Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I was just wondering how difficult if even possible it is to add the CD player in the center console to a car that did not come with one. I know you are probably confused as to why my car didn't come with one, and that is because I built mine and simply didn't come out and say "I want the CD player", when building it. The fact they didn't tell me it wasn't standard (which it should be) was stupid, but I knew it probably wouldn't come with it because I noticed online it was an option. A $300 option! That's almost more than the Nav I got. I got every option except the spare (have one from my old dart), the mopar interior package (have everything in the package except for the shift knob, which i already have an aftermarket one, and not spending $700 or something on a package I have sitting at home), and the CD player. I own like 3 CDs, and never used it on my SXT so it's not a huge deal. But even with that said, if I can get the CD player out of a wrecked dart for cheap then sure I would install it. Sure I went all out with all the other options, but why spend more when I don't use or have items already? So I leave you guys with two questions.

1) What do i need to do if I ever wanted to install the CD player down the road

2) What kind of BS do you think it is to make buyers pay an extra $300 on top of opting in for the $600 8.4 touch screen (for lower models)?! I mean you're paying 1k at that point more in an SXT or $300 on top of the sun and sound group which is $1,295! The GT seemed to have lower prices for these options, but still you buy a top of the line model and they can't include a CD player? Even if you don't use it like I didn't plan on, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't really looked at mine that closely but I think the CD player is intergrated into the center console. You'd prolly need a whole new console. And unless they changed something for 2015 I thought the CD player was standard on most models, but especially the GT. How is their the sun & sound group without it? That doesn't make sense.

Edit: It looks like the whole console is one big piece from the armrest area up to just under the dash, including the shifter bezel and cup holders. Hers a link to the part, not as expensive as I thought for the console but I don't see an option for a CD player. Like you said, one from a wrecked dart would be an option but I'm not sure how to get that to work properly with the rest of the system.

http://moparonlineparts.com/repair-parts.php?cPath=23_226_287

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I did look at a friend's and it looked built in. But I do remember those that were doing the basic radio to 8.4 install and saying you could just buy it. Never heard anything about it being integrated, but it did look that way to me on my friend's 14 sxt. I think it's stupid as well that it is not standard. Especially if you opt in for the sun and sound group. And especially on the GT. Did you have part number? When i used that link it just took me to the page and I needed to search myself. It didn't take me to the item.
I haven't really looked at mine that closely but I think the CD player is intergrated into the center console. You'd prolly need a whole new console. And unless they changed something for 2015 I thought the CD player was standard on most models, but especially the GT. How is their the sun & sound group without it? That doesn't make sense.

Edit: It looks like the whole console is one big piece from the armrest area up to just under the dash, including the shifter bezel and cup holders. Hers a link to the part, not as expensive as I thought for the console but I don't see an option for a CD player. Like you said, one from a wrecked dart would be an option but I'm not sure how to get that to work properly with the rest of the system.

Repair Parts

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Repair Parts
i found them lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
^ ok. Yeah, you'd think the CD player would be standard on a GT and the sun & sound package. They must've changed that for '15 unless you got the wrong console for your GT.

And I also think the TFT should be part of the Technology package. Since its one of the biggest pieces of tech, but what do I know lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ ok. Yeah, you'd think the CD player would be standard on a GT and the sun & sound package. They must've changed that for '15 unless you got the wrong console for your GT.

And I also think the TFT should be part of the Technology package. Since its one of the biggest pieces of tech, but what do I know lol.
Oh no the TFT is standard on all GT, Limiteds, and aero's. You don't need the tech pack at all for it. Also you cannot get the tech package on any other trims except the GT and Limited. But no it's definitely not in there lol I actually don't have it yet :disappointed: It's been sitting at the dealer since Tuesday and I'm waiting on a friend to get me an employee discount lol we had one when I ordered, but it for some reason didn't work when the car came in, but did work when we ordered. Wasn't expired yet or anything. Stupid. haha But I did get to go take a look at it. I want it so bad! My avatar picture was one of my favorites that I got.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh no the TFT is standard on all GT, Limiteds, and aero's. You don't need the tech pack at all for it. Also you cannot get the tech package on any other trims except the GT and Limited. But no it's definitely not in there lol I actually don't have it yet :disappointed: It's been sitting at the dealer since Tuesday and I'm waiting on a friend to get me an employee discount lol we had one when I ordered, but it for some reason didn't work when the car came in, but did work when we ordered. Wasn't expired yet or anything. Stupid. haha But I did get to go take a look at it. I want it so bad! My avatar picture was one of my favorites that I got.
I know the TFT is standard on those models but I think it in a tech package would make sense. For instance, an sxt blacktop with the tech package including the TFT would be a good match. Mainly because I don't like the chrome on the limited and HATE the GT's hard ass suspension/ shitty ride quality.

Seems strange about the employee disc situation. The control number is good for one year. Doesn't make sense it would work when ordering but not when the car came it. Sounds like they're playing games. Also, it's probably a friends and family (FF) discount, which is upto 1% below factory invoice. They did away with the full employee disc a few years ago unless you know someone in management/ high up/ executive. Remember the dealer still has wiggle room from holdback.

Hopefully everything works out. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the TFT is standard on those models but I think it in a tech package would make sense. For instance, an sxt blacktop with the tech package including the TFT would be a good match. Mainly because I don't like the chrome on the limited and HATE the GT's hard ass suspension/ shitty ride quality.

Seems strange about the employee disc situation. The control number is good for one year. Doesn't make sense it would work when ordering but not when the car came it. Sounds like they're playing games. Also, it's probably a friends and family (FF) discount, which is upto 1% below factory invoice. They did away with the full employee disc a few years ago unless you know someone in management/ high up/ executive. Remember the dealer still has wiggle room from holdback.

Yeah a good friend of mines has family high up. lol So it's taking a solid 2k off the car :big smile: My sales guy was like oh yeah it's probably the FF discount that's a good one. I gave him the number and he comes back with a stupid look on his face like dude I've never seen anything like this before. This discount is nuts! xD But yeah like i was saying the tech package is only available on GT and limited. But if what I think you're saying is it should be offered on other trims and include the tft than yes! If that was the case I probably would of went with a Rallye fully loaded. I really wanted the TFT, but then again I wanted the leather too so the GT was for me. That mopar exterior package is probably my favorite. My sales guy told me when the car came in he kept getting asked about it because they never saw it on a dart before and were just staring :)

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm also looking to add a 5 year 60k mile extended warranty, paired with a 5 year road hazard, and gap insurance (that saved me on my totaled dart o.o), and with all the rebates and the discount I think I'll be at 24k - 25k out the door. Idk about anyone else but I think that's a steal! Sticker price on the car is 26k before tax... My sxt was 20k out the door and that was with barely any options and only an extended warranty and gap. Here's the window sticker :)

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C3CDFEB0FD247927

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
I think the CD player is fully integrated into the center storage console. I think they made it a stand-alone option for 2014. Honestly, I have one in my 2013 Rallye, and in 19 months of ownership I have yet to confirm if it even works. My wife might have used the one in her 2014 Grand Caravan at some point (no USB or SD slots in the base model), but even then, I don't think so. Making CD players stand alone cost-added options is a pretty good cost-cutting measure for car makers, since I'm certainly not the only person who has no use whatsoever for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the CD player is fully integrated into the center storage console. I think they made it a stand-alone option for 2014. Honestly, I have one in my 2013 Rallye, and in 19 months of ownership I have yet to confirm if it even works. My wife might have used the one in her 2014 Grand Caravan at some point (no USB or SD slots in the base model), but even then, I don't think so. Making CD players stand alone cost-added options is a pretty good cost-cutting measure for car makers, since I'm certainly not the only person who has no use whatsoever for it.
That makes sense but really if you're getting a top of the line model they shouldn't be looking to cut costs with little things such as a CD player. Like I said I probably never would have used it, but still it's a CD player. Sure it's a standalone unit from the touch screen, but if they are already spending the extra money to get the touch screen, a simple CD player should come with it. I told my friend that I was going to buy an old school hand held CD player and use the headphone jack to connect that to the aux jack and play CDs xD not sure if that will work. I'm going to try it lol

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
That makes sense but really if you're getting a top of the line model they shouldn't be looking to cut costs with little things such as a CD player. Like I said I probably never would have used it, but still it's a CD player. Sure it's a standalone unit from the touch screen, but if they are already spending the extra money to get the touch screen, a simple CD player should come with it. I told my friend that I was going to buy an old school hand held CD player and use the headphone jack to connect that to the aux jack and play CDs xD not sure if that will work. I'm going to try it lol
They still sell portable CD players?!? :p They cut costs across the board wherever they can get away with it. Usually it's stuff that people who haven't owned a previous model would never even notice. Like the SD card, lit cupholders, and passenger seat storage bin being deleted for 2014. Unless you had a 2013 with those features or somebody told you about them, you'd never even notice that your car didn't have them.

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They still sell portable CD players?!? :p They cut costs across the board wherever they can get away with it. Usually it's stuff that people who haven't owned a previous model would never even notice. Like the SD card, lit cupholders, and passenger seat storage bin being deleted for 2014. Unless you had a 2013 with those features or somebody told you about them, you'd never even notice that your car didn't have them.
probably somewhere xD The funniest thing was when I went to get my car I knew it didn't have it, and I asked my sales guy where is the CD player? He opens up the center console and just slowly says, "uhhh it doesn't have a CD player" all nervous and kind of confused. I was like dude I'm just messing with you. haha

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my GT comes with a cd player. i did not "order it". I have seen many darts, and every single one of them has had a cd player either in the deck itself (non-8.4) or inside the armrest with 8.4.
yeah I believe it was an option now in 15. Maybe 14 too, but if your dealer ordered it, then I'm sure they all opt in for the CD player just for selling purposes. Like sure I don't use it, but what if a guy came in and found the perfect dart, color options, transmission of choice, etc. and then it did not have a CD player, but that person only uses CDs. lol I know quite a few people like that, so it's not out dated yet. I think mine is the first one without the CD player :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its an option in 2015.

View attachment 44672
Just guessing here but cd's are a 30 year old tech at this point. Maybe they decided if someone wants one bad enough then they can pay for it. I personally do not know anyone that uses cds in a vehicle anymore. With smartphones being able to store and stream music. Plus mp3 players and ipods. Just a thought

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2015GT it didn't come with a CD player but instead has a USB port for an iPod or other MP3 player which is controlled through my 8.4. This setup was exactly what I wanted in a car and had actually installed an aftermarket stereo in my last car for the specific reason of an iPod controller and move away from the CD player. I do believe that the CD player will eventually become only an option on most or even all cars as technology advances. The best part about my GT (in my opinion) is that every electronic aftermarket install that I did on my old car (with the exception of navigation) came preset from my dealership. Needless to say I am more than happy with my dart.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts