Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is using a bit more oil now i may try switching back to mobil 1 to see if it slows down anyone notice an increase in consumption while using PP ? Ive rrad of others having this sort of issue just seeing if anyone else has with their darts being these engines run hotter

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4
67 Posts
Drove my ‘14 Dart SXT 2.4 home from the dealership new, put it on ramps, and changed the oil and filter with Mobil 1. OEM filter was MO-339, replaced it with MO-769 which is more expensive and is the filter called for by FCA. I tell you this because there are disagreements regarding use of the 339, despite its coming off the assembly line. Ironically, the MO-769 is not as readily available as it used to be, and on many of the Mopar branded parts sites, they list the MO-339 as the replacement filter with no option for the MO-769. Also, the car turned 60k and I’ve had no consumption issues; just lucky I guess. I’ve changed the oil and Mopar filter every 5k since new. Overkill? I can do it myself and there’s a satisfaction knowing what was put in the crankcase. So I know I didn’t answer your question as I’ve not used anything but Mobil1 and Mopar filters, but I did want to share my success so far with minimum sticker mileage throughout and higher highway mileage on PA turnpike/Route 80 trips. Good luck with your Dart.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drove my ‘14 Dart SXT 2.4 home from the dealership new, put it on ramps, and changed the oil and filter with Mobil 1. OEM filter was MO-339, replaced it with MO-769 which is more expensive and is the filter called for by FCA. I tell you this because there are disagreements regarding use of the 339, despite its coming off the assembly line. Ironically, the MO-769 is not as readily available as it used to be, and on many of the Mopar branded parts sites, they list the MO-339 as the replacement filter with no option for the MO-769. Also, the car turned 60k and I’ve had no consumption issues; just lucky I guess. I’ve changed the oil and Mopar filter every 5k since new. Overkill? I can do it myself and there’s a satisfaction knowing what was put in the crankcase. So I know I didn’t answer your question as I’ve not used anything but Mobil1 and Mopar filters, but I did want to share my success so far with minimum sticker mileage throughout and higher highway mileage on PA turnpike/Route 80 trips. Good luck with your Dart.
I have the big wix filter upgrade from modern performance i just recently switched back to mobil 1 to see what happens i put 0w-30 instead of 0w-20. The big filter upgrade eliminates the oil cooler and increases the size of the oil filter allowing you to hold an extra qt and increases oil pressure by 15 percent i change mine every 4000 so no its not overkill just dont trust the dealer. I disabled the active grill shutter removed the belly pan run a slightly heaver oil. As far as the consumption i just think because there is squirters below each piston i think the oil vaporizes easier we will see what happens but my Chrysler 200 i had thats all i used was mobil 1 and never used oil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car is using a bit more oil now i may try switching back to mobil 1 to see if it slows down anyone notice an increase in consumption while using PP ? Ive rrad of others having this sort of issue just seeing if anyone else has with their darts being these engines run hotter
I stopped using PP at 50k mileage and switched to Mobil 1 advanced ow 20, never had drastic oil consumption ever since. I use the OEM filter and change the oil myself every 4k. After the PCM update, hasn’t consumed a noticeable amount of oil and I’m now at 79k. Runs way better after that flash update.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stopped using PP at 50k mileage and switched to Mobil 1 advanced ow 20, never had drastic oil consumption ever since. I use the OEM filter and change the oil myself every 4k. After the PCM update, hasn’t consumed a noticeable amount of oil and I’m now at 79k. Runs way better after that flash update.
So you did have increased consumption from PP?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So you did have increased consumption from PP?
Yes, I tried Castrol Edge, PP, and Mobil 1, with PP having the most consumption. I think it’s too thin of an oil despite the weight by the manufacturer. I honestly think it wasn’t tested by Fiat for rigorous driving, as a daily commute car when using PP.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I tried Castrol Edge, PP, and Mobil 1, with PP having the most consumption. I think it’s too thin of an oil despite the weight by the manufacturer. I honestly think it wasn’t tested by Fiat for rigorous driving, as a daily commute car when using PP.
Interesting part is i been using 5w-30 now just switched to mobil 1 0w-30 to see the difference and i tell ya the 0w-30 runs really well i cant run 20 weight in phoenix cuz i noticed it crystallizes and sludges up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting part is i been using 5w-30 now just switched to mobil 1 0w-30 to see the difference and i tell ya the 0w-30 runs really well i cant run 20 weight in phoenix cuz i noticed it crystallizes and sludges up
Well you can’t trust what they sell you these days, all oil companies are just trying to meet EPA standards and just be compliant with Car manufacturer requests. That’s what it all comes down to

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you can’t trust what they sell you these days, all oil companies are just trying to meet EPA standards and just be compliant with Car manufacturer requests. That’s what it all comes down to
My dad took classes on oil cuz hes a mechanic and anywhere from quaker state Pennzoil Castrol etc are all Pennsylvania grade oils which arent sutible for hot climates but mobil 1 has always been my dads goto oil even when he was racing

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4
67 Posts
Feel compelled to add I’ve used Mobil1 since 1976. First put it in a new 6 cyl Nova. Replaced the valve cover gasket at 99k and you could eat your dinner off the rockers. Not one hint of sludge. Had it new in 10 Mopars since then and the same great mileage results. Now when I win my Vette at our Christmas parish raffle I’ll see how the Mobil 1 from the factory works…….LOL

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feel compelled to add I’ve used Mobil1 since 1976. First put it in a new 6 cyl Nova. Replaced the valve cover gasket at 99k and you could eat your dinner off the rockers. Not one hint of sludge. Had it new in 10 Mopars since then and the same great mileage results. Now when I win my Vette at our Christmas parish raffle I’ll see how the Mobil 1 from the factory works…….LOL
Yeah i had a 2012 Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 and ran mobil 1 sence i got it and didnt burn any oil even at 125 thousand miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That 2.4 engine has a flaw it consume oil there is an update for the engine programing its a free update but in my opinion it doesn't work cause it still consumes oil

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone tried red line in the 2.4 ? Also, does the mobil 1 meet the chrysler spec for the dart ?
The spec is nonsense doesnt mean anything Chrysler pays money to have that spec put on there now that ive switched to mobil 1 my consumption has stopped Pennzoil platinum is good oil but vaporizes to easily

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
112 Posts
The 2.4 isnt a hi output motor so ive been using simple 5-20 synthetic and a over the counter filter with no issues, my cars history is crazy, im the eight owner of a 5 year old car. Much to my surprise and against my normal luck my 2.4 seems to use zero oil.

But my point for posting is I have noticed many synthetics will even evap. while even in my oil cabinet. I went to get some Mob1 I had stashed for just 4 years and several of the qts, were 1/6 down.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 2.4 isnt a hi output motor so ive been using simple 5-20 synthetic and a over the counter filter with no issues, my cars history is crazy, im the eight owner of a 5 year old car. Much to my surprise and against my normal luck my 2.4 seems to use zero oil.

But my point for posting is I have noticed many synthetics will even evap. while even in my oil cabinet. I went to get some Mob1 I had stashed for just 4 years and several of the qts, were 1/6 down.
So far ive had luck running 0w-30

·
Registered
58 Posts

I looked at a chart on line and Mobil 1 has a higher voilitility than the penzoil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts