Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Dart GT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I recently purchased a 2015 Dart GT that had been hit in the front end. The impact had damaged the front bumper, fender, coolers and the left suspension. It also damaged the rack and pinion to the point that both front wheels were pointing opposite directions. I repaired the damage to the car but for the rack and pinion rather then the almost $1800 the dealer wanted for a new rack and pinion bought one from a salvage yard with a 90 day warranty. I installed the new rack and pinion in the car and took it to my dealer to have a proxi alignment and reconfiguration completed. They informed me they could not communicate with the new rack and pinion and it would need to be replaced. The quote for this was $3100. I called the salvage yard I got the rack and pinion from and they shipped me a replacement under warranty. I installed the replacement rack and pinion in the car. Instead of going back to the dealer I purchased the ALFAOBD app as well as the OBDlink MX+. I went in and performed a proxi alignment which all modules passed and got rid of the flashing odometer. I however still have service power steering lit up on the dash. The only code present in the EPS is C2202 that comes right back as soon as it is cleared for VIN mismatch in the power steering. When it try to perform the EPS relearn in ALFAOBD it instantly says procedure completed with out having me turn the wheel as I would suspect. If I go into data monitor I can see the steering angle change smoothly as I turn the wheel both directions. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery I have code C15E9 set as well. Any suggestions on why it will not complete the EPS Relearn? Can you not install a used rack and pinion in these cars? I unfortunately do not have my original rack and pinion any more either to swap the controller over....

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Send the alfaOBD developer your log.
Alexey Chernikov alfaOBD developer [email protected]
He might have some new insights.

C2202 is about a VIN mismatch. Why they married the steering rack to the VIN is beyond belief. Hopefully there is a way to overwrite the VIN in the EPS controller.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Electric Power Steering (EPS) / Diagnosis and Testing

C2202-00-ORIGINAL VIN MISMATCH/MISSING

•When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on.

•Set Conditions:
This DTC will set if the current Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) does not match the broadcast or the stored VIN in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Possible Causes

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) VIN NOT PROGRAMMED
ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) MODULE
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

The other code is here:

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Here is what the service manual says about the EPS relearn. I doubt that it would change the VIN.

EPS LEARN PROCEDURE

PERFORMING EPS LEARN PROCEDURE

NOTE:
If the Steering Gear or the Steering Column were replaced, it is necessary to perform the PROXI Alignment routine before continuing with this procedure. A diagnostic scan tool MUST be used to align the PROXI configuration data into the new ECU. Follow the routine outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for PROXI Configuration Alignment under Body Control Module (BCM) Miscellaneous Functions menu.

1. Using the scan tool, perform the EPS Learn procedure.

2. With the scan tool, read the EPS DTCs.

Are there any DTCs present?

Yes

•Perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure(s). (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Electric Power Steering (EPS) /Diagnosis and Testing) .

No

•Test Complete
•Perform the EPS VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Electronic Power Steering (EPS) - Standard Procedure)

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Did some more googling. There was a thread here on the Dart forum:
Other manufacturer EPS steering racks seem to have the same problem. From what I read, once a VIN is programmed, it isn't easily overwritten. The alfaOBD app says it's a Delphi rack, not sure if another vehicle uses the same rack. The newer version Chrysler 200 is very similar to the Dart.
The service manual says a steering rack should not be disassembled, but don't let that discourage you. If you can get the original rack, it might be worth the trouble of finding the electronic part and then figuring out how to get it into your used rack. If all that fails, you can try to get a new steering rack online for less than what dealers want. Install it and then take it to a dealer to have your VIN written to it. If you find a solution, come back and let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts