Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did my first oil change on the fiance's Dart and used M1 AFE 0w20 as per the fill cap.

However, I just picked up some full synthetic 5w20 for SUPER cheap, along with some 5w and 10w30 for my car. I was thinking of using the 5w20 in the Dart next change. We live in Texas and the main difference between 0w20 and 5w20 is that "0w" viscosity is rated at -35 where as "5w" is rated at "-30" (Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293)).

It never gets anywhere near that cold here in south central Texas. Typical winter temps don't ever go below the (above zero) teens and even that's rare. Most winters, coldest mornings in the lower to mid 20s.

I can't see 5w20 making that much of a difference vs. 0w20, especially when it's full synthetic.

Data:
Chevron Havoline DS Full Synthetic
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=490665&docFormat=PDF

Mobil 1 AFE 0w20
https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-0W20

Viscosity at operating/100C actually higher with M1 AFE 0w20, 8.7, vs Chevron Havoline Pro DS 5w20, 8.5 cst...

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
I just did my first oil change on the fiance's Dart and used M1 AFE 0w20 as per the fill cap.

However, I just picked up some full synthetic 5w20 for SUPER cheap, along with some 5w and 10w30 for my car. I was thinking of using the 5w20 in the Dart next change. We live in Texas and the main difference between 0w20 and 5w20 is that "0w" viscosity is rated at -35 where as "5w" is rated at "-30" (Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293)).

It never gets anywhere near that cold here in south central Texas. Typical winter temps don't ever go below the (above zero) teens and even that's rare. Most winters, coldest mornings in the lower to mid 20s.

I can't see 5w20 making that much of a difference vs. 0w20, especially when it's full synthetic.

Data:
Chevron Havoline DS Full Synthetic
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=490665&docFormat=PDF

Mobil 1 AFE 0w20
https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-0W20

Viscosity at operating/100C actually higher with M1 AFE 0w20, 8.7, vs Chevron Havoline Pro DS 5w20, 8.5 cst...
Once it reaches operating temperatures, 0W20 and 5W20 should work exactly the same as a 20 weight oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree with you, but is Dodge a stickler for oil weight should warranty issues arise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I totally agree with you, but is Dodge a stickler for oil weight should warranty issues arise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they notice you're using the improper weight they will void your warranty. If any issues do arise I would recommend doing an oil change and putting in the recommended weight

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
If they notice you're using the improper weight they will void your warranty. If any issues do arise I would recommend doing an oil change and putting in the recommended weight
My dealer told me that FCA wouldn't honor the powertrain warranty because I do my own oil changes too. In both cases, it's not true. You're not required to use the oil grade they recommend (note that the oil grade isn't "specified" but only recommended). At least in some cases, Hyundai and Kia actually use a chart to recommend the most appropriate grade of oil depending on the climate the car is driven in. Honestly, recommending the same grade of oil throughout all of North America is just laziness on the automaker's part, and in any case they're probably more concerned with hitting fuel economy numbers than maximizing protection. As long as it's good enough to allow the engine to outlast the powertrain warranty, it's good enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too switched to 5w-30 to help reduce oil consumption.
DartMontreal and dgc333, did the switch to 5W-30 help reduce the oil consumption?

How long have you been using 5W-30 and have you had any issues using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 in the 2.4L Engine?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
562 Posts
DartMontreal and dgc333, did the switch to 5W-30 help reduce the oil consumption?

How long have you been using 5W-30 and have you had any issues using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 in the 2.4L Engine?

Thanks for the input!
Yes I switched to help reduce the oil consumption. I still have to add a qt at 5k miles on a 7.5k oil change interval but it's much better than a qt every 2.5k miles. Plus with 5w-30 you do not have to use synthetic which is all that is available in 0w-20.

The 5w-30 has been in the car for about 20k miles. Can't imagine what problems the change would cause. They spec 0w-20 for improved gas mileage, I haven't noticed any change.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I finally tried 5W-30 Quaker State Full Synthetic in my 2.4L Dodge Dart due to oil consumption. This was after trying 5W-20 with no change in consumption.

I wanted to pass on to the Forum that for my vehicle (2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L) using 5W-30 cut the oil consumption in half. Unfortunately I still have to check it between oil changes. I have driven it most of the Summer with no problems but have not driven it in the Winter. The Winters are mild here and rarely get much below 32 Degrees F. so I think the 5W will be adequate at startup.

Now for the second phase of this question: Has anyone tried 10W-40 or 0W-40 in their 2.4 Liter Dodge Dart? Understand this is a considerable jump in viscosity from the 0W-20 recommended by the manufacturer? Please reply!!

I am hoping to find an oil that will last the entire oil change interval without causing damage to the engine or impacting the variable valve timing.

Any brave individuals out there that have tried -40 weight oil with a 2.4L Dodge Dart and would care to discuss? QuakerState5W-30.jpg

Dart2.4_OilConsumption.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone care to comment on 10W-40 oil in a 2.4L Engine for Oil Consumption purposes? 5W-30 cut my consumption in half (ref above post). Perhaps I need to start a new thread as this topic might be stale.

Is there anyone on this Forum that knows the 2.4 Tigershark Multiair Engine inside and out that could comment on what this engine will and will not tolerate as far as oil viscosity? Perhaps someone that was involved in the design of this Engine? Winters here rarely go below 32 degrees. where i live.

Thanks and see above post.

·
Registered
605 Posts
With the multiair system ONLY use the recommended oil, it can cause huge issues with the Multiair brick.

As far as oil consumption issues, some 2.4s have issues from factory with cylinder 4, it's either a improperly installed cylinder sleeve or piston ring (can't recall). Get an oil consumption test started from the dealer and it could result in a new engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks CanadianGuitar for your input. Yes I've already had an oil consumption test prior to the vehicle reaching 50,000 miles. At that point the vehicle had 32,000 miles on it and it tested just within limits. Should have brought it in sooner but it wouldn't have mattered, still would have been within their limits at that point.

Per dodge SB 09-007-15 for Engine Oil Consumption which was supplied to me at the time of the test, acceptable consumption is 1 Quart per 2,000 miles for the first 50,000 miles. For above 50,000 miles acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 750 miles. It also states that vehicles driven "aggressively" can consume 1 Quart every 500 miles! Unbelievable to me that this is considered acceptable rate of oil consumption.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Thanks CanadianGuitar for your input. Yes I've already had an oil consumption test prior to the vehicle reaching 50,000 miles. At that point the vehicle had 32,000 miles on it and it tested just within limits. Should have brought it in sooner but it wouldn't have mattered, still would have been within their limits at that point.

Per dodge SB 09-007-15 for Engine Oil Consumption which was supplied to me at the time of the test, acceptable consumption is 1 Quart per 2,000 miles for the first 50,000 miles. For above 50,000 miles acceptable oil consumption is 1 quart per 750 miles. It also states that vehicles driven "aggressively" can consume 1 Quart every 500 miles! Unbelievable to me that this is considered acceptable rate of oil consumption.
You'd best believe it, because that's in line with every automaker's oil consumption guidelines. It's not that every engine will guzzle oil, but they certainly can, and the entire automotive industry considers it perfectly normal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is unfortunate for those of us that are living with this problem because for us it is not normal. It is a way for the Manufacturers to get out of replacing engines on a small % of vehicles that may have manufacturing defects and to try to place blame on the owners whenever possible.

Will I let my daughter take this vehicle to College considering this oil consumption rate? Hell No!! She can take the 2016 Sonata, 2016 Civic, 1995 Talon (Eclipse), or 1994 Ford Taurus which do not consume any oil compared to this 2014 Dart even after all these years and miles on some of them. Will I purchase another Dodge or Chrysler product after my experience with this vehicle and the dealer? No I will not. To bad really since I like other features of this car.

Canadian brings up a good point relating to the Mult-Air system and i am now wondering if the 1.4 Turbo version of the Dart uses the same Multi-Air system as the 2.4 Version or is it a totally different setup? If similar perhaps there is room to try a thicker oil.

Take a look at these photos:

5W-20 Oil Change with Dealer Issued Filter along with Oil Level at 100% Oil Life (Below). 0W-20 has shown similar results.

5W20_OilChange.jpg
OilLevel_5W20_100%_OilLife.jpg

At 75% Oil Life (1990 Miles, 5W-20) (Below)

OilLife_75%.jpg
OilLevel_75%_OilLIfe.jpg

·
Registered
605 Posts
It is unfortunate for those of us that are living with this problem because for us it is not normal. It is a way for the Manufacturers to get out of replacing engines on a small % of vehicles that may have manufacturing defects and to try to place blame on the owners whenever possible.

Will I let my daughter take this vehicle to College considering this oil consumption rate? Hell No!! She can take the 2016 Sonata, 2016 Civic, 1995 Eclipse, or 1994 Ford Taurus which do not consume any oil compared to this 2014 Dart even after all these years and miles on some of them. Will I purchase another Dodge or Chrysler product after my experience with this vehicle and the dealer? No I will not. To bad really since I like other features of this car.

Canadian brings up a good point relating to the Mult-Air system and i am now wondering if the 1.4 Turbo version of the Dart uses the same Multi-Air system as the 2.4 Version or is it a totally different setup? If similar perhaps there is room to try a thicker oil.

Same Multiair design, yes, but made to run on different viscosities.

Also, IMO, never trust "Oil life indicators" - they try to give you an estimation of how "worn" your oil is based on driving habits. I will always stick to 5000mi on the nose, regardless of some gauge.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Same Multiair design, yes, but made to run on different viscosities.

Also, IMO, never trust "Oil life indicators" - they try to give you an estimation of how "worn" your oil is based on driving habits. I will always stick to 5000mi on the nose, regardless of some gauge.
The 1.4T in the Dart uses the first-generation MultiAir, and the 2.4L Tigershark was the first engine to use the second-generation MultiAir II. MultiAir II is now used with the 1.4T in some new European models, where it makes 170hp. As you say, though, the system can probably be configured to run using different oil viscosities, assuming it's necessary.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good info thanks jsblanch and canadian for your thoughts.

I think after 5,000 miles with 5W-30 I would be about two quarts low. I could run it for 5,000 Miles without adding oil and replace the oil and filter at that point but I just hate running an engine over a quart low so that won't work for me.

If I installed a larger filter to increase oil capacity and continue with 5W-30, perhaps I could get away with running this vehicle two quarts low prior to oil and filter change. Is there a standpipe in this system or does it pull the oil from the bottom of the oil pan? With 0W-20 it would be 3.5 - 4 quarts low at 5,000 miles and that is just not going to work but 5W-30 might.

If I decide to move forward with 10W-40 for testing purposes I will let everyone know the results but for now I think 5W-30 is the limit that I am comfortable with based on these discussions.

Thanks all for the input I have some good ideas to work with. If anyone else out there cares to comment or has any ideas or information please feel free.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And for fun..here is my oil user.

14Dart2.4L.jpg

And one of my non-oil users. The 1995 has been a Maintenance Hog in other ways which is beyond the scope of this Forum but still is a thing of beauty!

Talon1.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts