Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks -

Just wanted to let you know that it appears that the Dart SE (Base model, FEW options) includes the wiring loom for the cruise control. If you look at the your original parts, there's a "dummy module" that's hidden behind the solid plate on the right-hand portion of your steering wheel.

Acting on a hunch, I ordered a new right-hand steering wheel bezel, and the Cruise Control Switch -

Bezel - 5LS97JXPAA - This part is for a leather wrapped steering wheel car, so the finish is a bit smoother than the plastic from the base model. You may be able to find a better match, but in my car, the difference is negligible.

Switch - 68140288AA - This is the cruise control switch.

The parts should run you around $65 depending on your source.

Installation was pretty easy - I had to remove the air bag (2 x 10mm bolts), there were two torx screws attached to the white plastic "support" under the airbag, and a single screw attaching that support to the metal portion of the steering wheel.

Once the bezel is removed (after disconnecting the wiring that's attached to the dummy module), unscrew the three torx screws attached to your original dummy module. Re-use the screws on the new bezel and switch, and reassemble.

NO PROGRAMMING WAS REQUIRED! The cruise control was immediately available and functions perfectly!

This is a much better option that an aftermarket cruise, and it's already enabled in the computer. ROCK ON!

Hope this helps some of you out there like myself that are cheap (or were too excited driving their Dart off the lot to check for the presence of the cruise control buttons.)

-Daniel

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Folks -

Just wanted to let you know that it appears that the Dart SE (Base model, FEW options) includes the wiring loom for the cruise control. If you look at the your original parts, there's a "dummy module" that's hidden behind the solid plate on the right-hand portion of your steering wheel.

Acting on a hunch, I ordered a new right-hand steering wheel bezel, and the Cruise Control Switch -

Bezel - 5LS97JXPAA - This part is for a leather wrapped steering wheel car, so the finish is a bit smoother than the plastic from the base model. You may be able to find a better match, but in my car, the difference is negligible.

Installation was pretty easy - I had to remove the air bag (2 x 10mm bolts), there were two torx screws attached to the white plastic "support" under the airbag, and a single screw attaching that support to the metal portion of the steering wheel.

Once the bezel is removed (after disconnecting the wiring that's attached to the dummy module), unscrew the three torx screws attached to your original dummy module. Re-use the screws on the new bezel and switch, and reassemble.

NO PROGRAMMING WAS REQUIRED! The cruise control was immediately available and functions perfectly!

This is a much better option that an aftermarket cruise, and it's already enabled in the computer. ROCK ON!

Hope this helps some of you out there like myself that are cheap (or were too excited driving their Dart off the lot to check for the presence of the cruise control buttons.)

-Daniel

Wait hold the truck up!!!! People actually have the SE model????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL - Indeed... :) We needed a comfortable long distance car (I do 850 miles every 2 weeks) and this one fell into our laps. At the price point (just under $15k), it made sense! We got to take advantage of the fact that most Midwestern drivers are too scared of the third pedal. Apparently this car had been test-driven ONCE in the time it had been sitting on the lot.

It goes in on Monday for fog light installation, and I'm waiting on the Mopar racetrack LED lights (backordered 2 weeks.) Add the auto-dimming mirror and it's got every feature I wanted... at least until the aftermarket stereo install kits start getting out on the market.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
LOL - Indeed... :) We needed a comfortable long distance car (I do 850 miles every 2 weeks) and this one fell into our laps. At the price point (just under $15k), it made sense! We got to take advantage of the fact that most Midwestern drivers are too scared of the third pedal. Apparently this car had been test-driven ONCE in the time it had been sitting on the lot.

It goes in on Monday for fog light installation, and I'm waiting on the Mopar racetrack LED lights (backordered 2 weeks.) Add the auto-dimming mirror and it's got every feature I wanted... at least until the aftermarket stereo install kits start getting out on the market.
Nice!!!....enjoy your dart

·
Registered
753 Posts
We added it to our 2009 Liberty same thing and it also worked right off the bat but we did experience times that it would not work and it was because the computer was not updated. For the most part it worked but every once in a while it would not, usually on a long trip when we really wanted it, lol. We would have to unlock and lock on the remote while driving or pull over shut it off, open the doors and restart to kind of trick out the computer and then it would work, usually. Not to bust your bubble or to say it will have problems, hopefully it won't, but if it does that is what we did to deal with it. Of course we could have just gone and had it flashed too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is great to know. I really want cruise as well. Since it was not even an option for me. I will print this off and take it to the dealership to show them to help them out.

:beerchug:

Reactions: FrozenDartMN

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Its been that way as long as I can remember. I added it after the fact on my 2002 Neon, You could add it to the NSRT. I added it to my dad's 98 dakota.... I would recommend taking it to the dealer and having them update the computer JIC.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Folks -

-Daniel
Daniel,

Super cool that it worked out for you!
My only recommendation, and this is jut to be safe and when you have time, get your Dart in to your dealer and make sure the installation isn't affecting anything (modules, Air Bag, etc.). This has nothing to do with you or your work, it's just that when I see that someone pulled their Air bag out, I get a little an easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daniel,

Super cool that it worked out for you!
My only recommendation, and this is jut to be safe and when you have time, get your Dart in to your dealer and make sure the installation isn't affecting anything (modules, Air Bag, etc.). This has nothing to do with you or your work, it's just that when I see that someone pulled their Air bag out, I get a little an easy.
Totally understood - I'm paranoid about putting tension on any wiring coming out of the clockspring.

It's currently in for service for some other rattles and an accessory install. Since part of the accessory install includes a feature add in StarScan, I would assume they'd check things out.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I may do this. When I bought my SE, I asked that cruise be added. It is on my purchase paperwork as still owed, but the dealer is still stalling. It has been a month and a half. I may just buy the parts myself, have my independent mechanic install them (so I don't mess up the airbag) and ask for my money back. There is a new flash out that it needs anyway.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
how do you get the airbag cover (one with the dodge logo on it) off the steering wheel? do you undo the screws at the back? i dont want to have the airbag blow up in my face when i put these parts on....
Always disconnect the battery before doing anything like that.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.