Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Been driving my 2015 SE for a bit over two years, and recently it's just gotten...boring, I guess? This is my first car, I bought it myself at 23, and it's just gotten dull overtime. Driving stick is cool because no one around me knows how, but the painted metal shift knob eventually started chipping and cutting into my palm so I just removed it and I'm left with the rubber/plastic? insert bolted on. I haven't done anything to my Dart to customize it really, other than replacing the floor mats.

I'm basically wanting to breathe some new life into my car without breaking the bank. Also, hello!
Any advice? - James

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
See this thread about shift knobs:

·
Super Moderator
4,524 Posts
Hey all. Been driving my 2015 SE for a bit over two years, and recently it's just gotten...boring, I guess? This is my first car, I bought it myself at 23, and it's just gotten dull overtime. Driving stick is cool because no one around me knows how, but the painted metal shift knob eventually started chipping and cutting into my palm so I just removed it and I'm left with the rubber/plastic? insert bolted on. I haven't done anything to my Dart to customize it really, other than replacing the floor mats.

I'm basically wanting to breathe some new life into my car without breaking the bank. Also, hello!
Any advice? - James
Hey James,

I think we have all been there in a car before. You see all these new cars coming out, and new tech, and maybe higher trim darts that have stuff you don't. It can make your car feel very boring. But I have some options for you! I noticed you have an SE, so I am assuming you don't have the LED Track lights in the rear? Most SEs did not come with it, so if you're don't check out Ebay! It will liven up the rear look of your car 300% and I think most Dart owners will agree, this was one of the big selling points of the car. The "mini charger" look with those track lights. Most ebay sellers are selling for less than $100, which is a great deal as they used to be VERY expensive. We have a vendor that provides a lot of great parts and they sell them New, but they are almost $500! So yeah finding a good used pair would be idea, and even though your car does not have it, they should be plug and play, and install is pretty simple. :) https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=dodge+dart+tail+lights+trunk+button&_sacat=33716 Some of those might not be lit, so be sure to read the descriptions.

I have an excellent write up on an HID install for the dart. I also found a kit that worked really well for our platform and can be had for a good price! The link is in the top of this post. https://www.dodge-dart.org/threads/initial-review-unboxing-xenon-vision-hids.37970/ HIDs will add a new and cleaner look to the front end of your car. I would recommend the 5000k as a pure white, but if you want more of the cool white / bluish color than 6000k would be the way to go. It should say it in the post, but there is a "Coupon Gift Certificate" button you can press to apply a discount and they were a vendor for us in the past. It looks like the code "dodge-dart" still works for $20 off! You would want the Canbus Ballasts since our car uses a canbus system, is very picky, and annoying. That adds cost to the kit, but that is what you will need. With the discount, you should be able to get them for under $80 shipped! Which for quality HIDs, could be upwards to $250+. The write up should walk you through everything in buying and installing, so even if you're not inclined to electrical or mechanical, these mods are very straight forward! The HIGH increase in light output from the HIDs is not only to look good, but is a huge safety increase to dark roads. We use projector housings, so no need to adjust the lights unless you feel they are too high.

Another cheap and easy mod I would suggest is the LED interior mod. You can find 194 LED bulbs online for CHEAP. Usually 10 for $10. Here is one, but you can find them all on amazon or anywhere. Only thing is you NEED Canbus ones. It's because if you don't have them, they will stay dimmly lit all the time. This won't hurt your battery, but it's because there is some juice always flowing through the interior bulbs, and since LEDs don't need much to turn on, this happens. Here is a link to come canbus ones with decent reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Yorkim-Bulb-Canbus-Error-Free/dp/B07HQ5S15Q/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=canbus+led+194&qid=1570633073&sr=8-5 Only issue with most cheap amazon bulbs that I have noticed, is if you leave the doors open for a long time, they might "over heat". They have resistors on them to make it so they don't have that dim lighting effect, and these resistors will get hot and stop working. Not hot enough to work about them catching fire or anything, but enough to cause the lights to start flickering and get REALLY annoying. These are great starter lights, and with 10 of them, you can replace any that might go bad. You can get better quality ones, but for a significantly higher price. Since you're not looking to break the bank, I would suggest something like this. It will give you that bright modern car look, make it much brighter in the car, and just an overall good mod. The front and back light fixtures easily come down, but you should just be able to remove the lenses. Here is a video on how to do it

As mentioned above with your bad shifter, I switched to this one years ago and it has been so nice! Works with reverse lockout and very comfy. https://www.amazon.com/MOMO-Nero-Reverse-Shift-Knob/dp/B002OENBII/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Momo+lockout+shifter&qid=1570633743&sr=8-1 I bought this 5 years ago and it's held up with no issues for over 100k miles. It looks like if you get this one you actually end up getting this one https://www.amazon.com/MOMO-Black-Reverse-PONEROBLK00SL-NERBK1R/dp/B0764B984X/ref=pd_sbs_263_5/136-3812286-6349848?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0764B984X&pd_rd_r=10cef0be-0662-4e91-83bd-3d630782fff4&pd_rd_w=CvOMD&pd_rd_wg=aSbCB&pf_rd_p=d66372fe-68a6-48a3-90ec-41d7f64212be&pf_rd_r=5BZ3VJEWS1DFGVSZD2A0&psc=1&refRID=5BZ3VJEWS1DFGVSZD2A0 which is listed as more, and I kind of like the new black out look more.

Overall you could get all this stuff for under $300 and would definitely revamp your car. I would highly suggest all of these things, and if you have any questions let us know! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts

Any advice? - James
I'm just now having the same issue with my shift knob lol. I honestly don't know how it started to chip tbh. I know they do sell OEM replacements, but if you like you could always get one with the thread pitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts