Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my husband should have taken it to the dealer when this problem started, the engine light coming on steadily. However, both he and my son like to 'tinker' and find the problem themselves. So this morning, they took it to an auto mechanic friend for code reading. This is what he came up with. I looked most of them up but all it does is get confusing....!!
P0038.. U1504.... U110A.... P0128... P0113

Husband and son out in the garage again fiddling with the car. I still think it should be taken to the dealer who have all the electronic tools and accessories needed for this job.....!

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Multiple codes are usually a wiring harness fault. Always try to fix P codes before U codes. U1504 will happen when the battery was disconnected and usually goes away itself once things are right.

P0038-00-O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following conditions are met:

•During O2 heater operation.
•Battery voltage between 10.4 and 15.75 volts.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the O2 Sensor Heater element input is above the maximum acceptable voltage.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

O2 SENSOR HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
O2 SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

P0128-THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY

•With the engine running.
•Start up coolant temperature less than 65°C (149°F).
•Ambient temperature between -8°C (17.6°F) and 50°C (122°F).
•Average vehicle speed greater than 16 km/h (10 mph) until coolant temperature reaches 85°C.
•Engine speed does not go above 5400 rpm for more than 32 seconds.
•The pass/fail determination point is reached when the coolant temp model reaches 88°C (190.4°F).

Set Conditions:

•The predicted coolant temperature reaches the target threshold before the actual coolant temperature and the PCM detects that the actual engine coolant temperature is too far below the what is acceptable for a good thermostat.

Default Actions:

•MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

LOW COOLANT LEVEL
COOLING SYSTEM ISSUES
THERMOSTAT OPERATION

P0113-INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the ignition on.
•Battery voltage greater than 10.38 volts.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor input voltage is above 4.96 volts for 2.24 seconds.

Default Actions:

Possible Causes

IAT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
IAT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
IAT SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR

U1504-IMPLAUSIBLE MESSAGE DATA LENGTH RECEIVED FROM STEERING ANGLE SENSOR

•When Monitored:
Continuously while the system is active.

•Set Condition:
An error length message has been received over the CAN C bus from the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). One trip fault.

Possible Causes

CAN BUS OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
STEERING ANGLE SENSOR (SAS) / STEERING CONTROL MODULE (SCM)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh man, I’m not much a car geek myself so I don’t have an answer but I do have similar problems myself.

About a year ago my check engine came on and read as U110A but then went away so I forgot about it. Just the other day I came to a stop and my car turned off for no reason. The battery light came on as if it died (which shouldn’t happen while running) so I took the keys out the ignition and turned it back on and it ran like nothing happened. Then today my power steering light came on along with the check engine. The steering wheel got stuff but then went away along with the light but the check engine stayed one this time it gave me two codes: U110A and U0131. I hope there’s a simple wiring problem because this car is too new to be malfunctioning. I have a 2016 dart 2.4 SXT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Multiple codes are usually a wiring harness fault. Always try to fix P codes before U codes. U1504 will happen when the battery was disconnected and usually goes away itself once things are right.

P0038-00-O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

•During O2 heater operation.
•Battery voltage between 10.4 and 15.75 volts.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the O2 Sensor Heater element input is above the maximum acceptable voltage.

Default Actions:

Possible Causes

O2 SENSOR HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
O2 SENSOR

P0128-THERMOSTAT RATIONALITY

•With the engine running.
•Start up coolant temperature less than 65°C (149°F).
•Ambient temperature between -8°C (17.6°F) and 50°C (122°F).
•Average vehicle speed greater than 16 km/h (10 mph) until coolant temperature reaches 85°C.
•Engine speed does not go above 5400 rpm for more than 32 seconds.
•The pass/fail determination point is reached when the coolant temp model reaches 88°C (190.4°F).

Set Conditions:

•The predicted coolant temperature reaches the target threshold before the actual coolant temperature and the PCM detects that the actual engine coolant temperature is too far below the what is acceptable for a good thermostat.

Default Actions:

•MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

LOW COOLANT LEVEL
COOLING SYSTEM ISSUES
THERMOSTAT OPERATION

P0113-INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the ignition on.
•Battery voltage greater than 10.38 volts.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor input voltage is above 4.96 volts for 2.24 seconds.

Default Actions:

Possible Causes

IAT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
IAT SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
IAT SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR

U1504-IMPLAUSIBLE MESSAGE DATA LENGTH RECEIVED FROM STEERING ANGLE SENSOR

•When Monitored:
Continuously while the system is active.

•Set Condition:
An error length message has been received over the CAN C bus from the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS). One trip fault.

Possible Causes

CAN BUS OPEN OR SHORTED CONDITION
STEERING ANGLE SENSOR (SAS) / STEERING CONTROL MODULE (SCM)
Turns out... It was a faulty spark plug. Once a new one was put in... Problem solved. Now it's 2020 and the dart is still running great!
CozzyShen

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Turns out... It was a faulty spark plug. Once a new one was put in... Problem solved. Now it's 2020 and the dart is still running great!
CozzyShen
That doesn't even make sense. None of the codes you reported is remotely related to spark plugs, and the codes you would get for a bad plug (misfires, for one) aren't there. Of course, the codes you had were also not really related to each other, either, so something else must have happened when you replaced the plugs (did you disconnect the battery, like you should?) that cleared the codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts