Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my car out to Colorado a few months ago. On a couple mornings when i first started it up the clutch pedal would travel freely about two thirds of the way and then engage towards the very end. When releasing the clutch, it would stay two thirds of the way in until i physically pulled it out with my foot and it would snap back. After it warmed up it would drive normally. I drove it up to Pike's peak one day and we stopped for about a half hour or so. When I started it up and attempted to put it in gear, the clutch wouldn't engage at all. After about half an hour I finally got it into gear and it worked the rest of the way down. I took it into a nearby dodge dealer but by that time the clutch was working normally again and they couldn't find anything wrong. Ever since then the clutch hasn't been quite right when I first start off in the mornings.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues with theirs

·
Registered
268 Posts
I drove my car out to Colorado a few months ago. On a couple mornings when i first started it up the clutch pedal would travel freely about two thirds of the way and then engage towards the very end. When releasing the clutch, it would stay two thirds of the way in until i physically pulled it out with my foot and it would snap back. After it warmed up it would drive normally. I drove it up to Pike's peak one day and we stopped for about a half hour or so. When I started it up and attempted to put it in gear, the clutch wouldn't engage at all. After about half an hour I finally got it into gear and it worked the rest of the way down. I took it into a nearby dodge dealer but by that time the clutch was working normally again and they couldn't find anything wrong. Ever since then the clutch hasn't been quite right when I first start off in the mornings.

I saw a problem like this on the forums.I forget where.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Unfortunately I've got nothing new to add, BUT... have you taken it to the Dealer to show the differece in the mornings? Take it up there the night before have a tech/service manager drive it to feel the clutch, leave it overnight (so it's cold in the morning) and have them drive it again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I've got nothing new to add, BUT... have you taken it to the Dealer to show the differece in the mornings? Take it up there the night before have a tech/service manager drive it to feel the clutch, leave it overnight (so it's cold in the morning) and have them drive it again?
I might have to try that. I bought the car in Missouri, but I live in Kansas now and haven't taken it to my local dealer out hereyet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I might have to try that. I bought the car in Missouri, but I live in Kansas now and haven't taken it to my local dealer out hereyet.
You should be able to work with the dealer on it if they have a good service manager. If not try and find another dealer that does; a good dealer makes the whole experience that much better. the Dealer I used for my Dakota was horrible, my new dealer that I'm using for my dart is AMAZING!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem. Its in the garage now for the 4th time in 2 months! They just keep telling me they cant get it to duplicate the problem so its not fixed. An engineer from dodge told the dealer to replace the clutch pedal assembly but that didnt work either. Please let me know if they figure something out on yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just heard from the service dept. at Ramey's of Tazewell, VA and finally they feel what ive been feeling with the clutch after bleeding the system. They are talking with Chrysler bout changing out the slave cylinder or master cylinder or possibly both. I will keep this up to date as I get more info about what they plan to do.

·
Registered
135 Posts

IIRC from the GTI forums, someone was having a similar issue; that's usually indicative of a slave cylinder going out or air in the lines. Definitely both should still be under warranty, slave cylinder and lines aren't wear and tear items.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I talked to the service dpt thats working on mine and they are replacing the master cylinder as soon as it comes in. I hope it fixes it but im leaning more towards the slave cylinder but will post again when its done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
clutch problems

I've had the same problem and they replaced the slave cylinder for the clutch , worked fine for awhile doing it again but never when its at the dealership so can't get it fixed. They said they looked it up and they have been having problems with the slave cylinders

·
Registered
15 Posts
well i just picked up my dart after having the master cylinder replaced and so far so good. i only drove it about 25 miles so i hope its fixed. i will keep yall postedif it does it again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everybody. Brand new to the forum. I bought my Dart Limited 1.4 w/manual one year ago. I've got 25K miles on it now. Problem with the clutch is the latest issue. The pedal stays close to the floor when first started after sitting all night or after 8 hours at work. Had to bring pedal up with my foot. I usually have the trans in first gear when I start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. The car inches forward with the pedal fully depressed. Hard to pull out of gear, kinda like when the clutch is not depressed. Hard to get back into gear also. After a couple of shifts, the clutch pedal works fine. Took it to the dealer. They kept it for three weeks. Replaced the clutch pedal assembly. Finally got the car back and it shifted and acted fine that evening, except my cruise control didn't work. Next morning on the way to work, I pushed the clutch pedal in to down shift and heard a "snap". Clutch still worked fine. After work, the car lurched forward again when I started the engine and I found a broken piece of plastic on the floor board under the clutch pedal. There was no resistance in the pedal when I pushed it in. So, it's back in the shop again. I told them there has to be something wrong with the hydraulics. They are replacing a switch that's attached to the pedal assembly before they can determine what is wrong with the pedal. I'm seeing issues with the slave on here. Maybe that's the problem with mine....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey everybody. Brand new to the forum. I bought my Dart Limited 1.4 w/manual one year ago. I've got 25K miles on it now. Problem with the clutch is the latest issue. The pedal stays close to the floor when first started after sitting all night or after 8 hours at work. Had to bring pedal up with my foot. I usually have the trans in first gear when I start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. The car inches forward with the pedal fully depressed. Hard to pull out of gear, kinda like when the clutch is not depressed. Hard to get back into gear also. After a couple of shifts, the clutch pedal works fine. Took it to the dealer. They kept it for three weeks. Replaced the clutch pedal assembly. Finally got the car back and it shifted and acted fine that evening, except my cruise control didn't work. Next morning on the way to work, I pushed the clutch pedal in to down shift and heard a "snap". Clutch still worked fine. After work, the car lurched forward again when I started the engine and I found a broken piece of plastic on the floor board under the clutch pedal. There was no resistance in the pedal when I pushed it in. So, it's back in the shop again. I told them there has to be something wrong with the hydraulics. They are replacing a switch that's attached to the pedal assembly before they can determine what is wrong with the pedal. I'm seeing issues with the slave on here. Maybe that's the problem with mine....
Im sorry I cant help you more but a couole of people were having this problem there was a thread on it!

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
I have yet to need to bring the pedal up manually; but sometimes it does feel "low". I haven't brought it in yet, because it usually corrects itself after it's warmed up & driving a bit. Sometimes I just pump it a bit in the morning, too. I swear, it's just me being paranoid sometimes. -_-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive had my dart out of the shop for a couple weeks now for the same problem n they changed the master cylinder and so far so good. Im just keeping my fingers crossed that its finally fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this problem to took it to dealership they wouldn't do anything for me since it was random and they couldn't make it stick. Most replaced slave and or master cylinder and ben fine. In my case I took cap off reservoir put back on and pedal hasn't gotten loose feeling since which is odd cause that shouldn't affect it. But I did notice when puttin cap back on it never "tightens" it feels like threads are striped but idk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same problem about two to three months after purchase. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the slave cylinder. They swapped it out and everything was good until about a month ago. Sometimes when I start my car up in the mornings my clutch is really soft/ easier to press. Once I get going for a little it stiffens back up. My theory is either my clutch is starting to wear, which I don't think it should already. Or that air is getting into the slave cylinder. I'm leaning towards the salve cylinder since it was defective already. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts