Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
So I have a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT 1.4L Manual and for some reason, I tried starting the car but it had absolutely no battery at all. Seemed like the battery was drained to 0. Didn't even have enough power to power up the center console lights such as radio, a/c. I did not leave any lights on. It was driving fine 1 day before it happened. I then got it boosted but even after the boost, it was very unstable. Dashboard lights kept flickering like the handbrake light, traction light, steering wheel wanted to lose power when I tried to turn (Power steering warning kept going off), felt like my steering wheel wanted to lock up. I was still able to drive it but the car kept jerking in every single gear. Drove the car for about 30 minutes assuming the battery would charge itself but the lights kept going off. Steering wasn't smooth. Also, whenever I was in neutral, the rpms would slowly shoot up unexpectedly. I didn't even have my foot on the gas and it was slowly inching its way to 7000rpms. What the hell is going on??
Please tell me this is just a battery problem with 2013 Dodge Dart models.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Hey all,
So I have a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT 1.4L Manual and for some reason, I tried starting the car but it had absolutely no battery at all. Seemed like the battery was drained to 0. Didn't even have enough power to power up the center console lights such as radio, a/c. I did not leave any lights on. It was driving fine 1 day before it happened. I then got it boosted but even after the boost, it was very unstable. Dashboard lights kept flickering like the handbrake light, traction light, steering wheel wanted to lose power when I tried to turn (Power steering warning kept going off), felt like my steering wheel wanted to lock up. I was still able to drive it but the car kept jerking in every single gear. Drove the car for about 30 minutes assuming the battery would charge itself but the lights kept going off. Steering wasn't smooth. Also, whenever I was in neutral, the rpms would slowly shoot up unexpectedly. I didn't even have my foot on the gas and it was slowly inching its way to 7000rpms. What the hell is going on??
Please tell me this is just a battery problem with 2013 Dodge Dart models.
you have a 2013 Dart with the OE battery? 5 years on the OE battery. Decent battery life. Gauges flickering is a typical sign of a bad battery. The other drivability problems...IDK. What I would do: replace the battery and see if the problems are eliminated.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Best idea, go to your local parts store (Autozone, O'Rielly, etc) and have them test your alternator and/or your battery (usually a free service). They can tell you whether it's good or not & you can go from there. I'd check the battery first though. 1 - it's most likely given how old your Dart is, and 2 - its easier to remove for checking. lol

Your other issues are probably related to your Alternator desperately trying to keep a dead battery charged. The power-steering was going in & out which is why it kept feeling harder to turn. Same with the other flickering. Don't forget, the throttle in these cars are also electronically controlled, so you're going to have issues like that too. It's likely just a side-effect of the battery (like I said). 90% chance, it's a dead battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best idea, go to your local parts store (Autozone, O'Rielly, etc) and have them test your alternator and/or your battery (usually a free service). They can tell you whether it's good or not & you can go from there. I'd check the battery first though. 1 - it's most likely given how old your Dart is, and 2 - its easier to remove for checking. lol

Your other issues are probably related to your Alternator desperately trying to keep a dead battery charged. The power-steering was going in & out which is why it kept feeling harder to turn. Same with the other flickering. Don't forget, the throttle in these cars are also electronically controlled, so you're going to have issues like that too. It's likely just a side-effect of the battery (like I said). 90% chance, it's a dead battery.
Ya I ended up changing the battery and the problems went away.. What really amazed me was how fast the battery died.. Didn't drive it for one day and boom, not even a single light came up when I tried starting it the next day..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have a 2013 Dart with the OE battery? 5 years on the OE battery. Decent battery life. Gauges flickering is a typical sign of a bad battery. The other drivability problems...IDK. What I would do: replace the battery and see if the problems are eliminated.
I had purchased the car used back in 2016 so I have no idea if it was still had OEM battery or the previous owner had changed it. I ended up changing the battery and everything went back to normal!

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I had purchased the car used back in 2016 so I have no idea if it was still had OEM battery or the previous owner had changed it. I ended up changing the battery and everything went back to normal!
Glad that solved your issue! Yeah these stock batteries are really hit or miss. Mostly miss however lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yup, we only got 18months out of our OEM battery.
Even high quality batteries don't last much over 3years... the higher engine bay temps from the turbo is hard on a battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, we only got 18months out of our OEM battery.
Even high quality batteries don't last much over 3years... the higher engine bay temps from the turbo is hard on a battery.
Good to know.. I thought it was my HID headlights draining the battery but I guess it's just a bad battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How can we tell if it's an OEM battery? My car is 2014 and i'm having an issue. Maybe it's just dying but the auto shop said its getting old but it should be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts