Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I've been having issues with starting the car lately. A couple of weeks ago, I listened to music without the engine on for about an hour. Left the car overnight, wouldn't start in the morning. There was a clicking sound and all of the needles on the dash jumped in unison. I jumped it and drove it around for a while, started it a few times, everything seemed okay. But after sitting for a while, it still struggled to start. I believe the alternator is working, but it doesn't seem to be holding a charge. I was out of town for a week, just got back, wouldn't even turn over. Lights and everything else still worked. I charged the battery, disconnected it, and let it sit for about 14 hours. This morning, I reconnected the battery, and it started with no problems. So now I believe that something is draining the battery while it's connected. I read about an HVAC module failing to power down in some other darts causing the battery to drain, but couldn't find much info. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so I'm left to figure this out or pay for the dealership to take a look. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Marqis

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Hey guys.

I've been having issues with starting the car lately. A couple of weeks ago, I listened to music without the engine on for about an hour. Left the car overnight, wouldn't start in the morning. There was a clicking sound and all of the needles on the dash jumped in unison. I jumped it and drove it around for a while, started it a few times, everything seemed okay. But after sitting for a while, it still struggled to start. I believe the alternator is working, but it doesn't seem to be holding a charge. I was out of town for a week, just got back, wouldn't even turn over. Lights and everything else still worked. I charged the battery, disconnected it, and let it sit for about 14 hours. This morning, I reconnected the battery, and it started with no problems. So now I believe that something is draining the battery while it's connected. I read about an HVAC module failing to power down in some other darts causing the battery to drain, but couldn't find much info. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty so I'm left to figure this out or pay for the dealership to take a look. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Marqis
Sounds like your battery needs replacing, you can have it tested for free at autozone. That's what I'd check first, as it is 3+ years old now. Running the music for an hour may have been the final nail in the coffin for it. I haven't heard anything about this HVAC power leak, I'll have to read more on that, but for right now the easy check is to check your battery fluids and have it tested at Autozone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only had the car for 2.5 years. Seems a little early for a battery to die. That would be an easy fix, and I know it can happen if it's drained all the way, but the fact that it didn't drain itself in 14 hours while disconnected leaves room for there to be other problems. At least that was my thought. Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I've only had the car for 2.5 years. Seems a little early for a battery to die. That would be an easy fix, and I know it can happen if it's drained all the way, but the fact that it didn't drain itself in 14 hours while disconnected leaves room for there to be other problems. At least that was my thought. Thanks for your reply!
You may have had the car for 2.5 years but the battery has been in the car for a bit longer. Anyways, I just checked out my stock battery and unfortunately it doesn't look to be a refillable battery. So you can scratch that easy fix. Sometimes the battery cells need to be refilled with water (I believe distilled water is recommended). I know my battery is weak & dying, it might have a year left hopefully. Hey what state are you in?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha I meant simple fix. Not cheap, but easier than finding some other electrical problem.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Haha I meant simple fix. Not cheap, but easier than finding some other electrical problem.
Heck yeah, I'm not a fan of chasing my tail when the problem is right in front of me. I don't like letting go of money I don't have to either. I'm in Wisconsin, and batteries (especially cheap stock batteries) don't last as long. Both hot and cold weather are battery killers, and that turbo in a sealed compartment isn't doing the battery any favors (especially in the summer). If you can, drive the car to somewhere that does battery testing and have it tested. Last I checked Autozone also does alternator testing as well, so if the battery's good you can check that while you're there hopefully. Now if that's good then I'd look into that HVAC system, I don't know if I'd take it to a shop (not a fan of shops as it seems most of the time they do a crap job anyways) or try to diagnose myself. I don't know jack about the HVAC system syphoning off electricity, so that's still in your hands.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm also having the same exact problem with the battery in my 2013 Dodge Dart SXT 1.4 L as what marqis pointed out above. My battery is only 3 yrs old. It should friggin last I would think at least 5 yrs which is the length of time at which I have always replaced batteries in all my other vehicles over the years whether they needed them or not - but cheese and rice 3 yrs old and the thing is shitting the bed already !!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge once again in their effort to cut costs and cutting corners installed a 3 yr battery instead of the typical what you'd expect 5 yr battery. It would be interesting to hear from other early model Dart owners if they still have the original battery still installed or if they've had to replace at roughly 3 yrs old ....... as marqis pointed out, it's almost as if the vehicle, after being shut down has a continuous drain on the battery often at times (but not always), like something is still running continuous like for example the turbo coolant pump that by design runs for 3-5 minutes after you shut the car off - i.e. you can actually hear it running for as mentioned for roughly 3 to 5 minutes. I checked the alternator output (voltage & current) along with battery terminal voltage and the only conclusion I came to as what i noted above that something is intermittently draining the battery...... I'm going now to AutoZone to have them perform a load test of the battery as I'm thinking it's simply failing to hold a deep charge - i.e the battery held out for 3 yrs (which is what it would be designed to do if in fact that's what 'type / style" battery it is) as opposed to the typical 5 yr model that I've been used to my whole life that comes with a vehicle doesn't it !! ? ....again it would be great to hear from other Dodge Dart owners from the Northern colder climate to see if they are experiencing similar battery performance. UPDATE: AutoZone confirmed the battery is failing to hold a charge !!! Thanks again Dodge (NOT) and you suck Sergio Marchionne !

·
Registered
45 Posts
The "build date on my car" is July 2012. As info you may not be aware of, the production of the very first Dart started on Monday, May 7, 2012, at the Belvidere plant.
Hence even with this worst case scenario (i.e the very first vehicle ever built !!!) together with "throwing in" an additional 6 months time for the production run batteries hanging around on the shelves at the factory before they'd finally get installed, the battery would be STILL be less than 5 years old !!!!!! Don't try to defend the guys at Chrysler pal, in particular Sergio Marchionne that created this whole debacle. My whole experience with this Dodge Dart reminds me of the years prior to Lee Iacocca taking over. where people as an example were so frustrated with the lack of quality with their brand new vehicles they took em back to the dealership and torched them right there in the parking lot to demonstrate their frustration.... that's about where i am at. See the list of all the defects I've had to endure since purchasing the vehicle a mere measly three years ago ......at least once every week (both in the morning and once in the afternoon) when I go out to the car to start it up I find the clutch pedal down to the floor boards and HOPE I can get it pumped back up. I always remember to place the shifter in neutral before i shut the car down otherwise when you start the vehicle up, it would be in gear (and you can't take it out of gear until the clutch pedal is "pumped up" which can take SEVERAL minutes!!!) and it would attempt to lunge forward !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I bought my '13 Limited 1.4 DDCT when it was about a year old. As far as I know it still has the OE battery. There are a lot of things that drain the battery. As mentioned above, the turbo cooling after shut down is one. I noticed one time when I was washing my Dart that the headlights keep coming on. I took the keys out of my pocket and put them on a table ten feet away and no more lights coming on.

·
Registered
344 Posts
High under hood temps will kill batteries. Doubt it's a battery quality issue.

I bought the top of the line NAPA battery to replace my factory one and its performance is already degrading. Annoying, but hardly a prohibitive expense for a maintenance item.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys I had the same issue on my 2013 Dodge Dart had to replace the alternator and the battery.....

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Our '13 factory battery died at ~18months.... and as of today,we needed yet another battery... the Exide we replaced the stock battery with also took a powder after ~18months, but this is being replace FoC.

I wonder if the battery blanket is not just to keep the battery insulated from the cold in northern winters, but try and keep some engine bay heat off it?
All the sealed up aero engine bay stuff is helping cook parts... some engine bay air flow might be nice.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
aero's dont have the black sound dampening liner material on the underside of the hood. if anyone has that black material in place with a turbo, you might want to pull it off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Heat is worse for your battery than the cold. Better to use a low amp charger left on overnight. Than jumpstarting a battery. Battery may not be fully charged.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
A turbo blanket would help cut down the heat, too.
im not downplaying your helpful suggestion to try and curb high heat under the hood, i just wonder... turbo blankets and heat wraps are pretty expensive! in a dart that is sub-200 HP, with very little to gain in performance, is the money really worth it when talking about the payback? i realize that a new battery is expensive too, and none of us want to get stranded in BFE by a dead battery....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
im not downplaying your helpful suggestion to try and curb high heat under the hood, i just wonder... turbo blankets and heat wraps are pretty expensive! in a dart that is sub-200 HP, with very little to gain in performance, is the money really worth it when talking about the payback? i realize that a new battery is expensive too, and none of us want to get stranded in BFE by a dead battery....
For me the PTP turbo blanket was worth it for cutting down the under hood heat alone. It helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
mine was also made in July 2012 and with exception of very few minor issues, all fixed under warranty, my car has been trouble free for almost 65k miles now.

one of the issues was the battery, i think it was at 25 months when it died, and they replaced it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys.

Thanks!
Marqis
My 2015 dart doing the same. Diagnostic comes up fine. Replaced what I believe to be a perfecly fine batter less than a year ago ans still needs a random jump. Way more often now. BUT last week I noticed my son's door wasn't shut all the way a day after driving and it started right up. Go figure? Dealership want me to pay for a diagnostic when I have had 3 free ones that came up fine so they want me to pay for theirs to come up fine and do nothing. 😒

1 - 20 of 21 Posts