Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My dart is at 65K miles, and I know it's time to change the transmission fluid. I've read through many forums and watched videos, but I none of them are helping me figure out where the fill and drain plugs are on this transmission. I know it's "sealed", but there has to be a way for to swap out the old fluid. Does anybody know where I can find these two plugs? Any other tips on performing this maintenance are also welcome.

Thanks,
Austin.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
See this thread:
You do not need to replace the filter. You would need to remove the trans from the car and disassemble it to get to the filter.
If you have no leaks, measure exactly what you drain, and put back the same amount, you don't need the tool. If you want the tool, there is one on eBay:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See this thread:
You do not need to replace the filter. You would need to remove the trans from the car and disassemble it to get to the filter.
If you have no leaks, measure exactly what you drain, and put back the same amount, you don't need the tool. If you want the tool, there is one on eBay:
Perfect, thanks for the link. The illustrations that you posted on that thread make it much clearer. I remember seeing that plug, but I didn't want to start dumping fluid in there assuming it was the correct spot lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thanks for the link. The illustrations that you posted on that thread make it much clearer. I remember seeing that plug, but I didn't want to start dumping fluid in there assuming it was the correct spot lol.
Also, after reading through your post I noticed the transmission is called "6F24", which I hadn't realized. Here's a youtube video of somebody changing out the fluid in the same transmission.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
So would I need to put a dodge dart on a lift to do this?
That would definitely help, but the procedure just states to lift it level. If you happen to have 4 jack stands, then as long as it's level then that is all you should need

Raise the vehicle (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting/Standard Procedure) on a suitable hoist that will keep the vehicle in a level position, front-to-rear and side-to-side.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I believe if you accurately measure how mush fluid you drain and put in the exact same amount (assuming you had no leaks), you are at the very least, very close. For the $20 it costs for the CTA 1017 tool, you could be sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe if you accurately measure how mush fluid you drain and put in the exact same amount (assuming you had no leaks), you are at the very least, very close. For the $20 it costs for the CTA 1017 tool, you could be sure.
Thanks for your help. I'm more worried about jacking it up and making sure it's level. I want to do stuff like this myself but I may just have to take it to a mechanic :/

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
You can use a low profile jack on the pinch welds. Then there are places to place jack stands where you see the holes where the factory supported the vehicle as it was being built. Once you get to a point where you can put a board on a floor jack under the front crossmember, you can get the vehicle higher. There are a couple good threads about jacking.

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
You can use a low profile jack on the pinch welds. Then there are places to place jack stands where you see the holes where the factory supported the vehicle as it was being built. Once you get to a point where you can put a board on a floor jack under the front crossmember, you can get the vehicle higher. There are a couple good threads about jacking.
I never thought about lifting on the pinch welds. With not so much room for contact, that idea scares me. But I liked your use of a small plank to spread the pressure out, and then the indentation left into the wood kind of gives you a ridged guide on where it needs to sit. I always hated jacking up this car. It does have those 4 spots, but yeah, you jack it up and then there's no spot for the Jack stand because the Jack is there. At least on the back there are two spots so that's not too bad, but the front does not have much. My buddy usually finds a spot around the control arm and the car gets cradled by the jack stand there. I would prefer to just use the 4 spots you highlighted in your posts though for the stand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts