Dodge Dart Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
The shutters close to provide better aerodynamics for fuel economy purposes. The downside is that when they are closed, they block the intercooler from receiving cool air. This means that warm air is being forced in to the engine as opposed to cold air which compresses better (air molecules and all that).

Now, unless your running WOT all of the time, I doubt you'll notice any difference really. And even if you are running WOT, the shutters should theoretically be open unless there's some sort of malfunction
I removed 6 of mine today. Started the car and the remaining ones opened and closed. I drove to work where i normally get 31 mpg stop and go. I got 35 today with less turbo surge and the car will do pulls all day long

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Exactly, I'll still be enjoying my car's cooler temps, with my 45+ MPG average and my rock steady 172 degree engine temps ;)
Just wondering, this would be more than beneficial with us running the 2.0? I have the AGS system and as we all know it gets hotter than hell under the hood...

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Just wondering, this would be more than beneficial with us running the 2.0? I have the AGS system and as we all know it gets hotter than hell under the hood...
Performance wise? Probably will not help. It would probably make the engine run a little cooler, that would be it though.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Performance wise? Probably will not help. It would probably make the engine run a little cooler, that would be it though.
Not really looking performance wise, cooler wise, yes... I can tell a noticeable difference in how the Dart reacts in the commute in the cool mornings vs the hot afternoon/evening commute. Any little bit helps with temp control.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Not really looking performance wise, cooler wise, yes... I can tell a noticeable difference in how the Dart reacts in the commute in the cool mornings vs the hot afternoon/evening commute. Any little bit helps with temp control.
You'd get a much cooler under hood temp from a hood scoop.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
You'd get a much cooler under hood temp from a hood scoop.
Yeah, I figured that. In currently checking out some heat extracting vents for the hood and some ideas.

Guess I might not mess with the AGS after all. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK, guys. The AGS system is a marketing gimmick and a tool for auto companies to get MPG credits. I have removed the middle four shutters and everything if fine, including my MPGs. Absolutely ZERO effect on fuel efficiency. I do like keeping the upper anc lower shutters in because they help to focus the airflow directly into the intercooler, which is ideal. At least when they close, they do shrink the size of the air dam so you still get some aerodynamic benefit from the system. But, in the big picture, it is marketing voodoo. The car already has a great aerodynamic shape. Think of all the other cars that have NO AGS and are getting great gas mileage. A more real benefit to your fuel effficiency is to lighten this heavy car. I removed the spare tire, which weighs about 50 lbs. I have roadside service, and Fix-A-Flat. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just took the 4 middle ones out as well with no CEL. Was fairly easy...it did take me a bit longer though because I'm not very good with cars and I didn't want to break anything lol.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
OK, guys. The AGS system is a marketing gimmick and a tool for auto companies to get MPG credits. I have removed the middle four shutters and everything if fine, including my MPGs. Absolutely ZERO effect on fuel efficiency. I do like keeping the upper anc lower shutters in because they help to focus the airflow directly into the intercooler, which is ideal. At least when they close, they do shrink the size of the air dam so you still get some aerodynamic benefit from the system. But, in the big picture, it is marketing voodoo. The car already has a great aerodynamic shape. Think of all the other cars that have NO AGS and are getting great gas mileage. A more real benefit to your fuel effficiency is to lighten this heavy car. I removed the spare tire, which weighs about 50 lbs. I have roadside service, and Fix-A-Flat. LOL
I would like to see more discussion on the good vs. bad of the shutters. Done just for marketing?
The size and weight of the Dart have been talked about a lot. I like the size and handling. The throttle lag, errrrr

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I would like to see more discussion on the good vs. bad of the shutters. Done just for marketing? The size and weight of the Dart have been talked about a lot. I like the size and handling. The throttle lag, errrrr
Check out the first page of my build thread as I have all the links of my experiments and a little explanation of the AGS assembly marketing/reasoning.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I removed the middle 4 slats a couple of weeks ago when I was dry fitting the FMIC and getting measurements for my couplers. I've actually seen a good increase in MPG's since then and actually my last tank was the first time in over a year that I saw 40+.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
So which ones can I remove without something going wrong?
For maximum AGS delete efficiency -

------ XXXX
XXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX
XXXX ------

OR

XXXX ------
XXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX
------ XXXX

For moderate efficiency -

------ ------
XXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX
------ ------

------ = AGS Fin
XXXX = AGS Removed

Also, you can check out the first page of my build thread which will show you how each have an effect/affect on the engine bay.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Once it cools down some more and I have time off, I'll be installing my 3D printed AGS simulator piece that will allow me to remove the AGS assembly altogether, leaving just the motor hooked up to the car.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
yep, that is it.
This. My part required a bit of sanding to make the two fit together as the tolerances were a little too tight, but not a big deal, really. I haven't test fitted it yet to the AGS motor because I have to remove the entire front bumper to get to it (I have a big FMIC sitting right in front the assembly).

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
This. My part required a bit of sanding to make the two fit together as the tolerances were a little too tight, but not a big deal, really. I haven't test fitted it yet to the AGS motor because I have to remove the entire front bumper to get to it (I have a big FMIC sitting right in front the assembly).
Did you buy it in plastic or resin? Raw or polished?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts