Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Bought a 2013 1.4L Limited 6spd about a year ago and have been creeping around the forums but haven't registered until now, so hi!

I had a problem with my odometer flashing, pulled the ECU mismatch code, and found a SB that pointed to an ORC flash to correct it. Brought it in and mentioned this to the dealership and they wrote on my invoice that the flashed the BCM, which was contrary to the SB. A few days after that my bluetooth and steering wheel controls started acting up. Now I'm getting codes which point to a bad CTM and my bluetooth and hands free system isn't working and my odometer is flashing again.

2 questions: would an erroneous BCM flash affect those systems at all and cause failures with the CTM and bluetooth? And, what causes the odometer to flash? The ECU mismatch and ORC flash was one solution to it, but will other failed modules cause it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
That code usually means a PROXI needs to be done. A PROXI configurtation is sort of unique to Darts and the dealer tech may have been ignorant about it. Flashing odometer is also indicative that it need a PROXI configuration. Flashing the BCM update should not have been detrimental. ORC (Occupant Restraint Controller) should not have anything in common with the odometer flashing but could have set a airbag light because a PROXI problem. CTM (convergence Telematics Module) could be a separate problem. Was anything changed as far as adding something like fog lights?
There is an android app you could get called alfaOBD that requires the OBDLinkMX bluetooth scanner that lets you do a PROXI yourself without relying on a dealer.
http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dod...ostics-through-obd2-diy-proxy-allignment.html

Reactions: Coogah

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I took it in initially and mentioned SB 08-042-12 REV. A that called for an ORC flash in order to fix the flashing odometer. They apparently ended up flashing the BCM instead and now I'm curious if that may cause the BCM not to recognize the CTM as this is a new code that popped up in the BCM after the work. Bluetooth and steering wheel controls worked sporadically and now not at all (also new).

Nothing new was installed recently. Came with fogs and the works, and all those features are working correctly.

Saw that app when I was looking things over last week. Kind of saw that too late because I purchased a decent hand scanner months ago ? Might have to look into it if the dealer is gonna charge me up the arse again.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
What code are you getting for the CTM? Here is what the FSM lists for your original code:

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Body Control (BCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

B2204-55-ECU CONFIGURATION MISMATCH - NOT CONFIGURED

Theory of Operation

When replacing a module, a PROXI procedure may need to be completed for that module. The PROXI Alignment Procedure is needed to learn the PROXI Configuration from the BCM. This PROXI information configures the modules based on the content of the vehicle. Refer to the table below for each module requirement.

•When Monitored:
One time whenever the ignition is turned on.

•Set Condition:
The Body Control Module (BCM) PROXI configuration has not been completed.

The PROXI configuration alignment has not been completed on one or more PROXI user module(s).

Possible Causes

BCM REPLACED AND RESTORE PROXI CONFIGURATION ROUTINE HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED
PROXI USER MODULE MISMATCH OR PROXI CONFIGURATION ALIGNMENT ROUTINE HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far, its good stuff! Helps to know how the techs are operating a little bit.

BCM has 2 active codes: the ECU mismatch and U11F687 : Lost communication with Convergence Telematic Module - missing message

Radio also has an active code: U11F600 : Lost communication with Convergence Telematics Module

Those are the only two codes that mention the CTM and the only ones that have anything to do with the radio/bluetooth/hands-free.

Other code of interest, not really sure how it fits in: U042200 : Implausible data received from Body Control Module. My scanner doesn't pull up a module for "CTM". So I'm not sure if it's listed as a different entry on my tool or isn't readable.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Body Control (BCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

U11F6-87-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH CONVERGENCE TELEMATICS MODULE - MISSING MESSAGE

Theory of Operation

The primary communication network between electronic control modules is the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus system. The Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus allows all electronic modules connected to the bus to share information with each other. Regardless of whether a message originates from a module on the higher speed CAN C (500K) Bus or on the lower speed bus, CAN Interior High Speed (IHS) (125K) Bus, the message structure and layout is similar, which allows the Body Control Module (BCM) to process and transfer messages between the CAN buses. The BCM stores Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) for certain bus network faults on the CAN C (500K) Bus and CAN IHS (125K) Bus.

The CAN bus modules are connected in parallel to the two-wire bus using a twisted pair, where the wires are wrapped around each other to provide shielding from unwanted electromagnetic induction, thus preventing interference with the relatively low voltage signals being carried through them. While the CAN bus is operating (active), one of the bus wires will carry a higher voltage and is referred to as the CAN High or CAN bus (+) wire, while the other bus wire will carry a lower voltage and is referred to as the CAN Low or CAN bus (-) wire.

For additional information on the communication network and star connector locations, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/COMMUNICATION - Description) .

•When Monitored:
With the ignition on for at least five seconds.

Battery voltage between 10 and 16 volts.

Body Control Module (BCM) is configured correctly.

•Set Condition:
Bus messages not received from the Convergence Telematics Module (CTM) for approximately two to five seconds.

Possible Causes

CAN IHS BUS (125K) (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
CAN IHS BUS (125K) (-) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
DTCS RELATED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE, IGNITION, OR VIN MESSAGES
BCM NOT CONFIGURED CORRECTLY
CTM POWER AND GROUND
CONVERGENCE TELEMATICS MODULE (CTM)
MODULE THAT SET THE DTC

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / RADIO / Diagnosis and Testing

U11F6-00 LOST COMMUNICATION WITH CONVERGENCE TELEMATICS MODULE

•When Monitored:
Continuously when the ignition is on.

The battery voltage is between 10 and 16 volts.

Body Control Module (BCM) is configured correctly.

•Set Condition:
Bus messages not received from the Convergence Telematics Module (CTM) for approximately ten seconds.

NOTE: The Convergence Telematics Module (CTM) was also known as the Hands Free Module (HFM).

Possible Causes

CAN BUS CIRCUITS OPEN OR SHORTED
DTCS RELATED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE, IGNITION, OR VIN MESSAGES
CONVERGENCE TELEMATICS MODULE POWER AND GROUND
BCM NOT CONFIGURED CORRECTLY
CONVERGENCE TELEMATICS MODULE (CTM)
MODULE THAT SET THIS DTC

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Antilock Brake (ABS) / Diagnosis and Testing

U0422-00-IMPLAUSIBLE DATA RECEIVED FROM BODY CONTROL MODULE

NOTE:
Check for DTCs in the associated module before continuing with this diagnostic procedure.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•Ignition on.
•System voltage between 10.0 and 16.0 volts.
•One valid CAN message received at least once.
•No U0002-88-CAN C Bus Off Performance DTC present.

Set Conditions:

•Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Module detects an incorrect CAN message from the Body Control Module (BCM).

Default Actions:

•ABS is disabled.

Possible Causes

ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE CAN BUS DTCS
BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) CAN BUS DTCS
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE
BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@alpinegreenneon I really appreciate your help with this! I have an appointment with the same dealership that handled this the first time and I feel like the initial signs are pointing to a bad BCM configuration and/or the need for a PROXI update. So I'm hoping they realize this stemmed from an incomplete job the first time and find some middle ground to finish it.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
If possible, print out those code descriptions to show them when you have your appt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well bad news is they are saying the PROXI update won't complete. The good news is they have narrowed it down to the CTM. Quoted me 905 for parts and labour. I've read up on other posts, actually some that you've commented on alpinegreenneon, and I'm thinking about doing it myself. In the very least they said if I find a new module they'll install it for me. They quoted me 5 something on the module alone but I've seen it for hundreds less.

Thanks again for your help, alpine!

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
Just make sure you get the correct one for your options. There are different versions with different part numbers. It is not hard to replace. You could get the alfaOBD app and the OBDLinkMX bluetooth dongle and still save hundreds over what the dealer wants. You should be able to do it all yourself with the app which can do the PROXI. The PROXI is the only thing other than common tools that is needed for the install.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay! I'll double check the part numbers when I order em. Guess it looks like I'll be getting the dongle and app if I'm going to do this by myself. I saw your other posts on replacing the CTM. Are they wanting to charge me 3 hours of labour to take off the steering wheel cover, remove a duct, and unscrew 4 screws and a PROXI update?? Is it THAT simple?

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
That's what the FSM says.

Send a PM to Benny @AllMoparParts.com with your VIN and he should be able to tell you the correct part#. He may also give you a deal like free shipping. Ask for an invoice.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
Software updates need to be done by a dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right. I was following the instructions on the TSB and it appears as if there aren't any special steps to take before you press the voice command button and speak "Setup - software update". Unless there are some implicit directions the techs do that aren't listed on the TSB. I'm just trying to save myself a 120 dollar diag charge if it is already up to date.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
Right. I was following the instructions on the TSB and it appears as if there aren't any special steps to take before you press the voice command button and speak "Setup - software update". Unless there are some implicit directions the techs do that aren't listed on the TSB. I'm just trying to save myself a 120 dollar diag charge if it is already up to date.
All that step does is command the system to attempt a software update, which anybody can do. You can't actually get the software to perform the update, however, since it requires authorized access to FCA's internal dealer network.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All that step does is command the system to attempt a software update, which anybody can do. You can't actually get the software to perform the update, however, since it requires authorized access to FCA's internal dealer network.
This is what I was thinking. The TSB said after the voice command the software version of the CTM was supposed to display, which was my ultimate goal. However I couldn't get it to recognize the command, so I was wondering if the dealer would even attempt to perform the update. I haven't had the best of luck at the dealership even when referencing a TSB.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi guys, how can I find the Alfa obd Scan tool that fixes the b2204 code? There's to many types and I'm confused.
Thank you for the help

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts