Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that are interested, you can just remove the shutters themselves. Very easy to do and you can select which shutters to remove, or all of them like I did.

It takes about 5 min or so. AGS system still works. No CEL. Just the actual shutter blades are not there. Nothing is damaged and you can reinstall anytime. You can literally snap them out and in.

Remove the plastic cover over the radiator. Reach down to the AGS assembly. There is a plastic piece (actuator) in the middle that moves up and down to open / close the shutters. The back of this pulls off. Then if you apply some pressure at the centre beside each blade you can release it from the assembly. There are 8 blades in all, 4 on each side. Just be gentle and nothing will break and it is all reversible.

I obviously value performance more than a slight increase in fuel economy on the highway. I also drive short trips and mostly city driving.

Edited to add:

It seems most Dart's throw a CEL if you remove the blades. I have not experienced this yet but I'm going to keep an eye out for the next couple of days and see if it happens. I'll update again.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I haven't done too much research on this... but what is the gain from removing them?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't done too much research on this... but what is the gain from removing them?
The shutters close to provide better aerodynamics for fuel economy purposes. The downside is that when they are closed, they block the intercooler from receiving cool air. This means that warm air is being forced in to the engine as opposed to cold air which compresses better (air molecules and all that).

Now, unless your running WOT all of the time, I doubt you'll notice any difference really. And even if you are running WOT, the shutters should theoretically be open unless there's some sort of malfunction

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I see you've just been copying and pasting this same post over and over.

Everyone but yourself has reported getting a CEL when removing all of the shutters, so what's your secret to keeping that from happening?? ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm really? I wonder why / how. I mean the car doesn't even know that the actual shutters are not installed, unless there is some type of air sensor back there that would detect air when the shutters should be closed and throw a CEL.

I haven't seen any other posts on people who have removed them and gotten a code. I'll have to do a search. I didn't do anything special. Just removed the blades themselves.

Edit to add: Starscream I just read your response in the other thread about resistance. That makes sense. Hmm... I'll see how it goes as far as the CEL is concerned. I've driven more than 2 key cycles and nothing yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright so no CEL I've driven the car a number of times with the shutters removed.

But... I have noticed a behaviour that wasn't present before removing them.

The car will run the rad fan a lot more. If I go for a drive and return, the fan is blowing. Even in cool temps at night or early morning. I wonder if the PCM thinks that the grills are stuck shut and taking precautionary measures?

Anyway, I've reinstalled the blades for now. Behaviour is gone again.

Sorry for the premature posting on this mod.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
The radiator fans running full time is a dead giveaway that the computer knows something's up with the AGS. That was the symptom I'd always get right before the light came on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I removed mine then put them back in, what is happening is that when the shutters close the actual shutters stop the motor arm from going to far, without the shutters to stop this the arm go's past the close position and makes the fan go on fast because it is thinking the shutters are stuck in the closed position,

·
Registered
87 Posts
I removed the middle four shutters, no cel, and the fan runs normally. the top and bottom four are still in place. The performance is little changed, and gas mileage basically the same too. Broke one getting it out, so hopefully they do not all have to go back in. Since they are separate pieces from side to side, anyone ever thought of taking top left, then second right, then third left, then fourth right out? If it is staggered, the bracket and ags motor would still think they are all there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the middle four last night to try this out. Rad fan didn't come on so looks promising. 4/8 is better than 0/8 out. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I removed mine then put them back in, what is happening is that when the shutters close the actual shutters stop the motor arm from going to far, without the shutters to stop this the arm go's past the close position and makes the fan go on fast because it is thinking the shutters are stuck in the closed position,
You may be on to something here...

What if you took some kind of small rod, fastened it to the bottom of the AGS assembly, and positioned it so that it would be right in the way of the AGS motor arm? Make it just tall enough that the motor arm hits it right at the same position it would normally stop at with the shutters in place?

I think this may work... I just need to find something laying around in the garage that I can use for this project...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I removed the middle four shutters, no cel, and the fan runs normally. the top and bottom four are still in place. The performance is little changed, and gas mileage basically the same too. Broke one getting it out, so hopefully they do not all have to go back in. Since they are separate pieces from side to side, anyone ever thought of taking top left, then second right, then third left, then fourth right out? If it is staggered, the bracket and ags motor would still think they are all there.
ok so which middle four to remove

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also removed the four middle ones and have no problems as of yet.

I believe theres 8 on each side if I remember correctly

8 grills:
+ +
+ +
+ +
+ +

Remove 4:
+ +
- -
- -
+ +

Reactions: aarmel732

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ok I'm gonna do it when I get home after class. Spent most of my day trying to change a fuel pump and still can't get the damn thing out lol

1 - 20 of 64 Posts