Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people have the Brakemotive slotted and drilled brake kit for the Dart. Since installing mine this past weekend I sometimes get a wub-wub-wub sound from the front when coasting with no throttle input. Even the lightest brake pressure stops it, so I know it's brake related, but I'm just wondering if it's normal or not for these brakes. The front calipers seemed fine, and the slide pins move nicely. There was no unusual wear on the old front pads or rotors, and the new pads were installed without issue with new hardware.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I know a lot of people have the Brakemotive slotted and drilled brake kit for the Dart. Since installing mine this past weekend I sometimes get a wub-wub-wub sound from the front when coasting with no throttle input. Even the lightest brake pressure stops it, so I know it's brake related, but I'm just wondering if it's normal or not for these brakes. The front calipers seemed fine, and the slide pins move nicely. There was no unusual wear on the old front pads or rotors, and the new pads were installed without issue with new hardware.
It’s just a sound that comes with have drilled/slotted rotors. I have the same kit and when I first installed it I had that sound too (sounds similar to a card in a bicycle tire).

Keep an eye on how the anti rust coating lasts over the winter. Mine rusted after one winter. They perform well and the rust is just superficial but I was disappointed with how it looked after 7 months. I contacted their customer service and even though it was under their “warranty” I was told that I was in a harsh climate and wasn’t covered.

August 2018

March 2019

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s just a sound that comes with have drilled/slotted rotors. I have the same kit and when I first installed it I had that sound too (sounds similar to a card in a bicycle tire).

Keep an eye on how the anti rust coating lasts over the winter. Mine rusted after one winter. They perform well and the rust is just superficial but I was disappointed with how it looked after 7 months. I contacted their customer service and even though it was under their “warranty” I was told that I was in a harsh climate and wasn’t covered.

August 2018

March 2019
Well that's unfortunate, I was hoping they'd be less prone to rust. Still, we paid discount prices for what are basically PowerStop brakes (they're apparently made in the same factory, and my pads had what appeared to be PowerStop part numbers on them, Z16 and Z17 I think), and I even unexpectedly got front and rear hardware kits in the box too! I didn't need them, since I had already ordered some, but it was still a pleasant surprise. These brakes are definitely a nice upgrade from OEM. The Dart has excellent brakes, but these are better than OEM and even if cross-drilling and slotting rotors has no performance benefits, it looks good.

PS. You might want to replace that dust cap in the second picture if you haven't already. They're like $6 or something and I'm pretty sure they're the primary protection against contamination of the rear wheel bearings. I removed mine because I used the brake puller I accidentally ordered on Amazon to get the rotors off, and I was careful not to damage them. The area behind them was absolutely pristine with not a speck of dirt or corrosion, which is why I suspect it serves an important role in protecting the bearings.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
@jsblanch I replaced them with a lower profile version to accommodate the rear center caps on my aftermarket wheels. I had to beat the end a little to get them to fit with the wheels. They’re a little beat us cosmetically but all sealed up.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Yep just the sound of having drilled and slotted rotors. tore into my calipers 3 times when i upgraded mine to find the source and found out that it was just as designed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts