Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More bad news, it's a long sordid tail but suffice it to say that after a mere 3.8 years or 88.5k miles, my 6 speed manual transmission failed me. Dodge failed me, or rather the engineers at FCA have failed me once again for the umpteenth time which will be the last time !! Shame on me. I traded in my 2013 Dodge Dart Aero back in late Dec 2016 which was putting it mildly, an absolute car from hell given that I figured (I guess I still had some semblance of Dodge loyalty remaining in me imagine) that I'd take my losses knowing all the potential future issues / problems (not to mention the dozens of past problems I had to fight tooth and nail to have addressed), shell out thousands of dollars to purchase a new 2016 model Dart that the dealership was looking to "unload". Fast forward now 3.8 years / 88.5 k miles and the throw out bearing began to howl something fierce (audio clip attached) and needed to be replaced. Not uncommon on a manual transmission of course but at 88.k, this is very disheartening / premature failure. Upon further investigation by the repair shop of the throw-out bearing phenomenon (the issue / noise would go away after driving for several minutes 20 minute / several miles) that it needed to be replaced it was also discovered that the flywheel had issues as well too (rubbing against other internal parts and suffered damage) and also required replacement. All in all, it cost me $2,150.74. I should have known, I had issues with the first aforementioned Dart I purchased with the manual transmission clutch pedal going right to the floor board upon starting up the vehicle (god forbid one left it in gear before shutting it down) as you couldn't get it out of gear until the clutch pumped up enough hydraulic fluid to be able to push the clutch pedal in and get the dam thing out of gear. This was all happening just after the lamb ass 3 year 36k warranty Dodge offered so it wasn't covered, that repair would have been out of my pocket just like this latest one is now. So I ask myself / anyone who would read this / or owns a Dodge Dart with and without a manual transmission why would you ever invest in a Dodge ever again ? I'm through, done, kaput, finished with these lamb brains at FAC. You burnt me twice Dodge, never again. I was literally one of your best biggest supporters over the last 3.5 decades, never again ! I purchased so many great vehicles (excluding these last two POS vehicles). In fact, the "great" Sergio Marchionne himself (former CEO of FCA) said it best slamming Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 as bad investments:

I can tell you right now that both the Chrysler 200 and the Dodge Dart, ...........were the least financially rewarding enterprises that we've carried out inside FCA in the last eight years," the sweater-wearing Marchionne said to a persnickety member of the media. "I don't know one investment that was as bad as these two [nameplates] were,” he concluded.

Need I say anymore ? I can provide all kinds of additional details of multiple other issues I've had with the vehicle during my short 3.8 years i've had costing me hundreds of dollars (thousands if hadn't done the work myself) including but not limited to: multiple rear calipers, multiple wheel bearings, multiple brake rotors and shoes (due to the failed calipers) multiple wheel balancing / alignments issues due to troubleshooting what was causing all the wheel bearing noises. I'd attached the audio clips I made of all the multiple wheel bearing issues (it would give you a headache while driving) I've experienced multiple times along with the aforementioned throw-out bearing noise too but this forum "doesn't recognize" a simple MP3 audio file so it refuses to let one attach it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you had such a crappy time with your Darts man. I thoroughly had a good thing going with my 2014 GT 6 speed but luckily I found out about all the possible issues and took steps ahead of time to fix them. Fiat has been EXTREMELY well known to produce poor quality products, and unfortunately the Dart is well... basically a Fiat. I think in the case of Darts though you got unlucky twice over. Your not in the majority and it shows. There are many Darts with over 150,000 miles for sale online without issues. Mine I drove from 15k miles to 75k miles without much issue at all but that's not to say there weren't any and questionable quality on some items of course.

This kind of thing can happen with any vehicle however. I have a comparison story to yours. I traded my VERY GOOD 14' GT that I loved but needed something that would tow but something I could actually pay the note on so I bought a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with 149k miles. I have only put 1k miles on it in the past two+ months and have already thrown over 3k in parts at it. Nissans are trash nowadays but 2008-12 Pathfinders are supposed to be bullet proof. There are a ton of them well over 250k miles rolling fine today. A lot of them with the original OEM parts untouched. However mine had a very hard past compared to many and I'm paying the price for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could anyone suggest some shops where I can buy 68245664AA dual clutch kit? Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't buy a stock clutch replacement, the one in the picture is not what you will get. Look at Clutch Masters.
Dual Mass flywheel for these cars is not a big deal

·
Registered
12 Posts
HEMI HEAD I am with you. Loooong time dodge supporter from age of 5 when I help my dad clean parts for a HEMI rebuild for our GTX. I have had 4 dodges I purchased new and 7 other classic mopars but the treatment from the dealers on my Dart problems turned me off Dodge for good I think (at least anything after the Fiat merger). I would like to have a Hellcat but just can't do it. If one more poorly trained know nothing service rep or shop mechanic tells me I need new motor mounts to fix a flywheel that broke I will strangle them. It is just amazing how much the new car sales industry has changed in the past 20 years. in 2004 I bought a Navigator that was 10 months old and didn't even need to take it to the dealer or maintenance, they would pick it up, deliver it wash it, leave tickets to the auto show. I told everybody about the service, now when someone asks about my Dart I suddenly forget about the things I like about the car and just have flashbacks of all the morons I have dealt with at the dealerships.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
21 Posts
Sorry about your problems, I love my dart and as far as quality goes, my hellcat charger is just a higher cost extension of the same lame quality that goes faster. The dart at 3200 lbs seems to be more well balanced then the 4600lb charger. Going even further the 2005 Neon I still have that I bought new seems to be of better build quality and the Dart seems to be just a more advanced refined Neon. But since all newer cars are very disposable thats how it is.

As far as the
I can tell you right now that both the Chrysler 200 and the Dodge Dart, ...........were the least financially rewarding enterprises that we've carried out inside FCA in the last eight years,"

If you look on you tube at a vid called "Why the fart failed" it wasnt based so much on build quality it was more directed to the low profit margin per vehicle when the trucks,jeeps and challengers were all bigger on profit so the dart was axed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced my clutch and flywheel with the clutch masters version..couldn't be happier, I've got a little more sound under the hood, but nothing to cry about..since your in there replace the slave cylinder.
PS - What you wrote was hella long...and I got all my parts from Modern Performance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts