Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first purchased my car the emergency brake would click when you put it on. Now it doesn't click anymore and i just feel slack and then resistance when I pull on the brake lever. Then when I release the brake it doesn't disengage immediately. Anyone have a similar problem. any advice on how to fix or what I should pay to have this issue fixed. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
Time to rebuild or replace. These calipers with the integrated e-brake tend to fail.

Reactions: Bullfrog

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the rear calipers be bad if the car drives fine so long as engage parking brake is there any adjustment in the console or at the rear calipers thanks

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
230 Posts
It's the parking brake mechanism within the caliper that's bad. My right side was sticking, and I replaced that caliper. Then my left side immediately started sticking. I just don't use the e-brake anymore if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the parking brake mechanism within the caliper that's bad. My right side was sticking, and I replaced that caliper. Then my left side immediately started sticking. I just don't use the e-brake anymore if I can avoid it.
Thank you so much

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Can the rear calipers be bad if the car drives fine so long as engage parking brake is there any adjustment in the console or at the rear calipers thanks
The e-brake basically rotates a shaft that through the clever use of ball bearings in cups mechanically presses the brake pad into the rotor. The regular brakes use hydraulic pressure to do the same. It is the shaft on the e-brake mechanism that binds due to contamination and corrosion, preventing it from being rotated back into its resting position. Provided that the e-brake mechanism on each caliper is in its "resting" position, the brakes will operate normally. However, if the e-brake on either side is left deployed, that brake will drag, causing excessive brake wear, bad fuel economy, and possibly dangerous handling characteristics. You can tell by whether there is any slack in the brake lever. There should be none at all if everything is working properly, so if you feel any slack when you gently try to pull the lever up (don't actually engage the e-brake if it's binding), you need to manually push the lever that the e-brake cable hooks on back against its resting stop tab. When it started happening on my car, I was able to press it down with my hand through the spokes (I have the 5-spoke 18" wheels, you probably can't do that with any other wheel). Otherwise, you need to jack the car up, remove the wheel, and tap it back down into its resting position with a hammer. Once you have confirmed that both sides are in the resting position, don't use the e-brake until you replace or rebuild the calipers. If you have a manual transmission, you will need to be very mindful when it comes to parking your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just here to add to the other 5 replies that say you need new or rebuilt calipers. I just went through replacing my rear calipers and even tried tightening my cable to fix this but in the end it was a caliper issue. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but it's not that bad, honestly. It does take some time though and the cables are a biatch to get on and off. I was trying to put together a how to video specifically for caliper replacement because I don't think I've seen that many, or any at all but haven't gotten around to editing the clips to make a video yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts