Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, ever since I bought my car used @ 155,000 km’s the backup camera has been very intermittent. It seems like in the cold winter weather it works better, and in the summer, it doesn’t work as good.. I took it for an electrical inspection at a local repair shop and they said the camera was the issue. The problem is, it works perfectly fine 50% of the time so I’m not sure about spending $600 for a new camera if that might not be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
398 Posts
They typically go bad because the engineers chose to install them in a trunk lid that gets slammed shut, thus causing issues in the camera circuit board. I visited the local U Pull It yard and picked one up for $15.

Reactions: jonasmck11

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hi everyone, ever since I bought my car used @ 155,000 km’s the backup camera has been very intermittent. It seems like in the cold winter weather it works better, and in the summer, it doesn’t work as good.. I took it for an electrical inspection at a local repair shop and they said the camera was the issue. The problem is, it works perfectly fine 50% of the time so I’m not sure about spending $600 for a new camera if that might not be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be? Thanks in advance
$600 is a rip off. Even the mopar one I think is like $325. So thats a huge labor upcharge for under an hours worth of work. The other thing you can check is the wiring in the cover that runs down the trunk lid and hinge.

I just replaced mine with one from eBay. Works perfrectly fine and its 85 bucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$600 is a rip off. Even the mopar one I think is like $325. So thats a huge labor upcharge for under an hours worth of work. The other thing you can check is the wiring in the cover that runs down the trunk lid and hinge.

I just replaced mine with one from eBay. Works perfrectly fine and its 85 bucks.

Hey thanks for replying, I live in Canada so unfortunately our prices are ridiculously higher. Thanks for the eBay link to that camera, I’ll definitely be ordering that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey so just to follow up, the camera I ordered on eBay came in today and it works great! Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts