Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 GT, 2.4L. 55,000 miles. How hot is too hot? I've contacted the dealership regarding the temp, but they keep telling me that they "run hotter" than normal. What's normal then for the Dart? My gauge is showing up to 228° and it's unnerving, knowing the damage that can easily happen. What are you all seeing in terms of temp - is 220° really "normal"?

Backstory...
In April of 2018 I noticed a strong coolant smell after an oil change, and that's when I started keeping the temp gauge front and center on the dash - and at that time the temp was creeping up to 210. I took it back to the dealer. After checking it over, they said that it wasn't the temperature that concerned them as much as it was the dribble of coolant down the block. They said it wasn't safe to drive the car and kept it for servicing. The comment on the work order reads as this..."REMOVED CYLINDER HEAD, FOUND THAT THE BLOCK TO HEAD DOWEL PIN WAS PUSHED ALL THE WAY UP INTO THE CYLINDER HEAD CAUSING GASKET DAMAGE, WHEN TAKING OFF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD OFF TWO OF THE BOLTS TOOK ALL THE THREADS IN THE HEAD WITH THEM. TALKED WITH STAR AND THEY STATED TO REPLACE HEAD DUE TO MORE DAMAGE WOULD BE DONE BY TRYING TO REMOVE DOWEL FROM HEAD. REPLACED CYLINDER HEAD AND GASKET AT THIS TIME. I REPLACED THE THERMOSTAT ALSO. PERFORMED COOLANT BLEED OUT AND TEST DRIVE". Ever since then, I've been paranoid about the temp. I still catch a whiff of coolant from time to time and I'm told it's because the stupid pinch hose clamps they tend to use. They get stiff in the cold Wisc winters and allow some seepage. It all sounds bogus to me. What are your thoughts? Is smoke being blown up my skirt?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have a 2015 GT, 2.4L. 55,000 miles. How hot is too hot? I've contacted the dealership regarding the temp, but they keep telling me that they "run hotter" than normal. What's normal then for the Dart? My gauge is showing up to 228° and it's unnerving, knowing the damage that can easily happen. What are you all seeing in terms of temp - is 220° really "normal"?

Backstory...
In April of 2018 I noticed a strong coolant smell after an oil change, and that's when I started keeping the temp gauge front and center on the dash - and at that time the temp was creeping up to 210. I took it back to the dealer. After checking it over, they said that it wasn't the temperature that concerned them as much as it was the dribble of coolant down the block. They said it wasn't safe to drive the car and kept it for servicing. The comment on the work order reads as this..."REMOVED CYLINDER HEAD, FOUND THAT THE BLOCK TO HEAD DOWEL PIN WAS PUSHED ALL THE WAY UP INTO THE CYLINDER HEAD CAUSING GASKET DAMAGE, WHEN TAKING OFF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD OFF TWO OF THE BOLTS TOOK ALL THE THREADS IN THE HEAD WITH THEM. TALKED WITH STAR AND THEY STATED TO REPLACE HEAD DUE TO MORE DAMAGE WOULD BE DONE BY TRYING TO REMOVE DOWEL FROM HEAD. REPLACED CYLINDER HEAD AND GASKET AT THIS TIME. I REPLACED THE THERMOSTAT ALSO. PERFORMED COOLANT BLEED OUT AND TEST DRIVE". Ever since then, I've been paranoid about the temp. I still catch a whiff of coolant from time to time and I'm told it's because the stupid pinch hose clamps they tend to use. They get stiff in the cold Wisc winters and allow some seepage. It all sounds bogus to me. What are your thoughts? Is smoke being blown up my skirt?
100% perfectly normal for the Dart. The fans on the radiator don't kick on until right before 230 degrees. Normal operating temp in cool weather is right at 190-200, in the summer time normal temp is right around 200-210. If you get stuck in traffic, you will be 210-220.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine gets that hot too but it doesn't stay there long. The radiator fan will bring mine down to 200 pretty quick. I've never had your coolant problem. I also have a 2015 GT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
mecarrysars
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing