Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys am I the only one who has the opinion that an AWD SRT dart isn't what I'm looking for? and Im actually hoping for a FWD 2.4 turbo vehicle.

If anyone has been paying attention to the dodge 5 year focus you can see that there is going to be a new introduction of a new vehicle currently titled D-CUV which likely means it's a derivative based on the dart platform that is, "Compact Utility Veichle". If you look on page 28 on http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/PresentationList/Dodge_Brand.pdf. you can see that that the focus is going to be to leverage positioning between compact and Mid-size cars. The Focus is there so much so that there is going to introduce a 2016 veichle line up that will have an SRT HO enigne v6 for 2016.

If you look at Chrysler as a whole the only real option on the AWD transmission are found for the v6 Pentastar engines often seen on the 300, Charger ETC... anyways. Those transmission are automatics and obvously the engine isn't turbocharged. not that the Pentastar engines isn't a good candidate for the SRT Dart. it's an amazing engine, it's torquey as all hell. but it'll mean that the it's won't be a 4 cylinder variant. I can't for the life of me recall any AWD transmission that Chrysler makes for 4 cylinder horizontal engines.

Originally I was planing when the 2016 line up came out i was just going to keep my 2013 chassis and drop the engine and trans combo 2.4 turbo (SRT) by outright purchasing the whole thing from the dealer. I can of afforded to buy a transmission/engine/ecu and buy all the component. I can't do a FWD to AWD conversion. I just don't have the tenacity to pay for such a swap...

MY PLANS ARE RUIN!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone else have trouble reading the above post?
The only downside to AWD is the extra weight needed for all of the equipment.
Really won't make much difference if Chrysler uses a V6 or a turbo 4, I imagine the engineers could figure out what to do.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Anyone else have trouble reading the above post?
The only downside to AWD is the extra weight needed for all of the equipment.
Really won't make much difference if Chrysler uses a V6 or a turbo 4, I imagine the engineers could figure out what to do.
The post reads just fine. He doesn't want awd. He wants fwd. He doesn't want a v6. He wants a turbo 4. And he will swap a srt drivtrain into his dart. What was so complex about that?

OP rememeber, its not just Chrysler now. Its alpha, fiat, and any other company they own. I'm sure it will be some varient of a alpha awd drivetrain. The dart is already seriously over weight. Awd makes things much worse, and a v6 will be entirely to heavy. Well unless they go the Italian way and use a small displacement high revving v6...

Personally. I'd like to see rwd, The ability to shut off the nanny systems completely, and a 2L turbo. Of and please loosr all this stupid technology crap. Imagine how much weight could be shaved just by loosing all the ignorant systems that they feel the need to install in a modern dodge. Its a performance vehicle. It doesn't need a radio, it needs a good sounding exhaust.

Set it up like a 95 ACR neon. And watch the dart out sell every car in Its class. And dominate the scca again. They got it right with the 1g neon, hopefully, they can get it right again.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Sucks that you plans are ruined.

But in 2016 there will be two turbo Darts. A FWD turbo positioned below the AWD. There is some speculation that they will share an engine, the 2.0 Hurricane, and the 2.4 will only be NA.

Would a swap out with the 2016 FWD turbo Dart be something that interest you?

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Other than the extra price tag and weight, AWD will make the Dart SRT pretty awesome. Sucks your plans are ruined, but Chrysler isn't going to cater around your plans. I'm sure you know that and are just venting.

They can use the AWD system from the Jeep Cherokee and new Chrysler 200 as its on the same platform, only slightly stretched. I think remember reading somewhere that said the Cherokee and the 200 AWD use the same system? I know they're both on the same platform the Dart is built off from. I seriously doubt they're going to design an AWD system specifically for the Dart SRT and only the Dart SRT unless they plan on offering the Chrysler 200 and Jeep Cherokee 4 cyl with AWD down the road as a result of this new system they could design. I'd think they'd find a way to make the existing AWD system work with the Dart.

Other the other hand, nothing has been formally announced yet. Until we see an AWD Dart SRT formally announced with the car in front of them, anything is possible. I know its already been said in the 5yr plan it would be an AWD Dart SRT, but plans change for various reasons.

I myself wonder how heavy the AWD Dart SRT will be. Its already heavier than its competition without the added weight of the AWD system. I think they're gonna have to really do a lot of work to reduce the weight. Maybe they're designing new engines to reduce weight, especially a lighter, more powerful 2.0 turbo engine would be nice. I'd even like to see a 1.8 Turbo. To me, it would be a HUGE disappointment to see Dodge put a turbocharged V6 in the Dart SRT. I want to see a 4 banger damn it! By placing a V6 in, its almost like cheating IMO with its competition. You can't make a powerful enough 4cyl turbo so you have to cheat and put a larger engine in it, still with a turbo.

Maybe a better project would be to somehow make the drivetrain from the Caliber SRT-4 work in your Dart. Not sure how it could all work with the newer electronics of today, but I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hey guys, they don't go into production until @ August of 2016, which technically means it will be a 2017 model. And if current sales on the Dart don't improve by then, this whole thing may be going nowhere. Hell, the Dart could be discontinued by then.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
It shouldn't be ruined. The drive train that current awd Chrysler's have, like the jeep Cherokee, renegade, and the Chrysler 200, are lossless systems. Yes they have weight, but the dart isn't exactly a light platform anyway, it's not going to be hurting by much. Fwd SRT would probably be borderline underivable, torque steer every time you move from a stop light.

That said, you probably COULD do a turbo swap from it; whether the trans and clutch will stand up to ~300* HP/tq, is another story entirely.

* 300hp/tq is an estimate I came up with using past srts as reference.

@nydartsrt - the 4wd is already on the 4 bangers in the Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
FWD performance car LMFAO

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Hey guys, they don't go into production until @ August of 2016, which technically means it will be a 2017 model. And if current sales on the Dart don't improve by then, this whole thing may be going nowhere. Hell, the Dart could be discontinued by then.
That's unlikely.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
FWD performance car LMFAO
Your kidding with the lmfao right? Fwd performance cars have been built for years. Please educate your self on the capability and drawback of fwd, awd, and rwd before speaking. Ignorance makes you look, well, ignorant.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea blame Subaru when they been doing the same drivetrains for 20+ years.
anyways my main interest was do in engine swap for performance. if in the event that I am unable to get a 4 cylinder performance engine then I would Not mind trying out a v6 front wheel drive if it were an option

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Don't recall an awd 4 cyl? Don't forget about the upcoming jeep renegade

-pitajr

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
It shouldn't be ruined. The drive train that current awd Chrysler's have, like the jeep Cherokee, renegade, and the Chrysler 200, are lossless systems. Yes they have weight, but the dart isn't exactly a light platform anyway, it's not going to be hurting by much. Fwd SRT would probably be borderline underivable, torque steer every time you move from a stop light.

That said, you probably COULD do a turbo swap from it; whether the trans and clutch will stand up to ~300* HP/tq, is another story entirely.

* 300hp/tq is an estimate I came up with using past srts as reference.

@nydartsrt - the 4wd is already on the 4 bangers in the Cherokee.
I don't really think thats considered AWD though???

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
the post reads just fine. He doesn't want awd. He wants fwd. He doesn't want a v6. He wants a turbo 4. And he will swap a srt drivtrain into his dart. What was so complex about that?

Op rememeber, its not just chrysler now. Its alpha, fiat, and any other company they own. I'm sure it will be some varient of a alpha awd drivetrain. The dart is already seriously over weight. Awd makes things much worse, and a v6 will be entirely to heavy. Well unless they go the italian way and use a small displacement high revving v6...

Personally. I'd like to see rwd, the ability to shut off the nanny systems completely, and a 2l turbo. Of and please loosr all this stupid technology crap. Imagine how much weight could be shaved just by loosing all the ignorant systems that they feel the need to install in a modern dodge. Its a performance vehicle. It doesn't need a radio, it needs a good sounding exhaust.

Set it up like a 95 acr neon. And watch the dart out sell every car in its class. And dominate the scca again. They got it right with the 1g neon, hopefully, they can get it right again.
yes!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Your kidding with the lmfao right? Fwd performance cars have been built for years. Please educate your self on the capability and drawback of fwd, awd, and rwd before speaking. Ignorance makes you look, well, ignorant.
By having the front wheels do the steering, and the rear wheels driving the car, you get a better-balanced vehicle. This eliminates torque steer and improves acceleration. Rear wheel drive offers better weight distribution (much closer to 50/50 than fwd), which in turn offers more predictable handling. With the advent of traction control and stability management systems, the front wheel drive advantage in slippery conditions has been significantly reduced. Like I stated previously PERFORMANCE car FWD LMFAO!

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
dont worry Blader. it will also be Automatic too. im sure that will help all the non drivers to own them.

this is why i hope they do a FWD version as well with manual.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
About this Discussion
200 Replies
45 Participants
dad's dart
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing