Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
Any help is appreciated and I thank you for asking someone on the inside. If he doesn't know, maybe he can give you a run down of the backup camera system and how it works so I can troubleshoot from there. If it is all done in the camera then I need a new camera but I get a strong feeling that it's not. I have a 2013 Limited. Thanks for the help, again.
his response:

"Kinda sounds like the camera module which is the camera itself. I haven't dealt with the dart system but I have worked on a Cherokee that has a almost identical system. The camera module busses the signal to the BCM, then from there to the radio. It's an issue with one of those three components or the wiring"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
his response:

"Kinda sounds like the camera module which is the camera itself. I haven't dealt with the dart system but I have worked on a Cherokee that has a almost identical system. The camera module busses the signal to the BCM, then from there to the radio. It's an issue with one of those three components or the wiring"
Yeah I don't think it was the wiring. I am going to try and borrow my co-workers camera (same car) and slave it in and see what it does. If it was the BCM there probably would be more associated problems. It still could be the radio itself if that provides the overlay and does the image flipping but I can't find any description documents on what these things are supposed to do lol :'(

·
Registered
45 Posts
My camera sometimes flashes black and white when it starts up and then noticed to change to color right away. Also I saw last night as I was backing into my driveway, it looked like it had that blue-ish purple snapchat filter on the screen making everything look like it was purple (if you guys know what I'm talking about). Hopefully mine doesn't decide to flip itself upside down!

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
Mine will decide to completely go black sometimes. I have no clue what it's about. Only randomly, and restarting the car fixes it. It will even have the text at the top giving whatever disclaimer it has up there, but it's just black. My back up sensors work perfectly fine though. I am a bit spoiled with it now, as my first dart had no screen at all, and I always backed that in too. So when it blacks out, which is only rarely, i need to revert back to the basic ways, which probably should be the only way :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a problem with mine but it was the wiring where the trunk hinges was pinched

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I couldn't find information on the lines but I did find the warning message is generated by the radio.
View attachment 62033
Did you happen to find out where the backup guides are generated from? The warning message still displays perfectly fine so it may not be the radio, it may be the camera. I haven't had a chance to find one to test it yet. I may just buy another one then return it if it doesn't fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Did you happen to find out where the backup guides are generated from? The warning message still displays perfectly fine so it may not be the radio, it may be the camera. I haven't had a chance to find one to test it yet. I may just buy another one then return it if it doesn't fix the problem.
With aftermarket cameras, a static overlay is usually an image file stored in EPROM (a chip that can be reprogrammed if you have the skills and hardware). Of course an OEM system might work differently, since it is designed to be more integrated with the vehicle, but I suspect that's the cheapest way to do it, so that's probably what they do as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Well first off, I want to thank everyone for your help in figuring it out. I appreciate it very much. Secondly, I FIXED IT!!! I bet you are all wondering what the problem was... well, I talked to a co-worker whose brother works for a dodge dealership (by the way if you have questions I can relay them) and he said he's seen that problem before and that it was the camera. So, I figured since I do work on electronics, let's pop this thing open now that I know for sure it's the camera (I didn't want to before because it is sealed quite well).

Here is the camera before I opened it so I knew the part numbers in-case it was irreparable.

Here is the camera after I opened it. Since it was sealed pretty good and I didn't have a dremel to cut around the edges, I took diagonal cutters and started at the corner and then chipped off pieces as I saw it was safe to do so:

After inspecting both sides of the board, I did find a diode that was not on it's contact all the way (and was loose from the board altogether):

I soldered that back on good and checked the rest of the components which seemed good, hooked it up to my car and viola! The camera works again. Guides and everything.

So, here's what I've learned about this system. It has three main components: Body Control Module (which controls all the sensors in your car), the radio (which provides the "Check your entire surroundings" message), and the camera (it flips the image and provides the backup guide lines), and the wiring (which I didn't mess with).

Thank you again everyone it saved me about 150-250 dollars after pricing it. I will reseal the camera with RTV (silicone) and call it a day.

Edit: Got it put back together and sealed it up!

·
Registered
102 Posts
We should make this some kind of sticky for similar issues. Not many people know to use the search feature.

Also awesome find btw

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great thread. I'm back in the market for a Dart after trading in mine a couple years ago. Now looking for my son's first car and go figure he wants a Dart. We're looking at a great price on a 2014 GT and it has the exact same camera problem.

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,441 Posts
Well first off, I want to thank everyone for your help in figuring it out. I appreciate it very much. Secondly, I FIXED IT!!! I bet you are all wondering what the problem was... well, I talked to a co-worker whose brother works for a dodge dealership (by the way if you have questions I can relay them) and he said he's seen that problem before and that it was the camera. So, I figured since I do work on electronics, let's pop this thing open now that I know for sure it's the camera (I didn't want to before because it is sealed quite well).

Here is the camera before I opened it so I knew the part numbers in-case it was irreparable.

Here is the camera after I opened it. Since it was sealed pretty good and I didn't have a dremel to cut around the edges, I took diagonal cutters and started at the corner and then chipped off pieces as I saw it was safe to do so:

After inspecting both sides of the board, I did find a diode that was not on it's contact all the way (and was loose from the board altogether):

I soldered that back on good and checked the rest of the components which seemed good, hooked it up to my car and viola! The camera works again. Guides and everything.

So, here's what I've learned about this system. It has three main components: Body Control Module (which controls all the sensors in your car), the radio (which provides the "Check your entire surroundings" message), and the camera (it flips the image and provides the backup guide lines), and the wiring (which I didn't mess with).

Thank you again everyone it saved me about 150-250 dollars after pricing it. I will reseal the camera with RTV (silicone) and call it a day.

Edit: Got it put back together and sealed it up!
Thank you so much for posting this. I just had this issue occur. Had several months of the camera kinda working, sometimes turning black, colors distorted, etc. The second the weather got hot this year the image completely flipped. Really helped me out!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts