Dodge Dart Forum banner

Backup Camera Upside Down

123K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  alpinegreenneon 
#1 ·
Well, I went to reverse like I usually do when I back up and my image was flipping from right-side up to upside down really fast. Now every time I go to reverse the image is upside down.

Is there a component that does this for the video and if there is, where is it located?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

#4 ·
So I went outside at work during my lunch break and was able to gain access to the camera in the trunk. I was able to flip it around but only get one screw in because the mounting bracket is not designed to flip it around. However, when I tested it, while the image is right-side up now, left is right and right is left, which would confuse my wife even more than it just being upside down. So, there has to be something in the software or a component that is flipping the image.

I'm going to try disconnecting my battery for awhile when I get home to kind of hard reset the car but I don't think it will fix the problem.

If anyone has a wiring diagram or some knowledge of the backup camera, any information is greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
If the image was distorted or the wrong color I would be concerned about the wiring. In your case, either the camera is sending the wrong image or the radio is displaying it incorrectly. I suspect the camera would be much cheaper(especially used) if you are ok with diagnosis by replacement.

#6 ·
See I don't think it is the camera because the image is perfect it is just upside down. Before it was permanently upside down, the image did flip-flop really fast which makes me believe that it may be a software or some component in between failed. Unless the image is flipped in the camera but I didn't see any kind of toggle on the actual camera.

#39 ·
Mine is having the same issue but it's a black screen then flashes of and on fast and distorted. It used to be like you said but now it's a lost worse. Eventually it's just going to stop working.. i wish I knew what to do to fix it I don't want to spend hundreds of $ just to tell me I need a replacement.. Could be the wiring in the wires behind the radio or the trunk... Or it could be the camera camera going out... Seems like a lot of ppl are having issues with it... Doubt they'll do a recall on it..... They should though......I like my camera so I don't got anyone in a bike or wheelchair or small child.. Easier to see when someone is walking past you...

#8 ·
Have you tired updating the Uconnect software for your car? That very well might fix it.

Even if you're up to date and you re-flash the software it could definitely help. No harm no foul.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can go you the Uconnect website and put in your VIN and it'll give you the file to download. You'll need a flash drive to do it. It gives full instructions on the page.

Actually go here: Software Update for Uconnect® - Check For Updates

It'll take you to step by step there.

#12 ·
Being a computer tech and seeing this is a software issue is really bugging me :p

I guess the next thing I would suggest is to turn it off and turn it back on. And by that I mean maybe disconnecting the battery for a bit and reconnecting?

After that maybe there's a loose connection or something from the camera to the Uconnect. That's all I could think of.

#13 ·
Yeah I was gonna try disconnecting the battery today. I can't even find the camera components. If I had a wiring diagram for it it would be a lot easier to troubleshoot. I've already checked the connections in the trunk and they are all fine. I don't think it's a loose connection.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, I've been looking for information each day. It could be the camera I suppose. I can try taking it apart but it seemed pretty sealed. I'll definitely look at it again to get the part number off of it. Here is a visual of what it's doing.

Here is at work:
[image no longer available]

Here is at home:
[image no longer available]

#16 ·
Are you out of warranty? Or is there some other reason you're not wanting to take it to the dealer???

Personally, that's the first thing I would have done!

Also, I'm really curious as to what the actual problem ends up being, and what the solution is. Please make sure to post those up once you learn them!

Sent from my S5 using DodgeDart

#19 ·
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure on that. I would think it would over lay it and be upside down with the image. I have a friend in the dealers. I will forward him this and see if he has ever heard of it. If not, he won't be able to diagnose without having the car so it won't be much help.

#23 ·
My camera sometimes flashes black and white when it starts up and then noticed to change to color right away. Also I saw last night as I was backing into my driveway, it looked like it had that blue-ish purple snapchat filter on the screen making everything look like it was purple (if you guys know what I'm talking about). Hopefully mine doesn't decide to flip itself upside down!

#24 ·
Mine will decide to completely go black sometimes. I have no clue what it's about. Only randomly, and restarting the car fixes it. It will even have the text at the top giving whatever disclaimer it has up there, but it's just black. My back up sensors work perfectly fine though. I am a bit spoiled with it now, as my first dart had no screen at all, and I always backed that in too. So when it blacks out, which is only rarely, i need to revert back to the basic ways, which probably should be the only way :p

#25 ·
I had a problem with mine but it was the wiring where the trunk hinges was pinched

#27 ·
I couldn't find information on the lines but I did find the warning message is generated by the radio.
View attachment 62033
Did you happen to find out where the backup guides are generated from? The warning message still displays perfectly fine so it may not be the radio, it may be the camera. I haven't had a chance to find one to test it yet. I may just buy another one then return it if it doesn't fix the problem.

#29 · (Edited)
Well first off, I want to thank everyone for your help in figuring it out. I appreciate it very much. Secondly, I FIXED IT!!! I bet you are all wondering what the problem was... well, I talked to a co-worker whose brother works for a dodge dealership (by the way if you have questions I can relay them) and he said he's seen that problem before and that it was the camera. So, I figured since I do work on electronics, let's pop this thing open now that I know for sure it's the camera (I didn't want to before because it is sealed quite well).

Here is the camera before I opened it so I knew the part numbers in-case it was irreparable.

Here is the camera after I opened it. Since it was sealed pretty good and I didn't have a dremel to cut around the edges, I took diagonal cutters and started at the corner and then chipped off pieces as I saw it was safe to do so:

After inspecting both sides of the board, I did find a diode that was not on it's contact all the way (and was loose from the board altogether):

I soldered that back on good and checked the rest of the components which seemed good, hooked it up to my car and viola! The camera works again. Guides and everything.

So, here's what I've learned about this system. It has three main components: Body Control Module (which controls all the sensors in your car), the radio (which provides the "Check your entire surroundings" message), and the camera (it flips the image and provides the backup guide lines), and the wiring (which I didn't mess with).

Thank you again everyone it saved me about 150-250 dollars after pricing it. I will reseal the camera with RTV (silicone) and call it a day.

Edit: Got it put back together and sealed it up!

#32 ·
Thank you so much for posting this. I just had this issue occur. Had several months of the camera kinda working, sometimes turning black, colors distorted, etc. The second the weather got hot this year the image completely flipped. Really helped me out!

#30 ·
We should make this some kind of sticky for similar issues. Not many people know to use the search feature.

Also awesome find btw

Reactions: pkgmsu2000
#33 ·
Mate, thank you thank you thank you. I followed through all this, didn't realize how tiny everything was going to be in there once i dremmelled it open.
Pressed everything down and poked and prodded with my finger while mate watched the screen to see if it came right.
In my case i had to dremmel it all the way around so that i could disconnect that big connector from the circuit board.
I think there was some corrosion or bad contact on there because when i tried it again my green guide lines were back and the image was flipped back the way it should have been.

Thanks sooo much....!
PS, this was a Chrysler 300C, slightly different part number but same looking inside.

#34 ·
You’re all amazing, thank-you so much for this thread. I shared my own experience in a post along with some pictures. I hope others have more success.

#35 ·
Mine does the exact same and it used to flash white when I would go in reverse and then sometimes when I would go in reverse and then start driving straight I would still have the camera that camera will be on and I see everything moving while I'm driving and now every single time that I put my car in reverse the reverse camera is always upside down now it's been like that for months it hasn't fixed itself or done any of the other issues anymore just always upside down which it does flash sometimes or it'll look extremely grainy with a whole bunch of lines... Not sure what to do the dealer said it might be like a software issue... I'm not going to pay $200 just for them to look at it to tell me that and then pay more money just for them to tell me they can't fix it after they start tearing things apart and I'll end up with like a $500 bill for what....