Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My active grill shutter broke and I fixed it. Now a year later the car place tells me that the piece in the center that moves up and down malfunctioned and I have to replace it again. The shutter itself is pretty useless and I can't use my automatic start with the center piece acting up and showing the engine light. Can I remove it or is there a way to make it not show the error all the time. I live where it's always cold and I'm not spending another 600 dollars if it's just going to keep breaking but I also hate being cold in the morning. This makes me never want to buy a dodge again. That is how frustrating it is.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
As far as I know, it is not possible to get rid of the AGS. There is a way to test it with alfaOBD but there is no disable. It is very easy to damage because the Dart sits so low and when you pull too far over a parking curb, you can scrape the connector or damage the motor.
It is something you can replace yourself to avoid the labor cost. Motor City Mechanic has a very good video on you tube on how to remove the front Dart bumper cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
My active grill shutter broke and I fixed it. Now a year later the car place tells me that the piece in the center that moves up and down malfunctioned and I have to replace it again. The shutter itself is pretty useless and I can't use my automatic start with the center piece acting up and showing the engine light. Can I remove it or is there a way to make it not show the error all the time. I live where it's always cold and I'm not spending another 600 dollars if it's just going to keep breaking but I also hate being cold in the morning. This makes me never want to buy a dodge again. That is how frustrating it is.
I am not sure if this fix still works or if it's only on earlier models but check this thread out and it's worth a shot. https://www.dodge-dart.org/threads/ags-removal-no-fins-no-cel.24327/

I agree that this issue should not throw a CEL with how minor and honestly unnecessary the AGS is. I am not sure of any other manufactures that use it, but I understand they do it for "emissions" purposes and that is the reason for the CEL. I think that is silly, but to hate the brand just because something needs fixed is a stretch. If it broke once, and now again, then something else is wrong. Many people have driven over 100k with the same AGS, so either your new part was a dud and I would blame your source, or your driving in a location that kicks up a lot of road debris that can get in there and break the fins. I also think maybe it's not the shutters, but the connector? I looked online and saw the shutters ($300) but it did not come with the sensor. Maybe it does but it was not shown. Either way the above link shows the cheat for that.

Another thing to mention is you don't need all 6 fins or however many. If one broke, another cheat is you only need six. There are certain ones that you actually need and you can remove the others. It's possible you might be able to go that route and fix it without paying anything.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts