Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake light won't turn off unless I pull up on my brake pedal. It stays on whether the car is off or on. I found this piece next to my pedal,(see attached image) I'm assuming its a part that came off that has to do with the brake system. Does anyone know what I can do?
20200304_183518.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,291 Posts
Not sure what that piece is, it does not look like a part of the brake light switch. You likely need to replace the switch since it cannot be adjusted. It's buried under the dash above the brake pedal. You can try extending the plunger, #3 in the pic, but not sure if it will stay. It used to be years ago that brake switches let you adjust and this one probably doesn't.

08 - Electrical / 8L - Lamps and Lighting / Lamps/Lighting - Exterior / SWITCH, Stop Lamp / Description

DESCRIPTION

The brake (or stop) lamp switch (1) is a two-circuit, spring-loaded plunger actuated switch that is secured to the brake pedal support bracket under the instrument panel on the driver side of the vehicle. The molded plastic switch housing has an integral connector receptacle (4) containing four terminal pins. The switch is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated take out and connector of the body wire harness.

The switch plunger (3) extends through a mounting collar (2) on one end of the switch housing. The plunger has a telescoping self-adjustment feature that is activated as the switch is being installed by the brake pedal in its normal at-rest position.

This brake lamp switch cannot be repaired. If the switch is damaged or ineffective it must be replaced with a new unit.

It's possible that little piece you found was stuffed on top of the plunger to extend it's length so it would shut off. You might be able to find a replacement at a self serve junkyard. This is what it actually looks like:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ks
My brake light won't turn off unless I pull up on my brake pedal. It stays on whether the car is off or on. I found this piece next to my pedal,(see attached image) I'm assuming its a part that came off that has to do with the brake system. Does anyone know what I can do? View attachment 125537
My brake light won't turn off unless I pull up on my brake pedal. It stays on whether the car is off or on. I found this piece next to my pedal,(see attached image) I'm assuming its a part that came off that has to do with the brake system. Does anyone know what I can do? View attachment 125537
did you ever figure this out I’m having the same problem

·
Super Moderator
3,291 Posts
It's the brake light switch. Replace it.

08 - Electrical / 8L - Lamps and Lighting / Lamps/Lighting - Exterior / SWITCH, Stop Lamp / Removal

REMOVAL

WARNING:
To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, Occupant Classification System (OCS), seat belt tensioner, impact sensor or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment.

CAUTION:
Never remove or install the brake lamp switch while the brake pedal arm is disassembled from the brake booster push rod.

CAUTION:
Do not depress, lift or move the brake pedal during brake lamp switch removal to avoid switch damage. Do not depress, lift or move the brake pedal during brake lamp switch installation to avoid improper switch adjustment.

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. If equipped with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), disconnect the IBS connector first before disconnecting the negative battery cable.

2.Locate the brake lamp switch (1) on the brake pedal support bracket (2) on the dash panel under the instrument panel.

3.Disconnect the body wire harness connector from the brake lamp switch.

NOTE: If a click noise is heard during switch removal, the switch may have internal damage and should be replaced.

4. Press the brake lamp switch against the bracket while rotating the switch housing clockwise about 45 degrees to align the tabs on the switch locking collar with the keyed hole in the brake pedal support bracket.

5.Pull the switch straight away from the keyed hole to remove it from the bracket.

6.Remove the switch from the vehicle.

7.If damage to the switch is present for any reason the switch is to be replaced. If a switch is removed and the plunger length differs from a new switch, the switch should always be replaced and not reinstalled. The nominal height for a new switch (tip of the plunger to the body of the switch) is 16.90mm.
•1 - Defective brake switch due to the switch tab being sheared off.
•2 - Defective brake switch due to the switch tab being offset.
•3 - Normal operational brake lamp switch to be used for installation.

08 - Electrical / 8L - Lamps and Lighting / Lamps/Lighting - Exterior / SWITCH, Stop Lamp / Installation

INSTALLATION

WARNING:
To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, Occupant Classification System (OCS), seat belt tensioner, impact sensor or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment.

CAUTION:
Never remove or install the brake lamp switch while the brake pedal arm is disassembled from the brake booster push rod.

CAUTION:
Do not depress, lift or move the brake pedal during brake lamp switch removal to avoid switch damage. Do not depress, lift or move the brake pedal during brake lamp switch installation to avoid improper switch adjustment.

NOTE:
Be certain that the brake pedal bracket is not bent or damaged before installing or reinstalling a brake lamp switch. Inspect the brake switch tab location making sure its in the proper location indicating that the switch is not defective.

NOTE:
Be certain that the brake pedal bracket is not bent before installing or reinstalling a brake lamp switch.

1.Position the brake lamp switch (1) near the brake pedal support bracket (2) on the dash panel under the instrument panel.

2.Align the tabs on the brake lamp switch locking collar with the keyed hole in the brake pedal support bracket.

3.Holding the brake lamp switch perpendicular to the support bracket, insert the tabs on the brake lamp switch locking collar through the keyed hole in the support bracket until the switch housing is firmly seated against the bracket.

4.Rotate the switch housing counterclockwise about 45 degrees to engage the tabs on the locking collar with the support bracket.

5.Reconnect the body wire harness connector to the connector receptacle on the switch.

6.Reconnect the battery negative cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts