Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm fairly new to all this but I needed some advice. I bought a 2016 dodge dart se a week ago and drove it off the lot with 38 miles on it. First ever brand new car! Drove it around the city I bought it in and then drove it home the next day which is about 70 miles away and up a mountain pass highway. I was never informed about breaking the engine in under 300 miles (which I found in the manual), so I therefore like anyone else I tested what that 6 speed had. Got it up to about 90ish mph a few times and "drove it like I stole it" versus taking it nice and easy, because I've never had a new car or was informed to do so. I now have a ticking noise in the engine while idling and louder when I push the clutch in. Over the last couple days it seems louder and almost like something is knocking. Took it to the nearby dodge in my town and told it's the sound of the valves. I've never owned a 4 cylinder or a dodge but didn't really by it, especially now that it's louder. Can hear the transmission louder and more like a car with over 80k miles on it and not like when I drove off in it with 38 miles and now 305 miles on it.. please help since it is going in for headlight seal replacements this week. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum! "Ticking" is generally related to lack of lubrication on you lifters, check you oil level.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Depending on the ticking you hear, some ticking is normal in multi-air engines. Take it to the dealer and let them listen. Oh almost forgot, do not mention the spirited driving - They do not need to know that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
be careful of posting dealer names and your name because, on the Audi form I'm a member of, lots of their emps were also members of the form and knew stuff he didn't want them to know. Good luck with figuring it out.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Yes I have checked the oil levels and the dealership has too, the 4 times I've taken it in there for the knocking/ticking noise. To the point of returning it or blowing it up to get it fixed. Any other thoughts?
I was assuming you had a 2.4 since most darts are that, but then I noticed after reading again you said SE. So that would be 2.0 only. The 2.0 is a quite engine. Especially compared to the 2.4 and 1.4 with multiair.

I had a 2.0, you couldn't tell it was on at idle. The 2.4 though, VERY TICKY. The multiair is loud. People compare my car to a diesel. lol

So if you do have the 2.0 than it wouldn't be normal as @DARTanian stated. But everything he did say is true.

Do you happen to have some time to make a video and post it to youtube for us to listen? Video quality kills the actual in person effect, but that might help.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you get the issue solved. I wouldn't worry too much about it since you have a 60K mile powertrain warranty. Just make sure you keep track of your dealer visits in case you need the info in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello! I'm fairly new to all this but I needed some advice. I bought a 2016 dodge dart se a week ago and drove it off the lot with 38 miles on it. First ever brand new car! Drove it around the city I bought it in and then drove it home the next day which is about 70 miles away and up a mountain pass highway. I was never informed about breaking the engine in under 300 miles (which I found in the manual), so I therefore like anyone else I tested what that 6 speed had. Got it up to about 90ish mph a few times and "drove it like I stole it" versus taking it nice and easy, because I've never had a new car or was informed to do so. I now have a ticking noise in the engine while idling and louder when I push the clutch in. Over the last couple days it seems louder and almost like something is knocking. Took it to the nearby dodge in my town and told it's the sound of the valves. I've never owned a 4 cylinder or a dodge but didn't really by it, especially now that it's louder. Can hear the transmission louder and more like a car with over 80k miles on it and not like when I drove off in it with 38 miles and now 305 miles on it.. please help since it is going in for headlight seal replacements this week. Thanks!
I read somewhere that these darts are loud under 90k 100k miles idk if that’s legit but maybe mines loud too kind (automatic) with 46k miles on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts