Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally tried 5W-30 Quaker State Full Synthetic in my 2.4L Dodge Dart due to oil consumption. This was after trying 5W-20 with no change in consumption.

I wanted to pass on to the Forum that for my vehicle (2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L) using 5W-30 cut the oil consumption in half. Unfortunately I still have to check it between oil changes. I have driven it most of the Summer with no problems but have not driven it in the Winter. The Winters are mild here and rarely get much below 32 Degrees F. so I think the 5W will be adequate at startup.

Now for the second phase of this question: Has anyone tried 10W-40 or 0W-40 in their 2.4 Liter Dodge Dart? Understand this is a considerable jump in viscosity from the 0W-20 recommended by the manufacturer? Please reply!!

I am hoping to find an oil that will last the entire oil change interval without causing damage to the engine or impacting the variable valve timing.

Any brave individuals out there that have tried -40 weight oil with a 2.4L Dodge Dart and would care to discuss? View attachment 114140

View attachment 114166
Hi Here Im using Dodge Dart 2014 2.4 Tiger Shark Limited and lived here in Middle East superb Hot weather condition only using 10W40 Fully synthetic Oil for past 2 years and no issues at all and pro long oil usage upto 15,000 Km interval to due change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good info thanks jsblanch and canadian for your thoughts.

I think after 5,000 miles with 5W-30 I would be about two quarts low. I could run it for 5,000 Miles without adding oil and replace the oil and filter at that point but I just hate running an engine over a quart low so that won't work for me.

If I installed a larger filter to increase oil capacity and continue with 5W-30, perhaps I could get away with running this vehicle two quarts low prior to oil and filter change. Is there a standpipe in this system or does it pull the oil from the bottom of the oil pan? With 0W-20 it would be 3.5 - 4 quarts low at 5,000 miles and that is just not going to work but 5W-30 might.

If I decide to move forward with 10W-40 for testing purposes I will let everyone know the results but for now I think 5W-30 is the limit that I am comfortable with based on these discussions.

Thanks all for the input I have some good ideas to work with. If anyone else out there cares to comment or has any ideas or information please feel free.
10W40 is highly recommended for mid east country were extreme summer hot weather condition Im using 10W40 Quartz 9000 Total for past 2 years now and engine run very smooth and no issues at all

21 - 22 of 22 Posts