Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apple released iOS 7.1 which include Carplay feature. It should be supported in selected vehicles as stated on Apple Site, but I didn't see Chrysler in the brands! Do anyone have any idea if it will be supported in UConnect and in Dart?

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,440 Posts
It's only on newer vehicles that are being released right now. Chrysler is pretty much the only car company not going to be implementing the feature... Go figure

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
From allpar.com:

David Zatz said:
Chrysler to get Apple CarPlay or not?
Posted on March 3rd, 2014 • by David Zatz

carplay.jpg

Today, several articles were published by various media outlets, talking about the use of Apple’s new CarPlay service in various cars. Chrysler has been conspicuously left out of most of these articles. The company responded with a statement:

Chrysler Group has a strong relationship with Apple. Our companies are focused on iPhone and iPod compatibility testing with Chrysler Group’s current Uconnect Systems, and we continue to discuss and explore technologies that can further enhance the driving experience and keep drivers focused on the road.​

According to Apple, CarPlay allows one to use the iPhone with a car’s built in display to “get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music,” starting with some 2014 model-year cars; it features Siri voice control, set up for driving. It works with the car’s knobs, buttons, or touch-screen. As UConnect Access does, it can read and reply to text messages.

Apple’s web site shows that the system will be available in 2014 on Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, and Mercedes cars, with “future models from committed partners” BMW, Chevrolet/Opel, Citroën, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Nissan, Peugeot, Subaru, and Suzuki. Chrysler is absent from the list. The system currently only works with iPhone 5 models (including C and S). The current message appears to be that Chrysler will be sitting the system out for the moment, but may choose to opt in later.

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,440 Posts
Too bad uconnect does NONE of the above for iPhones

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
uConnect sucks when it comes to apple products, Hyundai and Chevrolet in this case better :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can't imagine Chrysler not getting CarPlay into Uconnect. Uconnect screen 8.4" now is the 2nd largest screen in industry after Tesla's one.. Also they upgraded it before for some old RAMs systems, this makes me believe that it will come to Dart sooner or later. The only problem i think is that the NAV system will lose its advantage.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'd like to see car manufacturers just provide a 10 inch or larger screen that will work with Google/Apple with default buttons and have Google/Apple or some 3rd party offering for the device ..
And setup it up so you have option choices like:
Screen + 6 speakers
Screen plus 10 speakers
Screen plus custom speaker configuration

This 1 up-man ship in audio by the auto manufacturers is becoming a big waste of their $$'s.
I would rather see the $$'s spent in fuel technology and safety/performance areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be content if there was just an option to re-map the voice dial button as a bluetooth action button like the old days and let the phone handle everything. Siri, Google Voice, and WP8's voice control will always be superior to the static firmware in the Uconnect as they are constantly updated and improved.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Siri works just fine through my Uconnect 200 system, I have a 5c (blue to match my Dart of course). It actually surprised me when it worked, I use Siri for text messages (instead of typing), and for searching while in the car.

Maybe I'm just to old to understand what more you need, I'm not interested in my car being a smart phone...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Siri works on the 8.4 also; you just have to touch the phone. I was lamenting the uconnect's attempt at middleware instead of letting the phone handle it. You are correct though, Siri does work quite well and cooperates with the audio system nicely regarding muting and speaking over the ,um, speakers.

That's pretty cool matching your phone color to the car.

I'm old too!

·
Registered
183 Posts
How did you get Siri to work with your 8.4? I have iphone5 and all that works is voice calls. I can't get 'messaging' to work and cannot voice text at all!! pls advise, thx

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't think messaging was supported for any iPhones. Anyone else have an iPhone that can use messaging through the 8.4?
Everybody's iPhone with Siri works with the 8.4 . You have to touch the phone though. It's not totally handsfree.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Did 2015 and up dart's get car play for iphones now?
It was supposed to be a new feature but I have a 2015 and I do not have apple car play or the android version either...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts