Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have an idea what would need to be bought/added to get auto headlights? ive looked around the site and its just people talking about it briefly and no follow ups sadly, the dealer seems to think i would just need to buy the switch without any of the sensors, which im sure isnt the case. ive already added the fog light which wasnt as plug and plug as they made it seem either, pretty sure they are just tired of me wanting to get things done

·
Administrator
5,744 Posts
You would need the switch and the light sensor and it's wiring to the BCM, LIN data bus, or CAN data bus.

•Exterior Lighting Control - The rotary knob on the headlamp switch is rotated to a detent position to activate or deactivate the exterior lighting. The headlamp switch provides the appropriate resistor multiplexed output to the BCM over the headlamp/fog lamp switch signal circuit, and the BCM responds by energizing or de-energizing the right and left park lamp feed circuits and the right and left high or low beam driver circuits through internal HSDs and by sending an electronic confirmation message to the IC over the CAN data bus, which controls the high beam indicator as appropriate. The BCM also remembers which headlamp beams were last selected with the multi-function switch, and energizes those beams by default the next time the headlamps are turned ON. If the vehicle is equipped with optional automatic headlamps and the AUTO (Automatic) position is selected, the BCM monitors an electronic ambient light level message received over the Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus from the Light Rain Sensor Module (LRSM) (also known as the Rain Light Sensor Module/RLSM, the Rain Sensor Module/RSM or the Light Sensor Module/LSM) from that to turn the exterior lighting ON and OFF automatically while the ignition switch status is ON. If vehicle is not equipped with a RLSM,/LSM/RSM but is equipped with auto head lamps, the BCM also monitors for an electronic ambient light level message received over the CAN data bus from the air conditioner - heater control module based upon a hard wired input from the sun sensor .

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2016 se edition that did not come with auto headlights. I fished the sunlight sensor wire out of the dash and replaced the front dash with a new one that has the sun sensor in it and plugged it in. Then I checked the ac controls and it already has the other end of the connection plugged into it. Then I replaced the light switch with one that has auto on it. Then I used alfaobd to enable the twilight sensor and ran a proxy alignment. Does anyone know what else I could be missing to get auto headlights working? Is there something else in alfaobd that needs to be done? Or another sensor I'm missing? I don't have the rain sensor or the smart beam high beam sensor but those shouldn't be required as even the donor car I removed the switch and sensor from didn't have those.

The sun sensor I used:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update: I got the automatic headlights retrofit working. Turns out the ac control module that came with the car with the sensor plugged into the back had no pins soldered in it. So I had to find a junkyard car with automatic headlights to swap out my ac control module with it and now the twilight sensor is recognized and lights are turning on and off automatically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 se edition that did not come with auto headlights. I fished the sunlight sensor wire out of the dash and replaced the front dash with a new one that has the sun sensor in it and plugged it in. Then I checked the ac controls and it already has the other end of the connection plugged into it. Then I replaced the light switch with one that has auto on it. Then I used alfaobd to enable the twilight sensor and ran a proxy alignment. Does anyone know what else I could be missing to get auto headlights working? Is there something else in alfaobd that needs to be done? Or another sensor I'm missing? I don't have the rain sensor or the smart beam high beam sensor but those shouldn't be required as even the donor car I removed the switch and sensor from didn't have those.

The sun sensor I used:
I am also looking to install auto lights in my 2016 dodge dart as well. Did your car already come with the wiring needed for the sensor or did you have to purchase that separate?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am also looking to install auto lights in my 2016 dodge dart as well. Did your car already come with the wiring needed for the sensor or did you have to purchase that separate?
The wiring was already there but the dash side was really hard to find cause it's taped to the underside of the plastic and could barely reach it. You should be able to tell if yours is there by pulling the ac control module out and if that side of the wiring is there like mine then it was already plugged into the ac module and you know you should be able to find the taped wire in the dash through where the center speaker would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The wiring was already there but the dash side was really hard to find cause it's taped to the underside of the plastic and could barely reach it. You should be able to tell if yours is there by pulling the ac control module out and if that side of the wiring is there like mine then it was already plugged into the ac module and you know you should be able to find the taped wire in the dash through where the center speaker would be.
Ok that’s good news. So I’ll get the sensor and the switch for the install. By ac control module you mean the dials in the front below the radio right? Do you know what part you had to swap out in the ac control module to have it work?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok that’s good news. So I’ll get the sensor and the switch for the install. By ac control module you mean the dials in the front below the radio right? Do you know what part you had to swap out in the ac control module to have it work?
Yeah it was the module that has the dials in the front. The entire module had to be changed. Here's the module front and back and the 4 wire sensor cable. It had the port that it was plugged into but there were no pins inside to complete the connection. Here's the part number for the one I got that has the pins if you have to order it but it's probably gonna be cheaper to get it from a local junkyard if you have one available. The sensor is also not just the sensor cause it's built into the front dash plastic even though it looks removable it's all one piece so it's also best if you can get that from the junkyard so you don't have to pay shipping.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Input device Gadget Finger Communication Device Electric blue

Car Vehicle Gear shift Light Automotive design

·
Registered
40 Posts
Or rather I should say that the sensor itself is removable but the surrounding rectangular area that's meant to hold it is not. So if you want it to sit in like the factory then you'll want the whole front dash plastic that's meant to hold the sensor. The module itself removes really easy by just putting a trim removal plastic under it and pulling it out cause it just snaps into place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or rather I should say that the sensor itself is removable but the surrounding rectangular area that's meant to hold it is not. So if you want it to sit in like the factory then you'll want the whole front dash plastic that's meant to hold the sensor. The module itself removes really easy by just putting a trim removal plastic under it and pulling it out cause it just snaps into place.
Excellent thank you! I used that part number and found a matching ac control module, should I need it to complete the connection. So all that’s left is the front dash plastic that holds the sensor in place. If you have a part number for that or if you know what that piece is called that’d be sweet. After this is all installed, I have to proxy align the system? Is that necessary or can I do without that step? Thank you for all this information, it’s been incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you give me a hand?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Excellent thank you! I used that part number and found a matching ac control module, should I need it to complete the connection. So all that’s left is the front dash plastic that holds the sensor in place. If you have a part number for that or if you know what that piece is called that’d be sweet. After this is all installed, I have to proxy align the system? Is that necessary or can I do without that step? Thank you for all this information, it’s been incredibly helpful.
I see this part number from an ebay sale so I'm not sure on accuracy cause when I search these parts I only get the two ebay sales. Maybe @alpinegreenneon can verify part numbers.
140086DX9AC
Also this part number from earlier revision
140086DX9AB
Before you run proxy align you also need to enable the sunlight or twilight sensor in the bcm, I forget exactly what it's called. You also need a new headlight switch that has the auto setting if you haven't sourced that. There are two different ones. One with and one without fog lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I highly suggest going to one of those pick your own parts places for these though cause you can get the plastic dash panel piece for about $15-$20 and the sensor for the same or less. Maybe even a package deal if you leave the sensor attached to the plastic. All for less than what ebay wants for just shipping. When I went to about 15 cars there were about half with this sensor in them so there is a good chance it will have the parts.

·
Administrator
5,744 Posts
I see this part number from an ebay sale so I'm not sure on accuracy cause when I search these parts I only get the two ebay sales. Maybe @alpinegreenneon can verify part numbers.
140086DX9AC
140086DX9AB
1SW01DX9AE is what comes up searching the online parts sites but it's discontinued.

·
Registered
4 Posts
140086DX9AC
140086DX9AB
Before you run proxy align you also need to enable the sunlight or twilight sensor in the bcm, I forget exactly what it's called. You also need a new headlight switch that has the auto setting if you haven't sourced that. There are two different ones. One with and one without fog lights.
Activate the sensor in the BCM? Like add a fuse in the location that it would normally sit or do you mean something else. BCM is the body control module I think.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts