Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started my car and it cranked slowly and the needles on the dash were flickering. I knew something was wrong but by it was a holiday nothing was open to help me. It did start yesterday. Today it didn’t start. My lights do come on, screen lights up, inside lights come on and the horn works, so with all that I don’t think it’s the battery but could it be? What do you think it is? I can’t take it anywhere because it won’t start and I don’t have anyone who can jump it for me. How can I test to see what it is? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Classic failing battery.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks alpine. But you know I’ve only had that battery just under 2yrs now. Are the batteries just not as good anymore? I thought batteries should last longer than that.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
With all the electronic modules, batteries do not last as long. Try finding a battery with a 7 year warranty. It used to be common and they didn't cost as much as they do now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try. Thanks. As always I appreciate your help. You need to open a school or something. Your knowledge is wonderful!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: So I was headed to Autozone when I decided to see if my car would start which it did. When I started it hesitated then started. The headlights and interior lights flickered but car remained running. Turned off and check under the hood. Started up again. But my radio went off so I disconnected the battery for a few mins and it’s working but I am afraid it’s something wrong with the electrical system. Any opinions?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update #2: So took my battery tonAutoZone & it was at .74 I think he said... it was so dead. Was able to get a replacement free. Next time I have to buy one I’ll look for one with a longer warranty. Any suggestions on what brand? Also I’m going to invest in a multimeter to check every few months or so . The car never gave signs it was going dead. It started right up every time with no delay except Thursday. So I’m lucky I didn’t get stranded as I did before when my bushing came completely off. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The batteries in my Dart die every 2 years. The lifetime of the battery also depends on the climate where you live. The warmer is the shorter the life expectancy. In my case it's Miami.

Because of that I always buy a Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM with 48 month free replacement warranty. If I am lucky enough for a price of one, I will get three during the warranty period like it happened to me last time.

I am not sure if X2 Power Premium AGM battery would be a better choice.

When you purchase a battery, always look for the longest free replacement warranty period (besides the other important stuff like CCA, Capacity, AGM).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Dom, I live in Chicago so it’s not that warm for long periods of time so I don’t know what’s the issue but thanks for the recommendation, I’ll look for that next time. 48months sounds good to me!! Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts