work the next day and before I left my neighborhood the CEL was back on but no bucking. This time the upstream CEL was the only code. Replaced it with a factory NTK direct replacement, the downstream was a Bosch unit. I unplugged the battery for 15 minutes and it reset the CEL. Drove it to work and bucking is as bad as ever with no CEL so far. I'm at my wits end with this car! Any thoughts or recommendations? Anyone have this happen before?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Mopars do not seem to like Bosch O2 sensors. Wiring and connectors should be checked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mopars do not seem to like Bosch O2 sensors. Wiring and connectors should be checked.
Thanks. I'm waiting to see if a CEL comes back and see what it points to. The mechanic double checked all connectors and wiring and found no issues. The saga continues...

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Post the code numbers when you get them. Generic descriptions don't really help. When a problem is intermittent, it's almost always wiring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post the code numbers when you get them. Generic descriptions don't really help. When a problem is intermittent, it's almost always wiring.
Okay, here's the codes it has/had. P0032, P0038, P0133, P0685, P0688. I should also mention that I replaced all of the coil packs and put in all new spark plugs to eliminate that from the equation.
Is it possible for the gas pedal servo to go bad? That's what it feels like, like the signal to the engine is being interrupted somehow. It did start bucking again on the way home and finally the CEL is back on. I don't have a code reader so I will have to get it read tomorrow. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
You have a wiring problem. The heater circuit is what makes the O2 sensors heat up rapidly so that the PCM gets accurate sensor readings. The AutoShutdownRelay circuit also has a wiring problem. Probably a broken wire. You need to use a multimeter to find what's not letting the PCM get what it needs. This is NOT a replace a part fix. If your local mechanic is just a part changer, find someone that can do a proper diagnosis

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.0L / Diagnosis and Testing

P0032-O2 SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
•Battery voltage between 10.5 and 15.75 volts.
•The ASD Relay powered on.
•DTC P0031 is not active.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects an open (heater resistance 40 ohms or more) in the Oxygen Sensor 1/1 heater control circuit for at least 2.16 seconds.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

O2 SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
OXYGEN SENSOR 1/1
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.0L / Diagnosis and Testing

P0038-O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
•Battery voltage between 10.5 and 15.75 volts.
•The ASD Relay powered on.
•DTC P0037 is not active.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects an open in the Oxygen Sensor 1/2 Heater Control circuit..

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
OXYGEN SENSOR 1/2

P0133-O2 SENSOR 1/1 SLOW RESPONSE

•With the engine running in closed loop fueling.
•Engine speed between 1200 and 3500 rpm.
•Engine coolant temperature above 60°C (140°F).
•Engine run time greater than 90 seconds.
•Vehicle speed between 20 and 75 mph (32 and 120.7 km/h)

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the Oxygen Sensor switching frequency is slower than the minimum response expected.

Default Actions:

•MIL light will illuminate.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

EXHAUST SYSTEM LEAK
O2 SENSOR 1/1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
O2 SENSOR 1/1 RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
O2 SENSOR 1/1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR 1/1 RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR 1/1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
O2 SENSOR 1/1 RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
OXYGEN SENSOR 1/1

P0685-ASD/MAIN CONTROL CIRCUIT

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following conditions are met:

•When the ignition is turned on the PCM continuously monitors for a circuit high fault condition.
•When the ignition is turned off, during after-run mode of operation, the PCM monitors for an open or circuit low fault condition.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects and open or short in the ASD Relay control circuitry.

Default Actions:

•This is a non MIL fault.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

ASD RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
ASD RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
ASD RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER (PDC)
ASD RELAY

P0688-ASD/MAIN SENSE CIRCUIT

•With the ignition on.
•Battery voltage above approximately 10.4 volts.

Set Conditions:

•No voltage sensed on the ASD Control Output circuit at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when the ASD relay is energized.

Default Actions:

•This is a non MIL fault.
•If the vehicle is equipped with the stop/start feature, the system will be disabled when this DTC is active.

Possible Causes

ASD CONTROL OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
ASD CONTROL OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
ASD/MAIN RELAY
POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER (PDC)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Case, thank you for the detailed response. The most common factor I see in the possible causes is the PCM. If all the wires look okay and read out correctly than it's safe to assume I have a bad PCM?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
The possible causes are listed in order of probability. The PCM is the last and least likely possibility and the most expensive. Every bad PCM I have ever seen was unable to start or run the car.

Reactions: toddb67
1 - 8 of 8 Posts