Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been reading many different discussions about the no air coming out of vents, and not sure which ones are directly related to my issue.
So at the risk of repeating someone else's question...I'm apologizing ahead of time.
For the past 6 months, when I turned knob to get heater to work, it would randomly not work at all. Sometimes it would be working (blowing out air) and then I'd get out of car, go to work, and when I'd get back in it it wouldn't work. Or it wouldn't work & all of a sudden start working as I was driving down the road. So the last two days, the a/c has been working, and today, I turn it on, and I have to turn it all the way to almost max and it kicks on for a second and then nothing, or it kicks on and trickles air out vent then stops. Heat air same problem. Could it be either of the fuses or the Relay Fuse? How can I test to see if the relay Fuse is bad? Is there another relay located in the fuse box under the hood that can be used to see if that is the problem? Or is it the fan under the dash area clogged? or Needs completely replaced? I'm trying to do process of elimination (lowest-highest cost wise). Thanks for all your help!!

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Intermittent electrical problems are almost always the wiring or a connector.

Reactions: 14SXT2.4L

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
You can test the motor using jumper wires to the battery. If it runs, it's not the motor.

Reactions: 14SXT2.4L

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like the switch your turning has a bad internal connection. This recommendation will sound a little hokey but try hitting the switch with the handle of a screwdriver to see what happens. If the system truns on, or off, then the switch is the issue for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually have tried hitting the switch before and it didn't do anything. I have actually had it turned on and nothing coming out of the vents and all of a sudden it will start working.

So I turn it on and I hear it come on but nothing is coming out of the vents. I turn it all the way up to max and you can barely hear the fan, and air is coming out the vent but my face has to be right in front of it to feel it come out. (don't know if that makes sense.)
You can test the motor using jumper wires to the battery. If it runs, it's not the motor.
I apologize, but testing the motor using jumper wires to battery does not explain "how" to do anything. I'm on my own here trying the best I can to fix something. The only way I can do that is by asking questions and hoping to get help by explaining how to fix it. In order to test the motor I will probably need to get to the motor--remove the motor-.....

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Have you ever replaced the cabin filter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you ever replaced the cabin filter?
No I have not. However I have an even bigger issue as of today. I was driving and all of a sudden my car lost complete power and stopped running as I was going up over mountain. Now it didn’t overheat had coolant had full tank of gas and brand new fully charged battery. As it shut down low oil pressure flashed on dash. I pulled car over sat for a few finally opened hood put a quart of oil in it let it sit for a min. Go to start it…cranks but won’t turn over and when I turn key to start up and it doesn’t and key goes back to run it continues to try and start so I have to turn key all the way off. It sat for over hour still never started had to get it towed.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
The oil light will go because the engine is not turning but the key was in the ON position. You should use the dipstick to check oil level. Too much oil is not good.
How many miles on your Dart? You posted in the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir Turbo forum. If you have a 1.4 and have over 100,000 miles, your timing belt may have snapped and bent your valves.

·
Registered
848 Posts
So, I've been reading many different discussions about the no air coming out of vents, and not sure which ones are directly related to my issue.
So at the risk of repeating someone else's question...I'm apologizing ahead of time.
For the past 6 months, when I turned knob to get heater to work, it would randomly not work at all. Sometimes it would be working (blowing out air) and then I'd get out of car, go to work, and when I'd get back in it it wouldn't work. Or it wouldn't work & all of a sudden start working as I was driving down the road. So the last two days, the a/c has been working, and today, I turn it on, and I have to turn it all the way to almost max and it kicks on for a second and then nothing, or it kicks on and trickles air out vent then stops. Heat air same problem. Could it be either of the fuses or the Relay Fuse? How can I test to see if the relay Fuse is bad? Is there another relay located in the fuse box under the hood that can be used to see if that is the problem? Or is it the fan under the dash area clogged? or Needs completely replaced? I'm trying to do process of elimination (lowest-highest cost wise). Thanks for all your help!!
I had the issue of the intermittent working blower motor. When it wouldn't work I would reach up under the dash and smack the blower motor and it would kick on. I ended up changing it with a aftermarket one that failed after 2 weeks (whole motor locked up wouldn't turn). If it fails again I will just go spend the money on the MOPAR one.

There is a video on Youtube By South Main Auto which shows how they tested the blower motor. Just search or South Main Auto Dodge Dart.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Informational only. I have the 2.4L 2014 Dart. Long story short I cannot wait to get rid of it. It's literally been having many electrical issues and falling apart for the last two years plus due to bad engineering. I have accumulated 150K miles. The motor and transmission seem to be okay, knock on wood. About 2 years ago it would not start and I had to get it towed. A local big time local popular mechanic could not figure it out so I towed it to the dealership and they found a loose electrical connection somewhere between the starter and the firewall and the ignition. They never told me where but they did have to pull out part of the dash. A simple male to female connection they said but who knows for sure. Fast forward about a year or two, blower motor does not work. I replace the blower motor resistor on the advice of YouTube videos, I replace the blower motor on the advice of YouTube videos, I replaced the blower motor relay on the advice of a mechanic and YouTube videos, all over a period of like 6 weeks. Also replaced due to the codes that it suggested was the issue. Still the blower motor worked intermittently. I'm an electrician from way back but cars are a little bit different in my opinion. I I found that going over bumps, slamming my door, slamming my hood, tapping on the blower motor relay, all at different times would get the blower motor to start blowing air. So here I am driving down the road yesterday in 90° weather and the blower motor stops then starts making a barely noticeable sound like it's turning very slowly, sort of like the bearings are gone. But not very loud. I bought this particular blower motor for like 50 or $60 from RockAuto.com this past February 2021. I ordered another blower motor from O'Reilly's just an hour or two ago and it will be here tomorrow. That doesn't eliminate the loose connection somewhere. That's the headache I've been through since the beginning of the year and with it so damn hot here in South Carolina, I'm going to unload this car and just simply go out and buy a new car. You're welcome to respond and if I find anything else out I'll post it here. Good luck to you but a Dart is the worst car I've ever owned in my 62 years. Scotty Kilmer has a YouTube channel that's helpful and so do others that can be helpful with car issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the issue of the intermittent working blower motor. When it wouldn't work I would reach up under the dash and smack the blower motor and it would kick on. I ended up changing it with a aftermarket one that failed after 2 weeks (whole motor locked up wouldn't turn). If it fails again I will just go spend the money on the MOPAR one.

There is a video on Youtube By South Main Auto which shows how they tested the blower motor. Just search or South Main Auto Dodge Dart.
Thank you very much!! Unfortunately that is now the least of my concerns. Two weeks ago as I was driving up hill a car was trying to pass me, so I let up on the gas pedal. After he passed me, I pushed back down on gas pedal started to go and then all of a sudden...nothing. Car stopped running. I pulled over, turned key to off, and tried to start it...full power lights/radio but it won't crank...like its not getting any fuel. Ended up having it towed...where shop said it jumped timing but couldn't look at it for a month...towed it over 100 miles back to home town repair shop, where they couldn't look at it because they don't have the tools needed to see if that is what happened. Towed it to dealership and no, belt is good, so it didn't jump timing, but they still don't know why it won't turn over. Does this sound like fuel pump? or anything else it possibly could be? It was running great up until that point. I've been with out a vehicle going on 3 weeks now. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The oil light will go because the engine is not turning but the key was in the ON position. You should use the dipstick to check oil level. Too much oil is not good.
How many miles on your Dart? You posted in the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir Turbo forum. If you have a 1.4 and have over 100,000 miles, your timing belt may have snapped and bent your valves.
It is not the timing belt at all and my car doesn't have over 100,000 miles on it. I ended up having to take it to the dealership and they checked the belt first thing. It didn't jump timing like I was told. Yet it still will not crank over, it acts like its out of gas. Or it acts like fuel pump has gone out...which was what my dad thought it sounded like? Anything you can think of will help...I'm trying not to spend any more than I already have dealer just to figure it out...Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
When you say it doesn't crank, do you mean the starter motor turns but it doesn't run? Or do you mean the starter motor does not even turn?
The motor turning but not running could be the fuel pump. You can put a teaspoon of gas down the throttle body and see if it tries to run. If that gets a response from the engine, replace the fuel pump. To get access to the fuel pump, remove the rear seat cushion and access plate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts