Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell everyone! I am looking for any information someone can give me on the stock rods. I need to replace them but not even the dealer in town can get them as they’re discontinued. Does anyone know where I might find them? I’ve scoured inline looking but can’t find any. There is a site that carries the stock rods for the fiat and as it’s the same motor I assume it would work but I want to be sure before I spend any money. And I am also seeing an A, B, and C size for the rods and I don’t know how to tell what size I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
89 Posts
What is wrong with your current rods?

Why not just weigh one or all for the average total rod weight or just run by a shop and get the balance weights.

Here is a priced right set of aftermarket rods. Great brand.

Molnar 5.078" Billet Connecting Rods for Fiat 1.4L MultiAir | eBay

A lot on the page. fiat 1.4 connectiong rods | eBay

As far as your ABC ect.... probably a QC deal to mix and match sizes to get to the middle spec size wise id think vs weight.

Reading more of your post, you really should have your rig torn down fully, inspected, sizes checked then go for your replacement parts.

Why not ask that seller about there ABC.

Ever thought of buying a builder core motor to go with or just for parts you may need?

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Piston Diameter - Class A
71.960 - 71.970 mm
2.8331 - 2.8835 in.

Piston Diameter - Class B
71.970 - 71.980 mm
2.8835 - 2.8339 in.

Piston Diameter - Class C
71.980 - 71.990 mm
2.8339 - 2.8342 in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Why not just weigh one or all for the average total rod weight or just run by a shop and get the balance weights.

As far as your ABC ect.... probably a QC deal to mix and match sizes to get to the middle spec size wise id think vs weight.

Reading more of your post, you really should have your rig torn down fully, inspected, sizes checked then go for your replacement parts.

Ever thought of buying a builder core motor to go with or just for parts you may need?

The stock rods are bent from getting water sucked into the motor. Aftermarket rods are easier to find than the stock ones actually lol I have the motor mostly apart while still in the car, I’ll have it out before I do any more but I know I need new rods for sure and will order whatever else I need along the way. I did email a dealer about the ABC deal and they were helping me find out what I have but they needed to see a sticker that was unfortunately to damaged to make out. I recently got a second job so its been hard to do a lot of work on it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Piston Diameter - Class A
71.960 - 71.970 mm
2.8331 - 2.8835 in.

Piston Diameter - Class B
71.970 - 71.980 mm
2.8835 - 2.8339 in.

Piston Diameter - Class C
71.980 - 71.990 mm
2.8339 - 2.8342 in.
Would you know by chance how to tell what size I currently have? I emailed a place about it but we couldn’t find out

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
89 Posts
Take them to a machine shop and pay a few bucks to have them measure them for you. They do it every day. Not a dig but even if you had the proper tool you might have a hard time getting the right measurements. Its even a leaning curve to use them properly, you get a feel for them and you also...sorta hard to put into words.

If you do, take them specs for a b c with you.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
89 Posts
You also need to find out where they are getting there measurements from for instance 180 from the pin, or possible lower on the skirt like on these.

Zero room for error on these newer tight clearance motors.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
If the engine was assembled in Italy:

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Electronic device

On Termoli built engine blocks the readable engine identification is on a label affixed to the rear face of the block. The engine identification is structured as follows:

Block Type (two digits):

•13 = Naturally Aspirated
•14 = Turbocharged

Block cylinder bore class (four alpha characters) A, B or C starting at cylinder 1 reading left to right.

Block main bearing bore class (five digits) 1, 2 or 3 starting from the front reading left to right.

Block main bearing bore punctual class (ten digits) 05 through 18, two digits per main bearing bore. The two digits represent the last two digits of actual measurement of crank bearing class in microns starting from the front reading left to right.

Traceability (five digits) year, day and shift.

•4 = Year
•064 = Day of the year
•3 = Shift

Added traceability (three digits) progressive shift.

Final check (two alpha characters and one digit) OK and a control number.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
Found some better info:
09 - Engine, 1.4L I4 16V Turbo / Engine Block / ROD, Piston and Connecting / Standard Procedure

Piston Fitting
Automotive tire Product Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

The pistons are “select fit” to achieve proper oil clearance. On Dundee Engine Plant (DEP) engine blocks the cylinder bore diameter grade markings (1) are etched on the right face of the engine block near the intake manifold.

DUNDEE ENGINE BLOCK ETCHING EXAMPLE BCAB
Font Rectangle Parallel Logo Line art

These marks are read from front to rear (right to left ) corresponding with cylinder number 1, 2, 3, 4. Cylinder number one is B, cylinder number 2 is A, cylinder number three is C.

On Termoli built engine blocks the cylinder bore diameter grade markings are on a label affixed to the rear face of the block (1).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Wheel

TERMOLI ENGINE BLOCK BARCODE EXAMPLE BCAB
Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Electronic device

These marks are read from left to right, corresponding with cylinder number 1, 2, 3, 4. Cylinder number one is B, cylinder number 2 is C, cylinder number three is A. Engine block cylinder bore diameter grade markings correspond to specific cylinder bore diameters. The chart below identifies the three engine block grade markings and their associated cylinder bore diameters.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Electric blue

The piston is marked with the piston size (1) on the piston crown. The pistons are available in three different sizes in order to achieve the desired oil clearance. Select the piston size that corresponds to the engine block cylinder bore diameter grade markings for each cylinder.
Font Circle Number Illustration Home accessories

Pistons are available in three sizes. The chart below identifies the three piston sizes.
Rectangle Font Line Material property Parallel

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
09 - Engine, 1.4L I4 16V Turbo / Engine Block / ROD, Piston and Connecting / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.If required, select and fit new piston and connecting rod assemblies to the engine block (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block/ROD, Piston and Connecting - Standard Procedure) .

2.If required, hone the cylinder bores (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block - Standard Procedure) .

3.If removed, install the piston rings (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block/RING(S) , Piston - Installation).

4.Position the piston ring end gaps as follows:
•Oil control ring expander gap (5)
•Oil control ring end gap (2)
•No. 2 (intermediate) ring end gap (4)
•No. 1 (upper) ring end gap (1)
Hand Eye Human body Gesture Font

NOTE:
Make sure the position of the ring end gaps does not change when installing the ring compressor.

5.Lubricate the piston rings with clean engine oil. Position the Compressor, Piston C-385 (2) over the piston and rings. Tighten the compressor (2).

NOTE:
Install the rod bearings in pairs. Do not mix sizes or use a new bearing half with an old bearing half.
Wheel Motor vehicle Product Bicycle part Line

6.Install the bearing shell (7) on the connecting rod with the tang inserted into the machined groove in the rod. Lubricate the bearing surface with clean engine oil.

7.Install the Pins, Connecting Rod Guide 10281 (6) on the connecting rod.

8.The pistons crowns are stamped with an arrowhead (1) indicating installation position. The arrowhead must point toward the front of engine.
Font Auto part Circle Drawing Diagram

9.Wipe the cylinder bore clean and lubricate with clean engine oil.

10.Rotate the crankshaft until the connecting rod journal is on the center of cylinder bore. Insert the piston and connecting rod into the cylinder bore and carefully position the guide pins over the crankshaft journal.

11.Tap the piston down in the cylinder bore using a hammer handle while guiding the connecting rod into position over the rod journal.

CAUTION:
The connecting rod bolts must not be reused. Always replace the connecting rod bolts whenever they are loosened or removed.

12.Install the bearing shell (5) on the connecting rod cap (3) with the tang inserted into the machined groove in the cap. Lubricate the bearing surface with clean engine oil.

NOTE:
Do not lubricate the threads of the connecting rod cap bolts (4).

13.Install the connecting rod cap and bearing with the tang on the same side as the rod. Tighten the NEW connecting rod cap bolts (4) to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.) plus 40 degrees.

14.If required, check the connecting rod side clearance (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block/ROD, Piston and Connecting - Standard Procedure) .

15.Repeat the previous steps for each piston being installed.

16.Install the oil pump pick-up and oil pan (Refer to 09 - Engine/Lubrication/PICK-UP, Oil Pump - Installation) .
17.Install the cylinder head, timing belt and sprockets (Refer to 09 - Engine/Cylinder Head - Installation) .

18.Install the engine (Refer to 09 - Engine - Installation) .
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Font

19.If removed, install the oil filter and fill the engine crankcase with the proper oil to the correct level (Refer to 09 - Engine/Lubrication/OIL - Standard Procedure) .

20.Connect the negative battery cable and tighten nut to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.).

21.Fill the cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .

22.Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. Check cooling system for correct fluid level (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, alpine, for that tutorial. I have the sticker on my block but it is so worn you can’t read it. But my pistons do have the stamps visible and according to this and the pistons I would need 2 A size and 2 B size. I have them labeled so I know which one goes where. I now need to find a machine shop to send my crankshaft to for rebalancing for aftermarket rods, those Molnar rods look sweet and have great reviews so I’m gonna jump the gun and get those

1 - 12 of 12 Posts