Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody... new here. First of all, thanks for sharing opinions and information on this forum. It's very helpful for somebody like me who is looking at the Dart pretty seriously.

My question at the moment: If I want the Alpine system installed as an option, can I get it without the 8.4 uConnect and Premium Audio? The builder on the Dodge site forces you to include both premium audio and the uConnect, but as an avid audiophile/driver, I just want the speakers and woofer. I know the uConnect system is supposedly pretty amazing, but I do fine with old fashioned buttons.

A secondary question for those that didn't opt for the Alpine: how is the base system? I've read posts about installing an aftermarket system which I could/would do, but if it comes with a kickin stereo, I might as well just order that.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have to get the 8.4 screen to get the alpine. But it is pretty cool. I have it in both my cars

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Had I ordered mine I probably would have gotten alpine. Since I bought the one they had, stock system is good enough for me to leave it alone until I loose a speaker.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can speak to the base audio system, as that's what I have.
I'm OK with the radio itself. The Aux input for a mp3 player is in the center console, and that's different, but not a deal breaker.
The base speakers are pretty lame ,though. I've already replaced the fronts with the drop in Kickers and they're MUCH better. I have a photo on another thread showing the factory vs Kicker 6x9 woofers...
The radio will display the artist and song, but only a portion of the song name.
I'm maybe going to put the Kickers in the rear doors, but I'm not sure. I'm good already with the fronts being replaced. Big difference!
I've tried to find specs on the factory base radio, but haven't been able to.
So, I'm happy with it, but people wanting the shear power and volume might not be. I just didn't need all of the bells and whistles that the premium audio brings.
So, with better speakers, the base audio is alright.
Hey everybody... new here. First of all, thanks for sharing opinions and information on this forum. It's very helpful for somebody like me who is looking at the Dart pretty seriously.

My question at the moment: If I want the Alpine system installed as an option, can I get it without the 8.4 uConnect and Premium Audio? The builder on the Dodge site forces you to include both premium audio and the uConnect, but as an avid audiophile/driver, I just want the speakers and woofer. I know the uConnect system is supposedly pretty amazing, but I do fine with old fashioned buttons.

A secondary question for those that didn't opt for the Alpine: how is the base system? I've read posts about installing an aftermarket system which I could/would do, but if it comes with a kickin stereo, I might as well just order that.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can speak to the base audio system, as that's what I have.
I'm OK with the radio itself. The Aux input for a mp3 player is in the center console, and that's different, but not a deal breaker.
The base speakers are pretty lame ,though. I've already replaced the fronts with the drop in Kickers and they're MUCH better. I have a photo on another thread showing the factory vs Kicker 6x9 woofers...
The radio will display the artist and song, but only a portion of the song name.
I'm maybe going to put the Kickers in the rear doors, but I'm not sure. I'm good already with the fronts being replaced. Big difference!
I've tried to find specs on the factory base radio, but haven't been able to.
So, I'm happy with it, but people wanting the shear power and volume might not be. I just didn't need all of the bells and whistles that the premium audio brings.
So, with better speakers, the base audio is alright.
Forgot to add, I drove a Limited with the Alpine system and was surprised at how NOT impressed I was with it.
Someone else on here basically said the same thing......

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the alpine sounds great!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the alpine sounds great!!
Yeah, I didn't mean to say it sounded bad, it's just that I expected to be blown away...... as an example, I had the Boston Accustics system in my Avenger R/T, and it didn't have any sub, and sounded , (to me) almost as nice as the Alpine.
Granted, I only listened to it for around 15 min., and listening to XM is not the source of choice.
So I defer to the people who actually have the system. I'm sure it's really nice. If there would have been one on the dealers lot, I MAY have gotten it, but am happy with what I have.:)

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Well he'll you can't base your thoughts and opinion of alpine on listening to XM as the quality is 39kbit/s where as iTunes is 256k. An amp can't make filet mignon out of feces lol ..I would have brought an aux cable or USB cable and played from my iPod....I bet it would have blown you away then.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well he'll you can't base your thoughts and opinion of alpine on listening to XM as the quality is 39kbit/s where as iTunes is 256k. An amp can't make filet mignon out of feces lol ..I would have brought an aux cable or USB cable and played from my iPod....I bet it would have blown you away then.
I didn't realize the disparity was that big between iTunes and XM as at as sound quality. No wonder stuff I play of my phone sounds so much better.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
I didn't realize the disparity was that big between iTunes and XM as at as sound quality. No wonder stuff I play of my phone sounds so much better.
Yea their feelings are, invest in more channel options, instead of higher quality channels.....they have great channels but that's one thing I hate!

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with premium audio systems in Chrysler vehicles. The MusicGate Boston system in my Caliber sounds pretty good. The subwoofer sucks sometimes as it can't handle large amounts of bass with certain tones in certain songs, but when its not wigging out it sounds very very good for an OEM system. I do wish I could hear the Alpine system for myself. Yes, I also agree that you can't judge quality off Sirius/XM. The quality of the songs isn't exactly stellar. Some are better than others. If you want to get a real taste of how the Alpine system sounds, plug in your iPod, or put a CD in the drive and play it. Its like an entirely different world.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, so I compared Kickers with XM, and Alpine with XM, and still wasn't blown away.
Not having done a scientific study, I still didn't think the Alpine system was all that great.
Has anyone compared the two?
I have.
While not an exact A-B comparison, it's what I came away feeling about it.
YMMV

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
I wouldn't compare either one with Sirius/XM. The audio quality is different...not all songs have an equal bitrate on Sirius/XM. This is why you should use an iPod or a CD...its the same no matter what.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree, but my point is that is all I had to compare it to, as I didn't bring my iPod for the test drive.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
I agree, but my point is that is all I had to compare it to, as I didn't bring my iPod for the test drive.
Well I got the alpine system because there is a fairly significant difference in quality for me between the two. Now if I can just get my ordered car, I'll be happy!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I got the alpine system because there is a fairly significant difference in quality for me between the two. Now if I can just get my ordered car, I'll be happy!
Time seems to slow down when you're waiting for something that you want real bad. Hope it's not too much longer.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts