Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dart SXT Automatic 2.0L

So I am posting this to see if anyone else is having this issue cause I'm at my wits end. Since I have had my dart I have had the battery light go off numerous times especially after an auto-start but not limited to it. Been happening for months now and it seems to happen a lot in 35 degrees or bellow weather. I have now taken my car to the dealer 5 times and still no fix.

On my first visit they tell me its my thumb drive causing the issue and they were able to see the issue happen. On my second visit they tell me the car has a slight over charge and that's causing the issue. On my third visit they tell me the checked all the wires and connections and they seem to be fine. On my fourth visit they updated the power control module based on Chrysler's updated firmware. On my fifth visit they involved Chrysler and they told them to check the wires and connections again!! So they checked the connections and also updated the power control module firmware again. Even though they have already done this. I'm getting a little tired of having to take this thing in...

I'm now going into the dealer for my sixth visit. When i spoke to the guy who runs the service dept. he said to me I think its time we try replacing the battery. I said yeah I don't know why they haven't tried this yet... Another thing I'm worried about is the longevity of my car now rolling around with this issue for months now.. It has gone from being a matter of ok its a new model of car we are going to have these issues to now thinking something is totally wrong.

Also after the last PCM update my car will no longer auto-start after sitting off for some time. Usually with this situation it will beep twice and try to start but fail and then trying to auto-start again it beeps once and does nothing. Also after this i get in my car and try to start it and it doesn't start. It almost seems like it was a frozen gas line issue but this has happened twice now. The engine will try to turn on and just keeps on turning over till it decides to give up and stop trying to spark the engine.

If anyone has had this issue and knows a fix or has any ideas please let me know. Also if there are questions on this issue i will try to explain further or answer them to the best of my ability. I'm |-----| close to calling lemon law on this. If anyone thinks this is a good idea and has gone through the process before, what is the best route to take with this or how would I go about going through with that properly? I love my Dart and would love to keep it or get a new one. This is getting just ridiculous though...

Thanks Everyone!! New User here today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! I have this EXACT issue!!!

And you are the only person on the internet that I could find that has the same problem.

Did you ever get this resolved?? I know you posted this a long time ago but hopefully you see this...

Anything you could tell me would super helpful..

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi channer,

Unfortunately I haven't found a fix for this yet. I had a Star report opened with Dodge to figure this out but unfortunately after being in the shop SIX times I still haven't figured out the root of this yet. Winter ended and it no longer happened until about two days ago. I'm going to be taking it in again soon to continue this quest to figure out wtf is going on. Its pretty annoying. In the six times I was there the checked the wires and plugs to make sure everything was connected fine but unfortunately no idea still. They for some reason can't seem to get this to happen when its in the shop. I feel like they think I am lying so I have resorted to recording this on video happening why I am driving to show them that I am not out of my mind. So I will let you know what I find out. Ill post my result from taking my car in here in this thread. Me and you should work together because this thing is just insane and I have wasted so much time at the shop trying to figure it out. I suggest you take your car in too and post up here, your findings and hopefully we can get this resolved together.

I have had other problems to during the summer like the traction control error light come on while driving when i first start my car up and it turning off only after about a mile of driving. Have you experienced this as well?

Love the car but hate these annoying bugs that dodge who are supposed to be the professionals can't seem to figure out..

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Next time it happens try to pull over and if it's still on check the voltage the alternator is putting out with a volt meter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had this happen to me this morning on the way to work -- it's 15 degrees. The car sits in a relatively warm garage so starting has not been an issue, but the light started going on and off about 20 minutes into my drive. I've had the vehicle about 2 months -- less than 3000 miles. I really love it and have been very happy with it, but this concerns me....

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2013 Dodge Dart GT just started with the flashing battery light this week. It sits in a heated garage at night and the battery light will only flash a couple of times on the way home from work after sitting outside ( currently 10 degrees here) . Has anyone found the source of this problem yet? I checked the battery and alternator connections and all seem tight. The car has 3500 miles on it and was built 8/15/13.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dart doesn't show the battery light but the 7 inch cluster and the 8.4 uconnect starts to turn off which makes my rockford 360.3 freeze and not pass any sound.. it only does it when temperature drops below 32°F

·
Registered
85 Posts
yea my 2014 dart rallye has done it twice. But when it does it is for only a brief moment. It has not done it in a while but i also just got it back from the paint shop

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dodge dart just started to do this!!!!!!! It drives me nuts.
Any one figure this out yet? I just got my car back from the auto body after I was involved in an accident, it was -24 and I was driving and it started coming on for seconds at a time.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My 2013 Dodge Dart GT just started with the flashing battery light this week. It sits in a heated garage at night and the battery light will only flash a couple of times on the way home from work after sitting outside ( currently 10 degrees here) . Has anyone found the source of this problem yet? I checked the battery and alternator connections and all seem tight. The car has 3500 miles on it and was built 8/15/13.
OPENRUP,

I did some research and haven't found any common issues.
Keep a close eye on things and try and remember any particular conditions when it happens, this may give your dealer a better idea on what is happening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is nuts...this EXACT thing started happening to my Dart today. I hadn't driven for 2 days, as I've been out of town and it's been sitting in the driveway. Sub-freezing temperatures are likely the cause, but if anyone has any other insight, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 Rallye and have had problems with it from day one. When I drove it off the lot the iPOD/USB jack broke, then a week later I started having issues with the battery light. It happened constantly all last winter, and I live in Chicago so it gets pretty cold here during the winter. It wouldn't always come on, but when it did I figured out that it was happening while I was at a complete stop and then accelerating, and then would stop when I would take my foot off the gas. They checked the connections over and over, changed my battery, did all the flash drive updates, and even had someone from Dodge come out and look at the car. And of course, it never happened when I was at the dealership. I was finally considering claiming it as a lemon, and then it all just stopped. Well, I am noW kicking myself because I have passed the time frame in order to file it as a lemon and, of course, the light came back on today. Last week my car wouldn't start on 2 different occasions, for NO apparent reason, so I was actually on my way into the dealership to get it looked at. I got it on video this time which I am hoping helps. I had to drop my car off when I went in and will (hopefully) be getting it back later today, so I will update when I get it back.

For anyone who has been having this issue, it seems Dodge can't figure it out. Look it claiming your car as a lemon. The laws in each state are different. But I wish I would have done it because the issue is back for me now.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a 2013 Rallye and have had problems with it from day one. When I drove it off the lot the iPOD/USB jack broke, then a week later I started having issues with the battery light. It happened constantly all last winter, and I live in Chicago so it gets pretty cold here during the winter. It wouldn't always come on, but when it did I figured out that it was happening while I was at a complete stop and then accelerating, and then would stop when I would take my foot off the gas. They checked the connections over and over, changed my battery, did all the flash drive updates, and even had someone from Dodge come out and look at the car. And of course, it never happened when I was at the dealership. I was finally considering claiming it as a lemon, and then it all just stopped. Well, I am noW kicking myself because I have passed the time frame in order to file it as a lemon and, of course, the light came back on today. Last week my car wouldn't start on 2 different occasions, for NO apparent reason, so I was actually on my way into the dealership to get it looked at. I got it on video this time which I am hoping helps. I had to drop my car off when I went in and will (hopefully) be getting it back later today, so I will update when I get it back.

For anyone who has been having this issue, it seems Dodge can't figure it out. Look it claiming your car as a lemon. The laws in each state are different. But I wish I would have done it because the issue is back for me now.
Angry_DD,

Sorry to hear you are having issues but I'd like confirm immediately that this does not made your Dart a lemon, far from it.
Although warranty repairs can be a nuisance, they are a reality in any industry where a product is manufactured. If the dealer can reproduce the issue, repairs will certainly follow however that doesn't seem to be the case yet.
I don't think replacing your entire vehicle would be appropriate here. Yes there is an issue but Dodge is committed to finding the problem and resolving it.
Keep us posted if you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OPENRUP,

Keep a close eye on things and try and remember any particular conditions when it happens, this may give your dealer a better idea on what is happening.

Thank you for at least doing some research on this issue. Please keep us informed if there is a TSB or something Dodge finds as the source of the issue. It seems to be cold weather related. I really don't want to give my car to my dealer and have them replace items that don't need to be. The nuisance of warranty work is one thing, but having Dodge not be able to come up with any sort of a fix thus far is another. I have a feeling there is a battery draw on the car made worse when cold out and the alternator is having trouble recharging it. That is why the vehicles with new replacement batteries are still having issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Angry_DD,

Sorry to hear you are having issues but I'd like confirm immediately that this does not made your Dart a lemon, far from it.
Although warranty repairs can be a nuisance, they are a reality in any industry where a product is manufactured. If the dealer can reproduce the issue, repairs will certainly follow however that doesn't seem to be the case yet.
I don't think replacing your entire vehicle would be appropriate here. Yes there is an issue but Dodge is committed to finding the problem and resolving it.
Keep us posted if you can.
That is why I told everyone to check their Lemon Laws in their state. In Illinois the law states that if you have the same problem 3 or more times and the dealership is unable to fix it, it is considered a lemon. The law is different in each state.

There was an additional flash update that Dodge came out with in May of this year that was specifically for this battery light issue. Let's see if this fixes the problem. Hope this helps for other people. :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thank you for at least doing some research on this issue. Please keep us informed if there is a TSB or something Dodge finds as the source of the issue. It seems to be cold weather related. I really don't want to give my car to my dealer and have them replace items that don't need to be. The nuisance of warranty work is one thing, but having Dodge not be able to come up with any sort of a fix thus far is another. I have a feeling there is a battery draw on the car made worse when cold out and the alternator is having trouble recharging it. That is why the vehicles with new replacement batteries are still having issues?
OPENRUP,

I hear you, it's tough. I will certainly keep everyone on here updated if I hear of anything.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That is why I told everyone to check their Lemon Laws in their state. In Illinois the law states that if you have the same problem 3 or more times and the dealership is unable to fix it, it is considered a lemon. The law is different in each state.

There was an additional flash update that Dodge came out with in May of this year that was specifically for this battery light issue. Let's see if this fixes the problem. Hope this helps for other people. :)
Thanks for the reply, I hope everything works out though, I hate seeing good Customers in this type of situation too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. However, I want to thank you all for the helpful posts. I have a 2013 Dart Rallye 4,500 miles.
I live in Minnesota so it gets very cold. the battery light started flashing on and off about 6 weeks ago, but only about once a week. Today It wouldn't stop, so I made an appointment for Monday. I asked a the service tech on the phone for possible causes he said a good place to start is the alternator. I checked with a mechanic friend in texas and he agreed. I will keep you all updated. Oh my friend mentioned a recall on rear calipers, have it checked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OPENRUP,

I just bought my dodge dart gt (2014) a week ago. The issue with the flashing light happened the second day I had it so I took it in. The said it was fine. It happened again so I took it in once more. It has been in the shop now for 4 days... I only drove it for 3.... This is a nightmare. I think that they need to do something to help me out considering they have had my brand new car longer than I have had my car.... I LOVED my sales person and the sales manager... but this is NOT GOOD!

I really love the car and I am from michigan and it has been cold... I hope this is a repairable issue. This is my first brand new car ever... just my luck. If anyone figures something out please let me know.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts