Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to see if anybody has experienced any MultiAir misfiring due to dirty oil ? They say dirty oil could potentially clog the MultiAir ports. I've been having random misfires and when I turn the car off and back on it goes away. Already swapped all 4 coils last year so I don't think that is the issue. Spark plugs are in decent shape, but towards the end of their life.

I just got my oil changed today to see if it fixes the issues. It was at 5k miles but I do all stop n go driving and it was pretty dark looking.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
The oil passages for the MultiAir are quite small to achieve the high hydraulic pressure necessary. Usually if a solenoid gets stuck, it will throw a code. I have real reservations about letting the oil monitor tell you when to change your oil. 5000 miles is the most I would trust from any oil and filter. The recent batch of codes for stuck solenoids could be from a clogged MultiAir filter. Varnish deposits if thick enough can be a problem. Adding a half quart of ATF+4 trans fluid to your oil near the end of your oil's life is a great detergent that may unstick an intermittent solenoid.
There are filters for the MultiAir. If you have a 1.4, it's a little easier to replace.

If it's a 2.4, the head would need to be pulled. If for any reason the head is removed, replace that filter.

Reactions: Killraven

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got an oil change yesterday at lunch time. Started the car at 5pm to leave work and it immediately misfired. I limped her home, luckily I only live a mile away. Taking it to the dealership this weekend to let them sort it out. I have exactly 3 months left on my extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Sucks to hear that. I've always changed my oil at 5,000 miles simply because I don't believe the claims that you can go twice that far with synthetic oil. Maybe you can, but it's still not a good idea.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sucks to hear that. I've always changed my oil at 5,000 miles simply because I don't believe the claims that you can go twice that far with synthetic oil. Maybe you can, but it's still not a good idea.
The other member on here with the thread "chasing ghosts on misfire" sounded like he was in the same situation as me. He said it was his valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets that were bad. He had them fixed at the dealership and now he said it's working fine. I'm taking it in next week.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New spark plugs made no difference. Number 2 plug was different looking than the rest, wet with oil. I'm going to laugh if this is related to the battery. It's right about 2 years old.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
If the spark plug threads were wet with oil, that is the spark plug tube seal that is leaking and filling the tube well. When you remove the spark plug, the oil flows down onto the plug threads by gravity. When the plug was in the head, the oil filled the spark plug tube well. Ignition coils do not like oil and will misfire.

Reactions: Delta Dart
1 - 7 of 7 Posts