Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The 120 amp alternator is the same for all Dart engines. The 140 amp alternator is the same for 2.4 and 2.0 engines but is different for the 1.4 engine.

56029656AB / Alternator
DART; 1.4L; 120 AMP
$425.00 $293.25

56029579AB / Alternator
DART; 1.4L; 140 AMP
$547.00 $367.36

56029580AB / Alternator
DART; 2.0L, 2.4L; 140 AMP
$574.00 $385.28

56029656AB / Alternator
DART; 2.0L, 2.4L; 120 AMP
$425.00 $293.25

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm so grateful this post is recent, because I'm desperate for some clarification about the correct alternator.
I ordered a new one from Rock Auto overnight after the mechanic I towed to said he couldn't find one anywhere locally and it would be 3-4 days. I dropped it off yesterday and he tells me it's the wrong part. I'd be so thankful for any help and clarity.

I see visually, the different dart alternators, but I'm getting confused because the mechanic is insisting it's wrong, but Rock Auto and even the ACDelco website says it's the correct alternator, though now after finding this thread I see they see the alternator fits all darts...o_O what a nightmarish headache.

This is the one I ordered: re-manufactured ACDelco 334-3030

ACDelco's site

Any help or clarity on this subject at all would be HUGE. Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Check your build sheet to see which alternator your Dart came with from the factory. Type in your VIN at this link:
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
It seems odd that if the 120 amp alternator fits all, that somehow the one you bought won't work. Or at least this mechanic say so. Perhaps you could get pics of both side by side and post them here?
FWIW, I would have gone to a upull junkyard and pulled an alternator from a wrecked Dart for a lot less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your build sheet to see which alternator your Dart came with from the factory. Type in your VIN at this link:
https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
It seems odd that if the 120 amp alternator fits all, that somehow the one you bought won't work. Or at least this mechanic say so. Perhaps you could get pics of both side by side and post them here?
FWIW, I would have gone to a upull junkyard and pulled an alternator from a wrecked Dart for a lot less.
Man, I cannot thank you enough! Just that link was a huge help. I didn't even know there was a 120 and 140 amp alternator for the 1.4 turbos. And I couldn't find anywhere on mopar or my car, or the owner's manual, which amp I needed until you put up that link. Now I can confirm, I did indeed order the wrong part, and I need the 140 amp alternator. This whole thing has been a bitch, but thank you man. I'm in Northern VA, so I'm not sure where to start looking at junk yard, but I'm more than willing to save any money at this rate. I think I'm just going to get the part one way or the other and install it myself. I appreciate you man!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I was at a u pull in Roanoke two summers ago and they had two Darts there at that time. Do some googling for self serve junkyards in your area. Almost all yards now post their inventory and some even post the VINs. Use that VIN on the link to see what the wrecked Darts came with from the factory. If you get lucky, pulling the part at the yard will give you enough practice to do the replacement with confidence on your Dart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are seriously a treasure trove of good info, sir. All your help today, and finding your response on this thread is the most help I've had all week dealing with this. I really appreciate all of it- and taking the time to share your knowledge. The Dart being out of commission is just the most costly event in what's become a 2 week spree of "when it rains it pours"/ "everything that can go wrong will go wrong" that began with my mom's heart attack last Wednesday, and hopefully will have ended with my phone giving up on life this morning. Too much info I know, but after the windfall of shite, some unexpected good will and help really feels like a huge gift man. So THANK YOU! Again! You're a gentleman and a scholar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Lukemakesmusic
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing