Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed my oil since my "oil change due" light came on, and before hand I checked the dip stick.

image-2531479523.jpg

It looked pretty good and even when I drained it, it looked like it had a little life left. Not sure how much longer.

I have sent off a sample to see how it held up over this mileage. Once I get the results back, I will post them up here.

And before anyone says its low, that is due to it being on ramps when I checked it.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Is this your first change? Or had you already changed to Amsoil?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this your first change? Or had you already changed to Amsoil?
This was my first with running AMSOIL. This is my forth overall. I just rolled over 36,000 today on my way to work.

1st change I did at 8,000 and I put in Valvoline SynPower
2nd change was at 16,500 and I put the Pennzoil from the dealer in it.
3rd change was around 26,300 and I put in AMSOIL.
4th change today at 35,981

This is by far the best the oil has looked when I changed it. Wish I would have kept more of a record and took some pics with the other oils for comparison, but that was all before I became an AMSOIL Independent Dealer, so I didn't think too much about it then.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Subbing for the results of the tests. I'm really interested in how Amsoil performs.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have sent off a sample to see how it held up over this mileage. Once I get the results back, I will post them up here.
So, did you ever get the results back?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry it took so long to post this. Looks like the computer telling me to change it when it did was spot on for when I did change it according to the test. Might change it a little bit earlier and test it again next time to compare.

oil test.png

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
anyone notice a change in the engine sound from using this (hopefully quieter)... I've had a crazy ticking sound since the day I bought it, and I've only used the OEM penzoil.
just wondering if this helps with that noise at all?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone notice a change in the engine sound from using this (hopefully quieter)... I've had a crazy ticking sound since the day I bought it, and I've only used the OEM penzoil.
just wondering if this helps with that noise at all?
In one of my other threads http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/amsoil-independent-dealer/8724-please-welcome-amsoil-independent-dealer-our-newest-supporting-vendor.html, 2 people said that they noticed less noise after switching to AMSOIL. I guess I really didn't pay any attention to that sound since I was just so used to it with my NSRT-4 and it made a ticking sound from day 1 as well. And it is now even louder since I put in stage 2 cams.

I thought the ticking was normal valvetrain noise? I know my passat was kinda loud like that. Especially without the engine cover on (for both the passat & the Dart)
And from my expeirence the ticking sound is a normal valvetrain noise. I believe it comes from the hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Question on your report why 5w40 grade ? i use this in 4 stroke MX engines only.

Sorry after reading another thread i saw its the european car formula you are using ....:smile:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question on your report why 5w40 grade ? i use this in 4 stroke MX engines only.

Sorry after reading another thread i saw its the european car formula you are using ....:smile:
The 5W-40 grade is what is recommended for use in the 1.4 Turbo engine. From the owner's manual

oil.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you VERY much for sharing the data. I was very curious how long I should try and run my Amsoil 5W40.

So I think I'll try sending my sample in at 8000 miles. I think that 9700 miles was definitely too long. I hear that Turbos are harder on oil than nonTurbos.

Thanks again for the info! I love having somewhere/something to start with.

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
i have noticed with most Variable valve timing vehicles that they all seem to make a ticking sound,lol. but i always make sure to use synthetic blended oil in my last car so i never had a bad ticking sound. this car off lot has always made this ticking sound? so i thought it was normal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know enough to say that switching to Amsoil from the original dealer fill made a noticeable difference. Not significant, but clearly noticeable. Not half as loud, but definitely more quiet "ticking" as you describe. I change mine around 10000km (dealer says 8... Pffff they r nuts..). At 10k, the oil is very dark but has its 'slippery feeling' that oils lose when time to be changed..they start feeling almost like water rather than a proper lubricant. The car says to change at about 13-13500 km. I went inbetween. Manual clearly states no more than 16000km or 12 months no matter what. oil also smells faintly of fuel at 10k, with no signs of that 'burning' smell:) so I figure it can only help to change then. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used to use mutol oil in my mazda 3 and I noticed it lasted longer then other oils. But it cost a good amount for it

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad to hear all these good things because I'm going to run amsoil in mine. Awesome! Are you going to post another sample at 8k?
I might on the next one coming up at around 65,000 miles. Should be sometime in May. I haven't done one every time since, even though I go over 9,000 miles between changes, still change it all too often, and the sample tests are not cheap at $30+ a test. I should hit 60,000 miles by next weekend and that will be the 18 month mark of owning the car. I have an approx 125 round trip to work, plus my kid's school is approx 30 miles round trip, so the miles add up quickly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The 5W-40 grade is what is recommended for use in the 1.4 Turbo engine. From the owner's manual

View attachment 25365
it's not just recommended, i've used 0w40 mobil1 for winter and i get an audible tap in the miles where the multiair system does it's recalibration. if you want an oil with more stable viscosity below the temps used for the sae winter rating you might want to run a 5w-40 ester based oil like redline or motul produce. changing the viscosity in the multi-air engine isn't recommended. also while the pennzoil recommended oil it fine oil it doesn't seem to hold up thart well in this engine. on my last oil change i never had it tested but it was clearly thinned out from viscosity breakdown and fuel dilution..

remember we have a turbo car and the multiair system also limits airflow at the valves, the engine doen't produce much manifold vacuum under any conditions. if the ports are under boost pressure like they constantly are in the dart, the intake charge will leak through the valve seals. it's unavoidable really. so you will see lots of fuel dilution. ignore the indicator, ignore the manual. change the oil around 6-7000 miles. the oil indicator seems to primarily be a rev counter. i never reset the indicator one cycle and went over 11000miles without it going off because i use higher gears and neutral coast on hills.

i should test my oil, but i guess i'm not that proactive. i think the amsoil is a fine oil and the engines performance was more consistent with it than pennzoil. mobil1 was also nice consistent performance but i'm not a fan of mobil1, it was just nice to go to the store and buy oil rather than go online. next oil to try is redline!! i really think these cars especially tuned should be running redline or motul 300v but i'll see how the redline holds up to fuel dilution and higher miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts