Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
There are actually 3 different ways to install a catch can in the system.

1. This is the way most everyone with the 1.4 does it, and that would be to catch the oil from the line that connects to the intake.
completed installation w-o cover.jpg This is mine.

2. Would be to catch the oil coming out of the valve cover before it is routed to the oil catch box and PCV valve.
catch can to valve cover.jpg

3. This last method has not been tried, I don't think, on the 1.4. This is how the Big Bully can is connected on the 2.0 and 2.4. It is connected to the line coming off of the PCV valve before going to the intake manifold.
DSCN0522.JPG Like I said, on the 1.4 I don't think anyone has hooked up a catch can to this line yet. On the 2.0 and 2.4 this is where the Big Bully can is connected. Of course the line looks different. Also, this is the same line that people are connecting there boost gauges to.

All 3 methods are doable. How good they will work is unknown as far as a comparison goes. All 3 methods do catch oil.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

1. This is the way most everyone with the 1.4 does it, and that would be to catch the oil from the line that connects to the intake.

2. Would be to catch the oil coming out of the valve cover before it is routed to the oil catch box and PCV valve.

3. This last method has not been tried, I don't think, on the 1.4. This is how the Big Bully can is connected on the 2.0 and 2.4. It is connected to the line coming off of the PCV valve before going to the intake manifold.

All 3 methods are doable. How good they will work is unknown as far as a comparison goes. All 3 methods do catch oil.
Great informative post. Engine pictures with yellow arrows would really help show what we're looking at under the hood.
@youngsmith53 might wanna help us break off these last couple posts and turn them into a new thread? We might have hijacked it it a bit but it's very helpful info.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

View attachment 50796 This is mine.

View attachment 50797

View attachment 50798 Like I said, on the 1.4 I don't think anyone has hooked up a catch can to this line yet. On the 2.0 and 2.4 this is where the Big Bully can is connected. Of course the line looks different. Also, this is the same line that people are connecting there boost gauges to.

Wow! Great post for all of us exploring these options. Really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Here is a new thread (and it's even sticky'd) created for the .org's convenience as asked for @pkgmsu2000...

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
@Myfurf61 there are few people using the third option and it's honestly the best one to use. The largest amount of oil goes back into the engine on the 1.4 through that line. Having an air/oil separator on that line and #2 or #1 would be best.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
The oil is coming off of the valve cover and going to the catch box.
I'm thinking it might not be the best idea to put a catch can on that line, then. Despite its shortcomings, the oil separator should allow you to reclaim most of the oil that ends being fed to it. Unlike an aftermarket catch can, the separator's condensed oil goes back into the bottom of the crankcase where it is still useful. You might as well let it do its thing, no matter how poorly, and then capture the remaining oil (which will be lost regardless) on the outbound lines.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I would stick with #1 if you have a turbo... its the easiest way to keep oil out of the turbo and the placement for the can is super simple when you have an aftermarket intake

·
Registered
69 Posts

View attachment 50796 This is mine.

View attachment 50797

View attachment 50798 Like I said, on the 1.4 I don't think anyone has hooked up a catch can to this line yet. On the 2.0 and 2.4 this is where the Big Bully can is connected. Of course the line looks different. Also, this is the same line that people are connecting there boost gauges to.

Where did you get #1? How much money's was it?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did you get #1? How much money's was it?
Check out uprproducts on eBay. I bought mine in 2013 for @ $110. They later came out with an updated interior baffle for it in 2014 that sold for @ $40. It's the billet oil catch can. I had to message him to give me the 5/8" barbed fittings and hose to go with it.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Currently working on a catch can set up for the 2.0 motor
Very nice! and a quick update... I have a catch can installed as method #3 in this thread on my 1.4T... What (for the most part) has been found is that method #1 & 2 really will NOT catch much oil at all... People have shown that using method #1 they are still getting oil through into the intake tube and through the turbo...

I havent seen any updates for method #2...

But if you want to see installation info, reviews and all the oil I have caught through method #3 CHECK THIS LINK: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-tweakers-anonymous/27883-add-w1-oil-catch-can-install-review.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very nice! and a quick update... I have a catch can installed as method #3 in this thread on my 1.4T... What (for the most part) has been found is that method #1 & 2 really will NOT catch much oil at all... People have shown that using method #1 they are still getting oil through into the intake tube and through the turbo...

I havent seen any updates for method #2...

But if you want to see installation info, reviews and all the oil I have caught through method #3 CHECK THIS LINK: http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-tweakers-anonymous/27883-add-w1-oil-catch-can-install-review.html
But those all look like they are for the 1.4, however the 2.0 set up would be different. Also with the 2.0 our engine cover connects our air box to throttle body so we dont have the same amount of space to use any of the above set ups. Plenty of good info available. I'm working on a good way to install and mount for 2.0 guys in specific.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
But those all look like they are for the 1.4, however the 2.0 set up would be different. Also with the 2.0 our engine cover connects our air box to throttle body so we dont have the same amount of space to use any of the above set ups. Plenty of good info available. I'm working on a good way to install and mount for 2.0 guys in specific.
Yeah... its nice not having a engine cover honestly. I think it takes away both space and cool engine noises! But Im sure @youngsmith53 would be quite interested in what you come up with here!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah... its nice not having a engine cover honestly. I think it takes away both space and cool engine noises! But Im sure @youngsmith53 would be quite interested in what you come up with here!
I'll be upgrading to the takada stage 2 intake and engine cover which will free up some room. But I also need some money in my wallet for more car parts.

·
Registered
261 Posts
... am I the only one that saw the thread title and said, "hmmm ... 3/4-16 male threads and 1/2-28 female threads on the same adapter, keep the thru-bore nice and concentric, and you're good to go?"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts