Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from spending a bit of time on the forums that for as much as we all love our Darts, some people just have $#!t luck with cars; including their Dart. All though they all seem to be with the 1.4L Turbo :tongue:

Here's a quick video of the 5 things I hate about my Dart.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
things i hate about the dart too.... i just hate how damn sexy the dart is! i hate how easy it is to work on the dart, be it repairs or mods... i hate the great gas mileage, over 40MPG easy on the highway... i hate all the tech that comes with the dart for less than $25k - speakers, NAV, TFT, touchscreen... and finally i really, REALLY hate dodge dart org and the incredible support community that we have in place for dart owners. SMH :)

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
1. Its and N/A motor... not very often are there mods for those... Unless you get a turbo kit.

2. If you decide for a turbo kit you would need to build the internals in order to handle more boost and then more mods... The tigershark is an updated skittles motor minus the turbo.

3. The band on around the dash was updated in 2015 and now glows red.

4. There may be an update for the dash, that should fix the issues youre having...

5. The dart is gone after 2016/2017... nothing you can do... the biggest thing that it seems that everyone keeps forgetting about the dart is.... *drumroll* ITS AN ECONOMY CAR!!!! I get it you want the car that looks fast to be fast... but every car has its limits without spending an arm and a leg to push it to its max. So hell, if you wanna spend a ton of money... Get a manual 2.4, go to RRM get the turbo kit, buy forged internals a new clutch and flywheel and have it tuned youll be pushing 400+ but youre gonna spend upwards of almost 10K on top of what you paid for your dart.

I think more and more people are getting into the ricer mentality of the just throw parts on and it goes faster... Thank you COBB/DIABLO/companies that make general flash tunes... this issue is caused by that... back in the day, you needed to be able to turn wrenches on the car you were working on PLUS have a customs company tune your car... the people today are so spoiled with bolt-on mods and general flash tunes that they are getting upset because their car isnt as fast as they think it should be compared to the people who are driving 10-15 yo cars that are BUILT with custom tunes putting down serious HP. Look at anyone driving older DSMs or camaros or mustangs or WRXs and youll see that those people normally are NOT running flash tunes and standard bolt-ons... those people have fully built engines with custom stand-alone systems that govern almost EVERYTHING in their car. Those people also dropped at least 10-15K on all their modifications (AT LEAST... ive seen builds upwards of $75k on top of the price of the car. Granted that car is drag strip ONLY but you get the point). My point is, dont be upset with your purchase if you didnt do your research about aftermarket mods before you bought it... and it doesnt go as fast as you think it should. Not every car out there is going to have aftermarket support as it will not always be beneficial for the aftermarket companies to put in the R&D to make the parts and tunes for those cars...

Sorry, @ownsmash not trying to rip on you but ive gotten so sick and tired of hearing about how certain cars dont have the support (especially the n/a darts) and people really need to understand the frustration of people who are willing to get down and spend the time and money on their car vs. the "ricers" or people who dont spend any time, know nothing and just drop money on parts because they make the car sound/look cool and may or may not add power.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Dude, if those are the things you "hate" about your Dart... first-world problems. I'm with @Exitus04 here, simply being an affordable compact car does not automatically guarantee a solid offering of aftermarket parts. There needs to be a fairly substantial customer base out there to support the vendors of such parts, especially quality performance parts (which are never cheap). The only reason the Dart has any aftermarket performance support is because its 1.4T engine is shared with other performance-oriented vehicles like the 500 Abarth. The 2.0L engine is basically an orphan that was only ever used in the Dart, and only in small numbers after 2013, when it became the SE-only engine. The 2.4L engine is used in other vehicles, but Jeep owners don't generally look for the same kinds of mods as your average Dart owner would, and the 200 is a mid-sized sedan, not exactly a market segment where mods are a thing. In any case, it's a modern normally aspirated 4-cylinder engine, and automakers don't leave a lot of horsepower on the table. You can get somewhat better performance out of the engine, but let's be realistic, the Mopar 210hp tune (that they never released) is probably the upper limit of what it can achieve without spending a small fortune on a turbo bit. How hard is it to understand that without forced induction, there is a hard absolute limit to how much air an engine can ingest? The reason that so much more can be achieved with turbocharged engines is that there is no such absolute limit. It is always possible to achieve more power if you are willing to invest in doing so. Of course, by the time you built a 300hp Dart, you'd have spent more than it would have likely cost to buy a similar-sized car with a 300hp engine.

As for floating island bezel surround, I have a 2013 and the level of illumination is pretty even all the way around. It's certainly not a lot dimmer at its furthest from the light source.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The tigershark is an updated skittles motor minus the turbo.
Ummmm...the only thing the Tigershark 2.4 has that is related to the NSRT-4/PT Cruiser motors is the 2.4L displacement rating. Dodge completely changed the 2.4 motor, when they went to the "all-world" engine starting with the Caliber, and the Tigershark is a completely different motor from that one as well. Not only is the Dart 2.4 two steps away from that Neon motor, but I believe the Tigershark is actually a Fiat based design as well. So, no way would I ever consider calling it that.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Ummmm...the only thing the Tigershark 2.4 has that is related to the NSRT-4/PT Cruiser motors is the 2.4L displacement rating. Dodge completely changed the 2.4 motor, when they went to the "all-world" engine starting with the Caliber, and the Tigershark is a completely different motor from that one as well. Not only is the Dart 2.4 two steps away from that Neon motor, but I believe the Tigershark is actually a Fiat based design as well. So, no way would I ever consider calling it that.
I think you missed the point of what i was saying... also... YES, the tigershark is a revamped 2.4... The specs are identical (of the non-turbo 2.4 and the tigershark). The only things that changed between the 2.4T and the 2.4 were bore, stoke, compression ratio and the DOHC vs. the newer SOHC. The only difference NOW between the 2.4 and the 2.4tigershark is the multiair2 which governs the valves hydraulically... They are basically the same engine...

·
Registered
164 Posts
When buying a car there are certain expectations you need to set (based on the car you are buying). I wanted a cheap 6 speed manual car that handled decent and got good MPG while also being fairly reliable and at least have the option for some mods. I did not expect to get something quick/fast with the expectations i set going in especially for the budget I set (10k). The dart I got has exceeded all of my expectations and even came in way under my budget ($6K with 30k miles). There really is nothing I do not like about my dart for what it is. I love looking at it, driving it, washing it, and maintaining/upgrading it. I think some people expect too much of the dart.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose you guys didn't happen to read the description for the video and took it a bit too seriously, I didn't buy the 2.4L Dart and expect it to be a speed demon; I bought it as a daily driver :p If I wanted a real performance car I would not have bought a Dart in the first place. As @jsblanch mentioned these really are "first-world problems" and I had to stretch a bit to find things I didn't like because I really do like my Dart. @Exitus04, since I did not purchase the Dart with the intention to mod the hell out of it or run it on a drag strip the fact that the 2.4L doesn't have a plethora of performance mods / tunes doesn't make me regret my purchase; never said it did.

I did not mean this to sound like a "Reasons I wish I didn't buy a Dart".

Mentioning the lack of mods was meant as more of a outcry that a real performance Dart: SRT or GLH never reached us! As that is really the only thing left to desire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know from spending a bit of time on the forums that for as much as we all love our Darts, some people just have $#!t luck with cars; including their Dart. All though they all seem to be with the 1.4L Turbo :tongue:

Maybe you should have started with the video " top 5 things I love about my dart" then put this video of "top 5 things I hate about my dart" as you have it on your YouTube channel. just my 2 cents. I see what you were doing in making this video, as a lot of videos out on YouTube are the top ten thing I hate, or the top 5 reasons why, or the top 20 reason for... etc. It got you 33 views on YouTube and 1 like so far. who knows, might catch traction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Ckeefer86 I'm not sure I get what you are saying...I did put the 5 Things I love on the forum too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think you missed the point of what i was saying... also... YES, the tigershark is a revamped 2.4... The specs are identical (of the non-turbo 2.4 and the tigershark). The only things that changed between the 2.4T and the 2.4 were bore, stoke, compression ratio and the DOHC vs. the newer SOHC. The only difference NOW between the 2.4 and the 2.4tigershark is the multiair2 which governs the valves hydraulically... They are basically the same engine...
The spec's are not the same. The PT Cruiser 2.4 NA was rated around 150 hp, 2.4T ("turbo-light" models) were using a turbo to make the same 180 HP the Darts 2.4 motor makes NA. I think you are kidding yourself if you think the only difference is the multi-air, saying the Tigershark motor is an update of the SRT4 motor, is like calling the Dart an updated Neon. It's just not true. But I am not going to drag this thread off topic anymore, so I'll just agree to disagree.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
The spec's are not the same. The PT Cruiser 2.4 NA was rated around 150 hp, 2.4T ("turbo-light" models) were using a turbo to make the same 180 HP the Darts 2.4 motor makes NA. I think you are kidding yourself if you think the only difference is the multi-air, saying the Tigershark motor is an update of the SRT4 motor, is like calling the Dart an updated Neon. It's just not true. But I am not going to drag this thread off topic anymore, so I'll just agree to disagree.
I think you are just not researching and going off what you think and generalizing to harshly...

For the 2.4 Tigershark: Configuration Straight-4
Displacement

1,798 cc (109.7 cu in)
1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)
2,360 cc (144 cu in)

Cylinder bore

86 mm (3.4 in)
88 mm (3.5 in)

Piston stroke

77 mm (3.0 in)
86 mm (3.4 in)
97 mm (3.8 in)

Cylinder block alloy Aluminum
Cylinder head alloy Aluminum
Valvetrain

Double overhead camshafts
MultiAir 2

Compression ratio

10.5:1

Now, for the older 2.4 from 1994-2010 when it switched:
Combustion chamber
Configuration Straight-4
Displacement

1,798 cc (109.7 cu in)
1,998 cc (121.9 cu in)
2,360 cc (144 cu in)
2,429 cc (148.2 cu in) Turbo

Cylinder bore

83 mm (3.3 in)
87.5 mm (3.44 in)

Piston stroke

83 mm (3.3 in)
101 mm (4.0 in)

Cylinder block alloy Cast Iron
Cylinder head alloy Aluminum
Valvetrain

Double overhead camshafts
Single overhead camshaft

Compression ratio

9.4:1
9.6:1
9.8:1
8.0:1 EDZ turbo
8.1:1 EDV/EDT

I may have mis-spoke when i said the 2.4 tigershark is an updated skittles motor without the turbo... but if you read the highlighted numbers it is definitely a updated version of the old NON-turbo 2.4 dodge built.

·
Registered
540 Posts
^ I did NOT miss your point, I saw you point, which is why I said is your comparison between the motors is wrong. Your comparison is the exact same thing as saying the Dart is an updated version of the Neon. It's not...plain and simple. So again, agree to disagree.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
^ I did NOT miss your point, I saw you point, which is why I said is your comparison between the motors is wrong. Your comparison is the exact same thing as saying the Dart is an updated version of the Neon. It's not...plain and simple. So again, agree to disagree.
So i guess i made those numbers up... my bad. and i never said the dart is an updated version of the neon... but since you bring that up the dart is the NEW compact sedan from dodge that took over where the neon left off.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hopefully that squabble is over...... I honestly cannot think of 5 things I hate about my Dart.
I'll try;
1, that it's not paid off.
2, that the speedo and the GPS do not match MPH.
3, that I don't get better MPG but that's my fault.
4, it's do damn fun to drive........
5,........ I got nothing.....it sits too high, I'd like it to sit about 1.5 inches lower....springs this spring!

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
The Tigershark engines were based on the World Gas Engines. They are very similar in dimensions and what not, but they share zero interchangeable parts. Bottom line: While the Tigershark engines are indeed a new family of engines, they weren't designed from scratch.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts

Came across as reasonable to my way of thinking about cars in general. Not overly critical, but truthful without the required Kool-Aid drinking which most owners will engage in when it comes to anything they wound up buying. Even new C7 Stingray owners could very easily come up with AT LEAST 5 things they hate (dislike) about their car. Truth is always subjective. But a thick coating on that Pill makes it easier to tolerate.
And I'm sure it's not as great as one might believe on the side of Civic SI's and Focus ST's & RS' .

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Came across as reasonable to my way of thinking about cars in general. Not overly critical, but truthful without the required Kool-Aid drinking which most owners will engage in when it comes to anything they wound up buying. Even new C7 Stingray owners could very easily come up with AT LEAST 5 things they hate (dislike) about their car. Truth is always subjective. But a thick coating on that Pill makes it easier to tolerate.
And I'm sure it's not as great as one might believe on the side of Civic SI's and Focus ST's & RS' .
No car is or ever has been perfect. But why even bother making a video called "Five things I HATE about my Dart" when the most you can come up with are a handful of minor quibbles?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
^ true, true... the Hate word is a bit strong. It's like saying Five Things I Hate About My LIFE ! Like having to tolerate having a sensitive outer covering for my body , or that teeth don't just grow back when you need to get one pulled. That's two, but I mean, I don't Hate the human body. Just so much room for improvement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts