Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to reverse like I usually do when I back up and my image was flipping from right-side up to upside down really fast. Now every time I go to reverse the image is upside down.

Is there a component that does this for the video and if there is, where is it located?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I tried the search. Couldn't really find anything on it or google. The warranty ran out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went outside at work during my lunch break and was able to gain access to the camera in the trunk. I was able to flip it around but only get one screw in because the mounting bracket is not designed to flip it around. However, when I tested it, while the image is right-side up now, left is right and right is left, which would confuse my wife even more than it just being upside down. So, there has to be something in the software or a component that is flipping the image.

I'm going to try disconnecting my battery for awhile when I get home to kind of hard reset the car but I don't think it will fix the problem.

If anyone has a wiring diagram or some knowledge of the backup camera, any information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the image was distorted or the wrong color I would be concerned about the wiring. In your case, either the camera is sending the wrong image or the radio is displaying it incorrectly. I suspect the camera would be much cheaper(especially used) if you are ok with diagnosis by replacement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See I don't think it is the camera because the image is perfect it is just upside down. Before it was permanently upside down, the image did flip-flop really fast which makes me believe that it may be a software or some component in between failed. Unless the image is flipped in the camera but I didn't see any kind of toggle on the actual camera.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most surveillance video cameras come with software that lets you do things like flip or mirror so I don't see why the Dart would be any different.
The BIG question is how to access it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have you tired updating the Uconnect software for your car? That very well might fix it.

Even if you're up to date and you re-flash the software it could definitely help. No harm no foul.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tired updating the Uconnect software for your car? That very well might fix it.

Even if you're up to date and you re-flash the software it could definitely help. No harm no foul.
How do you do that without going to the dealer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can go you the Uconnect website and put in your VIN and it'll give you the file to download. You'll need a flashdrive to do it. It gives full instructions on the page.

Actually go here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

It'll take you step by step there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Being a computer tech and seeing this is a software issue is really bugging me :p

I guess the next thing I would suggest is to turn it off and turn it back on. And by that I mean maybe disconnecting the battery for a bit and reconnecting?

After that maybe there's a loose connection or something from the camera to the Uconnect. That's all I could think of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was gonna try disconnecting the battery today. I can't even find the camera components. If I had a wiring diagram for it it would be a lot easier to troubleshoot. I've already checked the connections in the trunk and they are all fine. I don't think it's a loose connection.

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
Yeah I was gonna try disconnecting the battery today. I can't even find the camera components. If I had a wiring diagram for it it would be a lot easier to troubleshoot. I've already checked the connections in the trunk and they are all fine. I don't think it's a loose connection.
This is literally one of the only things I could find relating to this issue. 2012 Factory Backup camera picture upside down - Audio, Infotainment Navigation, MyGig, UConnect, etc. - Dodge Journey Forum

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah I've been looking for information each day. It could be the camera I suppose. I can try taking it apart but it seemed pretty sealed. I'll definitely look at it again to get the part number off of it. Here is a visual of what it's doing.

Here is at work:

Here is at home:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Are you out of warranty? Or is there some other reason you're not wanting to take it to the dealer???

Personally, that's the first thing I would have done!

Also, I'm really curious as to what the actual problem ends up being, and what the solution is. Please make sure to post those up once you learn them!

Sent from my S5 using DodgeDart

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I am out of my warranty. I will not pay $122 just to have it looked then pay another $200-400 for a part and then probably around $100 for labor. I'll keep investigating though and figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just realized there are no guidelines anymore either. Does anyone know where those come from? It's either over laid by the computer or the camera itself.

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
I just realized there are no guidelines anymore either. Does anyone know where those come from? It's either over laid by the computer or the camera itself.
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure on that. I would think it would over lay it and be upside down with the image. I have a friend in the dealers. I will forward him this and see if he has ever heard of it. If not, he won't be able to diagnose without having the car so it won't be much help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure on that. I would think it would over lay it and be upside down with the image. I have a friend in the dealers. I will forward him this and see if he has ever heard of it. If not, he won't be able to diagnose without having the car so it won't be much help.
Any help is appreciated and I thank you for asking someone on the inside. If he doesn't know, maybe he can give you a run down of the backup camera system and how it works so I can troubleshoot from there. If it is all done in the camera then I need a new camera but I get a strong feeling that it's not. I have a 2013 Limited. Thanks for the help, again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts