Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

My 2015 Dart SXT 2.4L A/C is blowing hot air. The compressor is still engaging/running but no cold air.

The shop I took it to says the compressor is leaking. The compressor alone is about $750. Per the shop, some other components have to be replaced to keep the compressor's warranty. The R1234yf is expensive too. They quoted me approximately $1500 for the total job (which I think is pretty much a complete new system, charged and installed).

Is there anyway I can confirm that the compressor is leaking on my own? I've never used this place before, but they're the only ones in town with the 1234yf equipment.

Has anyone ever tried an A/C compressor from a scrapyard? I can get one for about $75, just not sure if it's even worth trying.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I probably would not get a compressor from the junk yard if they would even sell it to you.

Try RockAuto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2015,dart,2.4l+l4,3309781,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+compressor,6628

The thing is they have a compressor that's $750, but most shops have a markup on parts even if it is a small amount so i doubt that four seasons is the one they're selling you. Sometimes the markup comes from hiring a parts delivery service to pick this up and bring it to them and sometimes its for shipping, or even you know just because....

You also might want to ask them specifically if theyll even do the work if you bring your own parts before you order anything. Most will however back in the day i ran across a couple shops that wouldnt.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If you look under the AC compressor, there will be refrigerant oil there by the compressor clutch if it's actually leaking. I have a junkyard Dart compressor as a spare and would not hesitate using it. I have been using junkyard parts for at least the last 20 years. For $200 you could buy your own vacuum pump and gauge set with R1234YF adapters and fill the system with R134a yourself. Keep the $1300 in your bank account. I have been reading that switching refrigerants works without issues. R134a is way cheaper and readily available even at Walmart. Yes there are those who get all hyper saying it will damage stuff. In my opinion, there isn't anything there to damage by swapping refrigerants. We'll see in the next few years that it's all a ruse and swapping refrigerants is very acceptable. You can use the R134a PAG oil and it will be compatible. R134a will probably cool way better as well. If you do some googling, it's a Nippodenso 6SBU16C AC compressor. There may even be a seal kit out there so you could reseal your original compressor. Lots of you tubes on doing that. Been doing my own AC stuff on my Neons and previous Mopars all these years with no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!

I'm thinking I'll move forward with buying the compressor from RockAuto since I can get it, the drier, and an expansion valve for about $300. I just want to ask how bad of a job is it to replace these parts? I want to do it myself so I can convert to 134a without getting scolded by a shop lol.

Do you know of any videos/guides for replacing these parts? From what I've read, you have to go through the right wheel well to change the serpentine belt, is this necessary to reach the compressor as well?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yes, you will need to remove the wheel well splash shield and the belly pan for access. Let us know how all this works out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I know it's been a while, but I finally finished this job a couple of days ago. I wasn't in a huge rush because I was able to drive my truck to work.

Overall, the job was pretty straightforward. The hardest part to change out for me was the dryer on the condenser.

In total, I probably have about $450-500 in the job (including a new serpentine belt and R1234yf adapters). I rented the gauges/vacuum pump from O'Reilly for nothing. I was able to use the R1234yf adapters from Amazon with the R134a gauges thanks to a couple of brass adapters.

As of right now, it's cooling and everything seems to be good to go with the R134a. I'll update if anything changes.

Again, thanks for the help and the RockAuto tip (very impressed with them).

Here's a picture of my old compressor just for reference. It was pretty messed up.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
So is it possible to change out the dryer on the condenser? FSM says it's part of the condenser.

The A/C receiver/drier (3) is mounted to the left side of the A/C condenser (2) and is on the high-side of the A/C system. The A/C receiver/drier helps remove moisture from the refrigerant, filters the refrigerant, stores any unnecessary refrigerant and retains any refrigerant vapor that may leave the A/C condenser, until it becomes a liquid.
The A/C receiver/drier is integral to the A/C condenser and must be replaced with the condenser as an assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it's recommended that the condenser be completely changed. I didn't see any reason to do this since the compressor didn't lock up.

The dryer has one screw in the bottom and two fittings. The issue I had was access for removal. I had to carefully tap up on the dryer with screwdriver/hammer to get it off. When reinstalling, I couldn't get enough of a grip to push the dryer back in. The factory screw was too short to reach it, so I found a longer bolt of the same thread pattern and used it to pull the dryer down on the fittings until it was close enough for the original screw to reach. Then used the original screw to fully seat the dryer.

This would be much easier to accomplish in an actual shop, I was doing this in my yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts