Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4L.
Within a week this has happened 2 times. After the car has been turned off I have gotten in and the air conditioner wont come on. I will push the buttons, turn the dial to high and nothing. I will push the buttons on and off.... still nothing. Then later in the day it was about 100 degrees, windows down on the highway but couldnt take it anymore... pushed the button again and it came on full blast blowing cold. So, relieving... but less than a week later.... I turned off the car.. was gone about 10 min.. came back and no air conditioning again. Then... by the end of the day it came on and blew strong and cold again. What's going on?

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
So, I have a 2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4L.
Within a week this has happened 2 times. After the car has been turned off I have gotten in and the air conditioner wont come on. I will push the buttons, turn the dial to high and nothing. I will push the buttons on and off.... still nothing. Then later in the day it was about 100 degrees, windows down on the highway but couldnt take it anymore... pushed the button again and it came on full blast blowing cold. So, relieving... but less than a week later.... I turned off the car.. was gone about 10 min.. came back and no air conditioning again. Then... by the end of the day it came on and blew strong and cold again. What's going on?
When you say "nothing" do you mean that the fan doesn't come on at all, or that it does not blow cold air?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been there - was not fun. I finally just replaced the blower motor. Wasn't difficult (3 screws and 20 minutes) though it was taxing just due to its location (under dash on passenger side). Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi to who asked...."When you say "nothing" do you mean that the fan doesn't come on at all, or that it does not blow cold air?"

It stops blowing totally. No air at all. Then it will come back on at will.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got the blower working in my 2015 gt but it isn't cold.
pushing the recirculate button which is supposed to activate the maximum cool loop does nothing.

its 100 degrees here and my three year old car doesn't have working a/c.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That does seem like an odd issue, definitely not right.

I've not experienced the blower not working at all, but it's normal if you have the AC on and it's working normal, then the car will shut the compressor off if you floor it. It's quite annoying, and shows that the engine is just under powered to handle the bulk of the car (2.4L) They have to program it to cut the compressor when you request a lot of power.

I do have the issue of it blowing out full cold ac even if the ac is turned off, and the humidity sensor is unplugged. Doesn't always do this, just sometimes.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / ACTUATOR, Blend Door / Description

DESCRIPTION

The blend door actuator (2) used in the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) heating and A/C system, is a reversible, 12 volt Direct Current (DC) servo motor, that is mechanically connected to the two blend-air doors. There is a blend door actuator located on both sides of the HVAC housing.

dartHVACblendactuator1.jpg

The blend door actuator is contained within a black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (1). An output shaft with gears (4) connect it to the blend door linkage and integral mounting tabs (3) allow the actuator to be secured to the HVAC housing. The blend door actuator requires mechanical indexing to the blend door linkage and is electronically calibrated by the A/C heater control.

The A/C heater control must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor is replaced (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .

24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / ACTUATOR, Blend Door / Operation

OPERATION

The blend door actuator is connected to the HVAC module by a dedicated five-wire lead and connector of the HVAC wire harness. The blend door actuator can move the blend-air doors in two directions. When the HVAC module pulls the voltage on one side of the motor connection high and the other connection low, the blend door actuator will move in one direction. When the HVAC module reverses the polarity of the voltage to the motor, the blend door actuator moves in the opposite direction. Once the HVAC module makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the blend door actuator stops and will not move.

The blend door actuator contains a potentiometer, which the HVAC module uses to monitor the relative position of the blend-air doors. The HVAC module learns the blend-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the blend door actuator circuits (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Diagnosis and Testing) .

The blend door actuator cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if inoperative or damaged.

24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / ACTUATOR, Blend Door / Removal

REMOVAL

WARNING:
Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE:
The Dual Zone heating and A/C system has two blend door actuators, one for the driver side and one for the passenger side.

LEFT SIDE

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Remove the left side instrument panel silencer (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer - Removal) .

3.Remove the left side center console closeout (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor/Removal) .

4.Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the blend door actuator (2).

dartHVACblendactuator2.jpg

5.Remove the two screws (4) that secure the blend door actuator to the left side of the HVAC housing (1).

6.Remove the blend door actuator from the HVAC housing.

RIGHT SIDE

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Remove the right side instrument panel silencer (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer - Removal) .

3.Remove the right side center console closeout (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor/Removal) .

4.Remove the two screws (2) that secure the blend door actuator (4) to the right side of the HVAC housing (3).

dartHVACblendactuator3.jpg

5.Disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector (1) form the blend door actuator.

6.Remove the blend door actuator from the air distribution housing.

24 - Heating and Air Conditioning / Controls / ACTUATOR, Blend Door / Installation

INSTALLATION

NOTE:
The Dual Zone heating and A/C system has two blend door actuators, one for the driver side and one for the passenger side.

LEFT SIDE

1.Install the blend door actuator (2) onto the left side of the HVAC housing (1). If necessary, rotate the actuator slightly to align the teeth on the actuator output shaft with those on the blend door cam.

dartHVACblendactuator2.jpg

2.Install the two screws (4) that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.).

3.Connect the HVAC wire harness connector (3) to the blend door actuator.

4.Install the left side center console closeout (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor/Installation) .

5.Install the left side instrument panel silencer (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer - Installation) .

6.Reconnect the negative battery cable.

7.Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a scan tool (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .

RIGHT SIDE

1.Install the blend door actuator (4) onto the right side of the HVAC housing (3). If necessary, rotate the actuator slightly to align the teeth on the actuator output shaft with those on the blend door cam.Install the two screws (2) that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing. Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.).

dartHVACblendactuator3.jpg

2.Connect the HVAC wire harness connector (1) to the blend door actuator.

3.Install the center console closeout (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor/Installation) .

4.Install the right side instrument panel silencer (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer - Installation) .

5.Reconnect the negative battery cable.

6.Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a scan tool (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Whoever designed the glovebox gear mech in these cars should die a painful death!

What a nightmare getting all that unnecessary crap to line up and go back together!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts