Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The active shutter stopped working. Now the engine check light is on and the radiator fan runs fast constantly. Don't you have the same issue with the radiator fan?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Has anyone determined whether the grill shutters open under WOT conditions yet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about a way to wire a toggle switch to be able to open them on the fly when switched and switch them back to normal operation when not needed. I would be more interested in this mod.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As it's been covered in this thread, definitely don't remove the shutters from the unit. The unit will sense no movement on whatever shutter you remove and throw a CEL which will cause your radiator fan to run constantly

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
As it's been covered in this thread, definitely don't remove the shutters from the unit. The unit will sense no movement on whatever shutter you remove and throw a CEL which will cause your radiator fan to run constantly
Not true. The AGS motor has no way of knowing if any one individual shutter has been removed. It has one tab on the motor that connects to a plastic bracket that controls the movement of the entire assembly. As long as the motor doesn't overextend when opening or closing, there will be no code thrown. The range of how far the motor arm can move is controlled by the shutters themselves as they have a tab on the end of them that contacts with the AGS frame and keeps them from opening or closing any further. As long as you have at least one shutter installed, controlling that movement, no code will be thrown. I've never been able to make the system function properly with just one shutter though, there needs to be at least one shutter on each side of the assembly so that the bracket system stays in place.

You could also theoretically fabricate some kind of bump stop for the motor arm to where that arm hits the fabricated bracket in the exact same location as where the motor would normally stop with the shutters in place and never throw a code.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just went thru this with my dealer. I had one out of the eight grill shutters broken and the car threw a CEL for AGS. They replaced the whole unit

Don't see how what you're saying debunks the notion that the computer will know if one or more shutters isn't working

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I just went thru this with my dealer. I had one out of the eight grill shutters broken and the car threw a CEL for AGS. They replaced the whole unit

Don't see how what you're saying debunks the notion that the computer will know if one or more shutters isn't working
You're just off base in every thread this morning, pal. You were getting an AGS code most likely because the broken shutter was causing the assembly to bind up, if the AGS motor has an obstruction in the way of it's preprogrammed movement, it will set a code and make the car run the fans to protect itself from overheating from a lack of air flow to the radiator. If you've ever had the bumper off and studied the AGS assembly (and you haven't, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to argue this with me) you'd understand how it works and that there's no possible way for the AGS assembly to know that a shutter is missing, unless said shutter is causing the assembly to bind up, like what happened in your case.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can 100% confirm the AGS is only connected to the eight shutters in one spot. I have 4 of my 8 removed right now, and they have been for 8 months, and have not thrown a single AGS-related CEL.

It relies on the shutters to act as a bump stop so the motor doesn't over extend itself opening. If it gets bumped before its pre-determined length of opening, it will throw a CEL code for being stuck closed. If it over-extends, it'll also throw one for improper operation. This is why we always leave a couple in. And yes, even removing just 4 of them, makes a huge difference in IAT's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I guess here's the moral of this story:

If you mess with your AGS, whether it's removing a shutter or all of them, there's a very very good chance you will throw a CEL. If you're a super technical person like mr starscream here and think you can carefully remove certain shutters without messing up the whole system, have fun. From my experience, having had the front bumper off the car and messed with the AGS, I wouldn't mess with it again. Why risk overworking your radiator fan, which in turn will overwork your alternator to power it, which in turn will make your engine work harder and throw a code in the process for something that's going to have literally 0 performance impact?

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
So I guess here's the moral of this story:

If you mess with your AGS, whether it's removing a shutter or all of them, there's a very very good chance you will throw a CEL. If you're a super technical person like mr starscream here and think you can carefully remove certain shutters without messing up the whole system, have fun. From my experience, having had the front bumper off the car and messed with the AGS, I wouldn't mess with it again. Why risk overworking your radiator fan, which in turn will overwork your alternator to power it, which in turn will make your engine work harder and throw a code in the process for something that's going to have literally 0 performance impact?
I guess you can enjoy your 50+ degree over ambient IATs then while the rest of enjoy much cooler temps with zero issues ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess you can enjoy your 50+ degree over ambient IATs then while the rest of enjoy much cooler temps with zero issues ;)
LOL. Actually I'll enjoy my car not having a CEL light on and running the radiator all day. You do realize the car is able to control the AGS when it needs to cool the engine, right?

I'll also enjoy the MPGs gained from having the system engaged when no additional cooling is necessary..but I guess you guys are smarter than the Dodge engineers that put the system there in the first place ;)

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Well then, we have proved what we needed to prove, my work here is done.
Exactly, I'll still be enjoying my car's cooler temps, with my 45+ MPG average and my rock steady 172 degree engine temps ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I pulled out the middle four and everything is running great with no CEL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Has anyone determined whether the grill shutters open under WOT conditions yet?

Dynoing it may prove this possibly as long as it is speed related (wheels) and not air flow related somehow if you can see them close/open while running. May be able to also find out at what speed they close as well. My definition of highway speed is different from someone elses i am sure. (unless this has already been discovered and i missed it somewhere).

Having a few of these shutters out will also help in the prevention of detonation i would think too.

Be interesting to see though when they close, if they open on WOT when closed, etc...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Interesting tid bit of info; The wife drove through a drift across the road back in Feb? (I think) blew all of the grill shutters out and messed up the bumper cover. What's strange is there ws no CEL and ALL of the shutters were removed. That is, until last week! So she's been driving for 3 months with no CEL and then all of a sudden her CEL comes on the other day and I figured it would be this and sure enough.......

So, the good news is I will get to take a Real good look at the grill set-up when I repair the car in the next few weeks. From what you guys are describing, I can't see it being that difficult to make a "dummy" stop to replicate what the shutter is doing so that all can be removed while keeping the ECU happy.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts