Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2015 Dart that I'm really learning to love - first titled owner after this unit was "kept" by the original dealership as a part runner/courtesy car. I'm not finding the owner's manual very friendly as I'm trying to determine whether or not I have auto headlamps. According to the graphic, I do not. At least there's no AUTO position on the dial. However...
After doing what I've seen several people do on various posts and not remembering to turn the lights on in the late evening, just today I've had my first episodes of not turning the lights off. First experience was picking up carryout pizza and I was fortunately parked just outside the window. After approximately 5 minutes the lights went off. Upon entering the car I made a special effort to look at the switch and the lights were in the ON position. I then drove to my destination and again INTENTIONALLY left the light switch ON after shutting off the engine. After a few glances through the curtains several minutes later the lights were again off. Lastly arriving home tonight I'm doing the same experiment. A few window checks and finally they are off. If this doesn't seem to be an issue, I will be a very happy camper and just leave them on all the time. Anyone else experience this with positive/negative results? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The lights turn themselves off after a certain amount of time to prevent you from draining your battery. That does not mean you have auto headlights, just a smart BCM that knows the engine is not running and there is a drain on the battery. I would not leave the switch in the on position as there will be some battery drain and as your battery getss older, it will not recover so quickly and may leave you stranded.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
From the FSM:
HEADLAMPS

The headlamp system includes the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), the Steering Control Module (SCM), the BCM, the headlamp switch and the multi-function switch on the steering column. The headlamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the FEM wire harness. The FEM harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured to the front end sheet metal within the engine compartment. The BCM will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any shorts or opens in the headlamp circuits.

The BCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input to determine the status of the headlamp switch. The BCM also monitors electronic headlamp beam select switch status messages received from the SCM over the CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these inputs by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to the headlamp bulbs through high side drivers on the right and left headlamp feed circuits to illuminate the headlamps, and controls the high and low beam shutter operation through high side drivers on the right and left high beam feed circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic headlamp beam status messages to the IPC to control the illumination of the high beam indicator.

The BCM also remembers which beams (LOW or HIGH) were selected when the headlamps were last turned OFF, and energizes those beams again the next time the headlamps are turned ON. The BCM provides a battery saver (load shedding) feature for the headlamps, which will turn these lamps OFF if they are left ON for more than about eight minutes when the ignition switch status is LOCK. The SCM and the BCM each provide a fail-safe feature for the headlamps, which will cause the BCM to turn the low beam headlamps ON automatically if there is no input available from the headlamp switch or the multi-function switch. The BCM also provides a fail-safe feature for the headlamps that will turn the headlamps ON automatically whenever a loss of CAN bus communication is detected when the ignition switch status is ON.

Each headlamp includes an integral reflector adjustment screw to be used for static aiming of the headlamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts