Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my dart to a local mechanic and he diagnosed the problem as a blown head gasket. I was getting multiple misfire codes, rough cold start, and white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. Mechanic said he was short handed and could not work on it for me. Does anybody know the cost if I take it into the dealer? Dodge was no help when I called, they wouldn’t even give me a ballpark price. I was gonna have my buddy do it but I don’t even know everything that I need. I know I should probably change the timing belt and water pump as well, but does anybody have any website to go to for the head gasket kit as well as the water pump and timing belt?

·
Registered
605 Posts
No one here will be able to tell you a price for getting it done. It differs by dealer and location.

What you should be doing, is calling your local dealer(s) and ask them: What their labour rate is and What the hours to do a headgasket on the 1.4 is.

I would not recommend taking the 1.4 to regular mechanic, as they more than likely will not have the proper tools for timing, and almost definitely will not have the tools for the removal of the multiair brick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2013 dodge dart 1.4L turbo has gone through a gallon+ of coolant in a few days yet there is no sign of a coolant leak anywhere. The other day while accelerating from a stop sign my car starts sounding like a marble in a rattle can and today I notice it has no coolant again after being refilled a week ago. the only code that comes up on my OBD reader is (multiple misfires multiple cylinders). I am suspecting a head gasket failure. coolant getting into the cylinders. Any thoughts on this?

I will most likely be doing the work myself because I don't really trust any of the local shops to do the work. The last shop I took my car to lost or damaged about a $1,000 dollars in parts and all they did was replace the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My 2013 dodge dart 1.4L turbo has gone through a gallon+ of coolant in a few days yet there is no sign of a coolant leak anywhere. The other day while accelerating from a stop sign my car starts sounding like a marble in a rattle can and today I notice it has no coolant again after being refilled a week ago. the only code that comes up on my OBD reader is (multiple misfires multiple cylinders). I am suspecting a head gasket failure. coolant getting into the cylinders. Any thoughts on this?

I will most likely be doing the work myself because I don't really trust any of the local shops to do the work. The last shop I took my car to lost or damaged about a $1,000 dollars in parts and all they did was replace the vacuum pump.
If you do, if possible you should do a write up on how you did it. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you do, if possible you should do a write up on how you did it. :)
I will do my best since it looks like there is nothing out there. The fun part will be finding the parts I need to do the job since many of the parts for this car are no longer available. I do know the 1.4L have a problem with warped heads and finding a replacement if one is available could be pricey at best.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I will do my best since it looks like there is nothing out there. The fun part will be finding the parts I need to do the job since many of the parts for this car are no longer available. I do know the 1.4L have a problem with warped heads and finding a replacement if one is available could be pricey at best.
RockAuto claims to have 1 left.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I spoke with the service manager at the local dealer and he reminded me that the turbo uses both oil and coolant and if the seals are going out on it, it will use lots of coolant but probably not like it would with a blown head gasket. This will give the misfire codes but without all the white smoke normally seen with a blown head gasket. I have also recently noticed that I haven't been getting the boost I was getting when I bought the car. My starter also went out at the same time so while I was removing parts to access the top bolt of the starter I notice coolant in the intercooler pipe. (possible confirmation of bad seals in the turbo?). So after I get the starter replaced I will take my car into the dealer and have them test for the head gasket and see if they can confirm the bad turbo. ( I am really hoping its the turbo because this will cost about 1/3 of what a blown head gasket will AND I can easily do the turbo myself. 😃👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I took my dart to a local mechanic and he diagnosed the problem as a blown head gasket. I was getting multiple misfire codes, rough cold start, and white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. Mechanic said he was short handed and could not work on it for me. Does anybody know the cost if I take it into the dealer? Dodge was no help when I called, they wouldn’t even give me a ballpark price. I was gonna have my buddy do it but I don’t even know everything that I need. I know I should probably change the timing belt and water pump as well, but does anybody have any website to go to for the head gasket kit as well as the water pump and timing belt?
My local dealer gave me a base price of about $1900.00 but this is if there are no other problems or issues. (The price goes up significantly if there are any issues such as warped head, head bolts pulled out of the block). if you do a timing belt you will just add the cost of the belt to the price (roughly $30) because the belt has to come off anyway to replace the head gasket. if you also need a tensioner then you will add the cost of labor and the part. You may also want to replace the water pump / thermostat while your doing the head gasket. you will save a lot on labor if you do it now rather than later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts