Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I need a little help here .. I’ve Had my 2015 Dodge Dart not even 90 days yet ... And My Battery Light Is Giving me issues back to back.. not even 2 days after purchasing It Pops on I took it to the shop the first time & they put an aftermarket Alternator In , The light comes on again like a week later ... so i took it back & they put the ORIGINAL Dodge OE Alternator in ... Its Been 3 Days And It’s Back on Again.. do anybody know what the problem could be ?

·
Super Moderator
3,279 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? Check the voltage at the battery when it's running. It should be at least 13 volts. If so, it's not the alternator. If it's 12 volts or less, check the voltage at the alternator stud. If it's 13 volts or more, check the 200 amp fuse on top of the battery and the red wire between the alternator stud and the fuse for continuity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check the history of the battery. It could be old and getting weak. My 13 GT pinged the battery indicator with the factory battery. Haven’t seen it since I replaced the battery last winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response .. i just recently checked the battery .. I never knew CCA can be the cause of it... The minimum for my dart is 600 CCA ... But i bought the car with a 580 CCA .. So do you think that may be the reason?

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Thanks for the response .. i just recently checked the battery .. I never knew CCA can be the cause of it... The minimum for my dart is 600 CCA ... But i bought the car with a 580 CCA .. So do you think that may be the reason?
I am honestly surprised they replaced the alternator before the battery. Battery would have been a lot cheaper. Actually I was assuming this was work covered by the shop you bought it from, but it might have been out of your pocket. If it was, then of course they will do the alternator, because that will cost more and then they will charge you for a new battery.

If the CCA is too low, then yeah that might be it. If the alternator is new and it's still coming on, I would assume battery. Which in relation, will be a lot cheaper and any auto parts store will install for you if you can make it there. The dealer/store you bought it from probably had it, the battery died, and they threw the cheapest battery they could find in it to get it off the lot. So that would be my suggestion, but also see what codes come back before buying the battery. The auto part store should be able to look these up for you too, I think the scanner should pick up the battery light error, or maybe there is no code for that and simple just a battery issue light. That I do not know. Worth a check.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys , I need a little help here .. I’ve Had my 2015 Dodge Dart not even 90 days yet ... And My Battery Light Is Giving me issues back to back.. not even 2 days after purchasing It Pops on I took it to the shop the first time & they put an aftermarket Alternator In , The light comes on again like a week later ... so i took it back & they put the ORIGINAL Dodge OE Alternator in ... Its Been 3 Days And It’s Back on Again.. do anybody know what the problem could be ?
I got my 2016 Dart in March of 2017 and the battery did not last a year - so that's about 2 years on the oem battery before it died. Any parts store should be able to check the battery while it is in the car. Another way is to check the voltage of the battery while the car is not running and has sit overnight or so. You should still have 12 or so volts. Anywhere near 10v or less, and the battery is dying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts