Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new here and was wondering if anyone was having the same problem I am with there Dart. I purchased a Laguna blue 2.0 Dart back in October. have about 3000 miles on it. I am having a reacurring problem with the 8.4 display. Out of the blue it will stick on and not power down and I lose all volume on the radio when this happens. I have had it to the dealer four times for this. They have seen first hand the problem when I bring it in. After the third visit they ordered me a new radio. They had the car for two days for the install. They said the whole dashboard bezel and glovebox needed to be removed for this. I saw this myself as they let me in the service area to see the procedure. Well when I picked up vehicle the next day the same problem occured again. They now have my Dart back at the dealer. Frankly at this point they are blowing spit bubbles about this and don't have a clue. They said they are now waiting to hear back from Chrysler. They did provide me a loaner this time as I did buy extended warranty. The only way to get display to reset is pulling negative battery cable but, problem keeps coming back. Any thoughts? I needed to vent.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Frankly, I think that they are grasping at the wrong straws. The radio does not tell the touch screen to turn off, the volume control on ac\heat controller tells the computer to turn off the radio and the touch screen by way of the can-bus connection from the touch screen. In fact there are no wires that go from the touch screen to the radio other than the video cable.

The touch screen has two wires that connect to the can-bus,( the can-bus is the connection between the bcm to the module, in this case, the touch screen) a power and ground wire, and a wire that connects to the hazard lights. There is also a 40 wire connector that runs from the ac\heat controller, (which also contains the volume control) to the touch screen. There are not any wires that connect from the ac\heat controls to the radio neither. It is all controlled thru the computer. I would be more suspicious of the volume control on the ac\heat control or the wires in the connection between the touch screen and the ac\heat controls than I would be the radio.

When you say that you "lose all volume" do you mean that the sound goes mute, or do you mean that you can't change the volume?

If it shows on the touch screen that the volume level is changing, but nothing happens, then I would suspect that there is a software problem in either the touch screen, or the bcm.

If it does not show the volume level changing, then I would suspect the volume control,or wires.

That's my guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this response. I will show it to my dealer. When I say I lose volume ot shows on the display that the volume is going up and down but there is nothing happening through the speakers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they went ahead and put in another new radio. The second one. So far so good. They said that Chrysler engineering told them there were problems with the previous radio and they installed a new model. Don't know if it was just dealer bull or not but like I said so far so good.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good luck, keep us informed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new here and was wondering if anyone was having the same problem I am with there Dart. I purchased a Laguna blue 2.0 Dart back in October. have about 3000 miles on it. I am having a reacurring problem with the 8.4 display. Out of the blue it will stick on and not power down and I lose all volume on the radio when this happens. I have had it to the dealer four times for this. They have seen first hand the problem when I bring it in. After the third visit they ordered me a new radio. They had the car for two days for the install. They said the whole dashboard bezel and glovebox needed to be removed for this. I saw this myself as they let me in the service area to see the procedure. Well when I picked up vehicle the next day the same problem occured again. They now have my Dart back at the dealer. Frankly at this point they are blowing spit bubbles about this and don't have a clue. They said they are now waiting to hear back from Chrysler. They did provide me a loaner this time as I did buy extended warranty. The only way to get display to reset is pulling negative battery cable but, problem keeps coming back. Any thoughts? I needed to vent.
I am having the same problem with my 2013 Dart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts